New DIY Anamorphic Lens design, possible cheap CA correction? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but after doing a ton of testing with different materials and liquid filled prisms to try and get rid of the CA that comes from the DIY anamorphic lens, I think I might be onto something. With some help from the DIY anamorphic lens pioneers and after a lot of research, Knowing that the prisms must be doublets, reversed, and made of different materials, I noticed I had 2 trophy prisms and 2 french prisms.

Making 2 pairs of a trophy and french prism together, each reversed to form a new prism, now made up a DIY, not bonded version of a doublet. One thing I noticed was that these would make a great DIY VC lens, if your throw is long enough. Have to do more testing on this.

It would also be nice if someone else could try this, that might have the materials already on them. Anyways I hope this works out the way I would like it too, Longshot, but I can dream...

Big Thanks to the AVS community...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plewacka View Post

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but after doing a ton of testing with different materials and liquid filled prisms to try and get rid of the CA that comes from the DIY anamorphic lens, I think I might be onto something. With some help from the DIY anamorphic lens pioneers and after a lot of research, Knowing that the prisms must be doublets, reversed, and made of different materials, I noticed I had 2 trophy prisms and 2 french prisms.

Not to rain on your parade. The problem here is that both the trophy and the French prisms are made of the same material (BK7). Only the angles are different, so at best, you might succeed to reduce the CA (a partial cancellation), though you will not eliminate it.

You might have better results using 1 Perpex and 1 glass prism to make your new prism. Of course bonding is required as well or you end up with horrid reflections on screen.

To eliminate the CA, one of the prisms NEEDS to be made of a different material and have an angle of such, that it now has the same refractive index as the other prism in the doublet. With the apexes opposing, basically, you have an optical version the same as if 2 equal and opposing forces combine, the result being cancellation, and that is the goal here.

This is in part is why the original liquid filled VCs that were made at DIY Audio used water + oil. As it turned out, a VC needs not be CA corrected as badly as a HE because the CA runs horizontally, not vertically like it does with HE lenses and because a VC compresses the image, you don't notice it as much.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page