A few questions from a newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently built a simple screen and am now looking for a projector for it. The more I look and learn, the more I am being swayed to optimize my setup for 2.35:1. As a matter of fact, I am already drawing up plans in my head for a curved 2.35:1 screen even though I haven't used my current screen yet. In any case, I am a bit confused by the interoperability between a screen and projector for both 2.35:1 and 16:9 use. I think I have the basics down but maybe someone can help make sure I'm on track.

First, just so I am clear on this, it is not currently possible (at a reasonable price) to properly project a 2.35 and 16:9 image from the same projector without the grey bars unless an anamorphic lens is utilized or the projector has a native 2.35 aspect ratio, right?

Does using the memory zoom/focus feature in, say a Panasonic AE4000 work reasonably well or is it a significant compromise compared to an anamorphic setup?

If I do utilize an anamorphic lens, does the lens have to be removed when displaying 16:9 or 4:3 or can it be left in place the entire time?

Are anamorphic lenses able to be effectively applied to any projector or does the projector have to be "anamorphic compatible"?

Concerning the screen, a curved screen is only recommended for use with an anamorphic lens, right?

What would the effect be if I built a curved screen and then watched 16:9 or 4:3 content on it?

What about a curved screen without an anamorphic lens? Would it make any sense to use a Panasonic AE4000 with a curved screen but not anamorphic lens?

It seems to me, at least at current time, that a constant height setup is a balancing act between price, adjustability and picture optimization. Basically, if you spend enough you can have everything auto adjust and display the proper picture. To do it at a reasonable price though, you are going to have to make compromises in that you will have to adjust your system manually each time you switch ratios, or you will have to settle for a less than perfect picture.

Can someone point me in the right direction here before I make a big mistake?

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Just adding that I'm in the same boat as yourself. Lots of choices.. I know I want a 2:35.1 for the big movies. How I'm going to get there is still up in the air... Way up..
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post

First, just so I am clear on this, it is not currently possible (at a reasonable price) to properly project a 2.35 and 16:9 image from the same projector without the grey bars unless an anamorphic lens is utilized or the projector has a native 2.35 aspect ratio, right?

Correct.

Quote:

Does using the memory zoom/focus feature in, say a Panasonic AE4000 work reasonably well or is it a significant compromise compared to an anamorphic setup?

If your going to use the Panny's zoom feature, do not use a curved screen.
Quote:

If I do utilize an anamorphic lens, does the lens have to be removed when displaying 16:9 or 4:3 or can it be left in place the entire time?

I leave mine in place all the time as I am still using the full 1080 vertical pixels regardless of the AR. I do this because I have an optimized curved screen and if I remove my lens, I get barreling.
Quote:

Are anamorphic lenses able to be effectively applied to any projector or does the projector have to be "anamorphic compatible"?

The term you have given refers to projectors with the ability to Scale for CIH. If you purchase one that doesn't, you would then need to purchase an outboard scaler.

Quote:

Concerning the screen, a curved screen is only recommended for use with an anamorphic lens, right?

Correct

Quote:

What would the effect be if I built a curved screen and then watched 16:9 or 4:3 content on it?

With the lens in place it is all good. Without, the image barrels.

Quote:

What about a curved screen without an anamorphic lens? Would it make any sense to use a Panasonic AE4000 with a curved screen but not anamorphic lens?

No due to the reasons I explained above.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply CAVX. Very straight forward and informative. Looking at the specs of the Panasonic AE4000, I believe it can scale for CIH, right? If so, I am thinking that projector (or it's successor) is going to be my best bet based on it's combination of flexibility, price and relative quality. Seems that I could use it initially on my flat screen to zoom 2.35 images and it would also eventually be compatible with an anamorphic lens and curved screen setup without needing a scaler. I was going to go for the Epson 8350 due to it's performance to price but it would ultimately cost more and create more issues if I wanted to do a CIH setup.

I am always open to suggestions on projector but I don't think I want to spend much more than $2000 on it. I am also interested on your comment about your optimized curved screen but I will do a search and some more research on that.

Thanks again,

Matt
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post

Thanks for the reply CAVX. Very straight forward and informative. Looking at the specs of the Panasonic AE4000, I believe it can scale for CIH, right?

Thank you. Yes I believe the setting is called ZOOM 1 for Vertical Stretch and you use 4 x 3 for Horizontal Squeeze.

Quote:

If so, I am thinking that projector (or it's successor) is going to be my best bet based on it's combination of flexibility, price and relative quality.

Ease of use too.

Quote:

Seems that I could use it initially on my flat screen to zoom 2.35 images and it would also eventually be compatible with an anamorphic lens and curved screen setup without needing a scaler. I was going to go for the Epson 8350 due to it's performance to price but it would ultimately cost more and create more issues if I wanted to do a CIH setup.

If you buying a projector that Scales, best to get one that does both VS and HS as some only VS.

Quote:

I am always open to suggestions on projector but I don't think I want to spend much more than $2000 on it. I am also interested on your comment about your optimized curved screen but I will do a search and some more research on that.

Thanks again,

Matt

The easiest way to ensure the screen matches the pincushion your correcting is to have the projector and lens set up first. You can then take actual in room measurements to ensure you get it right the first time.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page