DIY Curved AT screen with Somfy based automated masking - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 124 Old 01-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2008 View Post
Just a couple of thoughts. I believe the video you reference is for a CIW masking system that was accomplished with one motor and a Somfy spring for the lower mask. CIH will be a little different and if one motor is used you will need a pulley system. The beauty of the bungee cord is it simple and very low profile which was one of Moggie's objectives as he wanted to keep the masks very close to the screen to avoid any shadows. The negative is that you need two motors for this approach which is expensive.

I am not familiar Rollertrol, but I did reference a Somfy product that has RS485 capabilities which I believe would eliminate the need for a separate controller. See below:

Somfy 1000658 Sonesse 30 (ST30) RS485 24VDC Shade Motor

http://www.avoutlet.com/index.php?di...roduct_id=5114

By the way, Somfy does have cheaper motors that are a little nosier and do not have as many stop positions. I think they can be set up only for IR with an open, close and one immediate position. I am going from memory, but I believe I am accurate.

Thanks for reply and the link.

I still think it can done with one and somewhat simplifies it in that they would move in sync if driven by same motor. I'm envisaging a single motor located vertically in the middle of the screen (I will have plenty of space behind) pulling the left and right together (both pull cords would be attached to the spool and when it rotates, it winds them both in). then each would need a spring/bungee to return the masks as the motor unwinds the cords. If i could do it with one, I'd spring the extra $150 for the somfy motor.

Will definitely give all options some though

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 Old 09-30-2016, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
 BTW the leading edge of the masks is made from the aluminum extrusion used to hold door brush seals (McMasterCarr part # 8813T13) with the last 2" machined/filed flat to fit under the frame.
I'm just beginning my mask project. got the Somfy's and had a few questions.

Why this part for the mask edge and not just a flat aluminium bar? I was planning to user a 2-inch wide (either 1/8th or 1/4 aluminum bar).

Quote:
The masks were made from GOM FR701 with a 2 1/2" pocket on the leading edge sewed from felido velvet. The holes in the aluminum allowed me to keep the fabric tight at the ends. This isn't a very good picture but it shows the no stretch edging strip made from iron on hemming tape (single sided) on the back side of the panel. This has the added advantage of stopping the GOM from fraying.
If I understand correctly, you took a 5-inch strip of velvet, folded it in half and sewed it onto the GOM?

Can you elaborate on the holes keeping fabric tight

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by MalevolentHamster; 10-01-2016 at 06:09 AM.
post #123 of 124 Old 10-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Several folks have asked me for the list of Somfy parts I ended up using. Here is the list with updated part numbers (because Somfy has made it even more confusing!):

[x2] Somfy Sonesse (ST) ILT2 504S2 Motor (110V AC) Round Head Motor #1030077 (#1030053 for star head version)
Note: you don't need the limit setting tool if you use the 4ILT interface.
Note: make sure you get the ILT2 version of the motor (see 4ILT data sheet)
Note: I used the round rather than star head because of the lower profile end allowed it to mount closer to the screen frame
Note: this can be programmed for 8 different stop positions per motor. Two of these positions can be triggered by contact closure; all can be retrieved via IR or RS485.

[x1] Somfy RS485 4ILT interface #1870130. Check out this page for more information.
[x1] Somfy IR Sensor #9154205
[x1] Somfy IR transmitter- IRT803 #1870132

Hardware for motor attachment
[x2] 2" roller blind tube #1781148 (or equivalent)
[x2] Somfy LT50 Idler End10 MM #9420800
[x2] Somfy LT50 Idler End Bracket 10mm #9410635
[x2] Somfy LT50 2" Soft Clip Drive #9206089

Tools:
Pop rivet gun to attach soft clip drive to tube

Optional:
RS232 to RS485 convertor to control 4ILT interface from a computer or A/V equipment (assuming you don't want to use IR)

Hope this helps.
Hey Moggie

Just got my ILT motors (506 RH) and my 4ILT; however, it seems I need to inject 12v into the line somewhere, Seems this can be done with the single motor tap or just putting two x 12v lines into RJ45 that carries RS485 in 4ILT.

I hooked up via RS485 DIRECTLY to motor, so just 110v and RS485 and Gnd (pins 1 and 3 IIRC) from USB to RS485. I can read serial no, etc, but cannot write anything (always get errors) or male motor move

Did you connect a DC supply anywhere on yours?

TIA

Mark

post #124 of 124 Old 12-21-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
FWIW and FYI....

Regarding the Somfy motors, I have been amazed by my curtain panel track system (I use it for side masking) that uses Somfy motors. The motors came with a remote control and up to 7 programmable pre-set stopping points. I then used those 7 pre-sets in my universal remote and added macros for additional stopping points. So I'd choose the closest pre-set point, then add the command to jog a bit more open or closed.

It's been going about 6 years now and the motors still stop on a dime, exactly as programmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Constant Height

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page