My DIY Curved AT Screen With Masking - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all, I moved into a new apartment and decided it was a good excuse to make a new screen to accompany the anamorphic lens that I had built a few months prior. Its a curved frame and Center Stage XD material. I absolutely love it. The masking is a simple manual solution, since I don't actually have a screen wall I had to be simple about it. Also, I guess it kinda looks funny since it sits off of the wall, but a tv stand under a tv would be sitting out just as far. The gf wasn't initially pleased with the idea, what a surprise right?, but after seeing the end result and realizing she no longer sees as many speakers she is happy. As with most of my projects I forgot to take pics all the way through, so here are some from when I remembered to start taking pics.

Putting the framing together, placed the CC in its spot because I was excited and wanted to see how it sat.

A side shot to show how the curve is established.

Most of the frame together and the inner border installed.

Tried to get a pic to show the curve.

Side shot shows it better.

Border, screen, speakers, equipment, wiring installed but not done yet, just usable.

The sides need work and masking to come.

Masking frames.

Bottom masking.

Bottom masking test fit.

Side shot of finished screen. Masking off showing full 2.35:1. The masking is actually sitting on the sides.

Screen viewed from the entry.

Seating, PJ, and Lens.

Masked down to 1.78:1

Full 2.35:1. Sorry for the odd angle that I'm holding the camera, not sure what was going on there.

What the sides look like with screen masking in place.

What the sides look like when 2.35:1 is fully exposed.

I am incredibly happy with the outcome of this screen, and the quality of the Center Stage XD material. I wish I had taken pics from beginning to end, but I was just thinking about getting this thing done. Feel free to ask questions about it and for specific pics. I will get some screen shots once I figure out how to get this crappy camera to work with me. As you can see my camera lens could use a cleaning! Let me know what you think. A thanks to this forum for being here and all the members that keep it going, its been my crutch since I discovered it in 2006.

-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sean,
How do your masking panels attach to the screen frame when in use ? Sorry if I missed that if you had already mentioned & I missed it.

Thanks for sharing your build, looks realy great.

John
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Nice job!! What unique approach for apartment living. Landlord might require that you leave it there with the projector when you leave enjoy.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi John, I probably left that out, and most likely a lot of details, sorry. They are attached magnetically. I bought cabinet door magnets from HD, and attached metal angles to the frame of the masking. The magnets are screwed into the back of the top of the frame facing the ceiling and the masking "clicks" right into place. Same thing on the side of the screen for storing them. I'd be more than willing to take pics for you if you would like to see it, just let me know.

-Sean
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you didn't have a curve I'd have suggest steel framing. Then the magnets could go be glued to the masking and connect to the cloth covered fabric really well. I might have to try this
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter View Post

If you didn't have a curve I'd have suggest steel framing. Then the magnets could go be glued to the masking and connect to the cloth covered fabric really well. I might have to try this

The way the masking attaches is really nice and works better than I expected it to. Also, the plus side is that the screen is just as deep as the masks are wide so storing them is much easier than it is for others, since they are magnetically held to the side of the screen as well.

-Sean
post #7 of 9 Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As per a request, here are some images of how the masking works.

You can see in this image that the masking has 2 simple 90 degree brackets screwed to the back. Then there are 2 magnets screwed into the back of the screen's frame to hold the masking in place. The magnets are just basic cabinet door magnets found at HD.

Here is another pic showing the other 2 magnets that are used to hold the masking on the side of the screen when storing them for 2.35:1 use.

In this one you can see how the brackets sit flush on the frame, the magnet actually lifts toward the ceiling to cling onto the bracket.

I hope this helps everyone understand how my masking works. Its pretty simple and works like a charm!

-Sean
post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That is very cool. Does it actually need the magnets?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

That is very cool. Does it actually need the magnets?

You got me curious, so I had to check.

On the front of the screen, it appears that it needs the magnets, I guess because of the small lip on the bottom of the screen that makes up the "entertainment center" portion.

However, on the side of the screen (for storage) the magnets appear to not really have any use other than a guarantee that the masking panel is going to stay in place. Gravity and friction seem to hold the panel on their own just fine.

-Sean
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page