Looking for Fixed Masking Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some advice on how to mask around my screen material. Take a look at the attached photo. I will be stapling Center State XD to the opening in the middle and then building masking panels for the top, middle, and 2 sides to create the 2.35:1 screen. I am looking for advice on what to build these fixed panels out of. They will not be removed, except for an emergency. Should I use foam or plywood. I know I will wrap in velvet for a total velvet wall. Should I build one of the sides with a hinge for easy access. Or should I make them removable? Really looking for some advice here.

And also, what should I incorporate into these fixed panels to allow for the placement for removable side panel for 16:9 masking. I am fine with manual removable panels. I was planning to go with neodymium magnets, but maybe there is a better option.

I am really excited to get my room done and am really looking for some advice here to finish up my screen wall. In our old house I just mounted a screen on the wall and put the speakers on the side, so this transparent false wall is new to me.

Thanks,
David
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Your wall looks similar to mine with one advantage, it's not curved. So much easier to make removeable framing like I did.

I made my framing out of PVC wood ripped down to 1 inch strips and fitted into place with friction. You can you use convetional wood but look for something that won't easily warp, actually for this reason I may recommend the PVC wood as well. Just make cross bracing I did.

You can see how I went about it starting on this page of my thread. Good luck.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...020419&page=23
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is velvet material typically acoustically transparent to let bass through from a woofer?
post #4 of 5 Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Actually another person on the forums recently used velvet material to do just that. He did some basic stuff to see if the material should be AT enough and it seems like it is. In paticular he has no complaints with the material in front of his subwoofer. Here is a link to his thread page where he is covering this. Starts with post 1383.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...683853&page=47
post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-2011, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr224 View Post

Is velvet material typically acoustically transparent to let bass through from a woofer?

Totally. Sub bass frequencies are not stopped by much given their wavelengths which are long, so tend to pass through pretty much any type of material.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page