AVS Forum banner

Magnetic support for anamorphic lens

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  CAVX 
#1 ·
I know most people mount the Anamorphic Lens with a sled of some sort, but what about using magnets? I was thinking of creating a mount that is 100% removable. Using powerful magnets I could assure the exact same placement each time I use the anamorphic lens. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I just don't like the look of the sleds I could afford on my budget.

At this point I plan to do this in my dedicated theater with a Epson HC8700UB and the CAVX MKII.

#2 ·
Lenses are heavier than one would think, I know there are magnets that are powerful enough to hold the weight however it takes a lot of force to seperate them and they also colide pretty hard when coming together. I'd say it probably won't work as well as you'd think.

-Sean

#3 ·
Yeah, I would not be too keen to hang my lens from magnets.

#5 ·
I came up with a cool idea, but it is totally overboard lol. You could build a slide for your lens that uses partial maglev technology. Basically its a track that has magnets on the top, sides, and bottom. Next the lens sits on a platform car that has arms that flow down the side of the track and then bend to the underside of the track. There is very small space on all sides between the platform car and the track. The platform car is also equiped with magents facing the top, sides, and bottom of the track (however these magnets have to be placed the same as the ones on the track; so if the negative side of the magnets are face up on the track then they must be negative face up on the platform car leaving the negatives facing eachother and pushing away from eachother). This gives you a lens sled that literally hovers and is frictionless. Over the top? Yes! Cool? Yes!

Just an idea, it would probably be the only maglev lens in the world, lol.

-Sean

#6 ·
Am I understanding this right? You built a magnetic mono rail for the lens slide? If so, very cool and yes quite over the top.

#8 ·
That is probably a little more than I was looking for. I just want something that can be removed. I really do not like to look of a DIT sled, and I cannot afford a real one. I might try something with bolts and channels. I have a few other ideas. Since I do not have my CAVX MKII yet, I did not know how big and heavy the lens is.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoudouze /forum/post/19758645

Since I do not have my CAVX MKII yet, I did not know how big and heavy the lens is.

An MK2? Big and HEAVY. Allow at least 10KG (22lb) support weight!

#10 ·
I got the MK2 yesterday. HOLY CRAP!! If I had known the size and weight, I would have never asked the question. This thing is massive, but very well built. Plus, it has a sled system built into the base. I did not know about that when I purchased it. Nice job CAVX.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoudouze /forum/post/19789800

Nice job CAVX.

Thanks
Yes it is big and heavy, however nowhere as big and heavy it would have been if it were possible to CA correct it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.