AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Somis CIH Masking System

31K views 119 replies 41 participants last post by  R Harkness 
#1 ·
I recently installed a motorized masking system on my 120 inch Stewart screen and have it set for wide open (2.35) and 16 x 9. I purchased it from Somis Systems. I believe I was their first customer for this particular product.

Since I was their "Beta" customer, the documentation was not anywhere near acceptable but they have since remedied that (I have a copy of the most current documentation).

The company spent time with me on the phone to work through the install process since the documentation lacked clarity. My guess would be that to install the non-motorized version would take less than a couple of hours at most given the current documentation. Much of the system comes pre-assembled.

It works like a champ. Each mask currently operates independently via remote. I know they are in the process of upgrading the electronics package for the system.

If you are in the market for a motorized (or manual) masking system, check them out. Their pricing is WAY less than the competition. The retail on my motorized system was $1490. The manual system is considerably less (and is upgradeable to a motorized version).

And, of course, the apparent improvement in black level with the masks in place is dramatic.

See less See more
#77 ·
I thought I'd chime in and offer an update on the masking systems/screens.

My efforts of late is to finalize the trim for the screens. The "fit and finish".

This is important, since the screens are also "furniture". The challenge has been to keep the cost down, and yet achieve a professional look.

I thought this would be "duck soup", but it proved to be more difficult than I originally thought. Besides a nice finish, it has to be easy to assemble.

Well, I had a breakthrough last week, which means that I shall be able to offer pictures shortly.

The delays can be agonizing, and I appologize for them. But, I am committed to building a quality product.

All the best-

DON

#78 ·
Has anyone heard from Don?

Don I tried calling you. Not sure if you still have the same number but give me a call as soon as possible. Thanks

#79 ·
Hey Chris-

Yes, still here. Just been busy.

Now that I have the trim worked out, I can take some pictures and start uploading them. I had my upholstery guy attach the velveteen to the MDF. Turns out that he's much better at it than I am. I guess I'll stick to the engineering.

I have been using the screen in 16x9 mode, simply because my A lens is not up. But, I can say that it has been quite a pleasant experience none-the-less.

I'm using a "proprietary" 1x gain screen material (non AT). Looks good with my Panny. The screen frame can accept any screen material, AT or non-AT.

Don

#80 ·
Hi Don,

I've let you a message and a PM and I'm sure you're busy. I was hoping to catch you before the weekend, as I'd like to see if you can accomodate a curved screen. Please contact me. Thanks!

-Giovanni

#84 ·
Don,

PM sent to your website

#87 ·
I spoke with Don a week or so, ago about a curved screen application. He was still working on the motors for the masking systems, which is a key factor for both the flat and curved screen masking systems.

Though I do not work with Don directly (nor am I associated with Somis) I too am waiting on a masking system from them and suspect that Don will update his website, once he has a fully functioning system to offer us. Just my 2¢.

#88 ·
Is this a DIY kit Don/Somis is selling, and therefore it's in the DYI section of the 2.35 forum.

Or, is this a turnkey and fully approved system that you install but don't really do DIY.

IF so, this thread should be moved to the "parent" 2.35 CIH chat forum?

I'd like to see the system pictures as well, and expected prices, the website is still under construction.

#89 ·
I believe any kind of "kit" would have a DIY component, because assembly and mounting of a masking system over a screen can never really be "turnkey".

Like a garage door opener... All home improvement stores sell them, and most homeowners could install one themselves - but many would not consider it "plug and play" or "turnkey".

Watch the forum. From what I've read and heard there is likely to be more than one person offering a masking "kit" in the coming months.

Paul

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex /forum/post/19340495

Is this a DIY kit Don/Somis is selling, and therefore it's in the DYI section of the 2.35 forum.

Or, is this a turnkey and fully approved system that you install but don't really do DIY.

IF so, this thread should be moved to the "parent" 2.35 CIH chat forum?

I'd like to see the system pictures as well, and expected prices, the website is still under construction.

It was originally in the 2.35 section but a moderator must of put it in the DIY section for some reason. I don't know why..

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarmouche /forum/post/19340805

I believe any kind of "kit" would have a DIY component, because assembly and mounting of a masking system over a screen can never really be "turnkey".

Like a garage door opener... All home improvement stores sell them, and most homeowners could install one themselves - but many would not consider it "plug and play" or "turnkey".

Watch the forum. From what I've read and heard there is likely to be more than one person offering a masking "kit" in the coming months.

Paul

Where have you been reading this info? I would like to read it too haha

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/18590531

I will be starting a 16x9 screen masking thread next week for Somis. My system should be here by next week.

Hmm...it's been around 5 months since you posted that. Such optimism.

Any word yet?

I'm amazed at your patience. I hope it will be rewarded soon.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/19411191

Hmm...it's been around 5 months since you posted that. Such optimism.

Any word yet?

I'm amazed at your patience. I hope it will be rewarded soon.

Haha Rich I don't even need to answer that, I think you already know

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M /forum/post/19439117

Chris,

With this system having gone quiet, I guess I'm not too out of line posting this ...

masking system from Oz

I remember hearing about this system.. Any idea when it will be shipping? And has there been a price set?

#98 ·
Hi Peter,

I don't mind as such, but there are a couple of issues I have.

I'd rather have a thread dedicated to my system so as not to encroach on this thread.

The other issue I have is that my system is by no means a DIY system. It's a full blown commercial unit, so it doesn't belong (or deserve to be relegated to) here.

There was a thread in the main 2.35:1 section that someone else started, but it was deleted for unknown reasons. As I wasn't the starter of the thread, I was not told why it was deleted.

Chris, so as not to break any rules of AVS, you'd be better off to contact me over at DTV (see Peter's link) or shoot me an email at chris@aspectmasking.com . Shipping will be Feb 2011 by the looks of it, and yes, pricing has been set. As Peter said, pre-orders are closed, but as I'm still waiting on some deposits to come through, we may be able to squeeze you in. Shipping is the biggest killer though...

Cheers,

Chris

#100 ·
have you tried emailing and calling recently? it would be a pity if that has happened again.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. /forum/post/19496124

have you tried emailing and calling recently? it would be a pity if that has happened again.

Kinda hard to do that when his web site is "under contruction" and his phone # has been disconnected.

Can't tell you how dissapointing this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.