post #31 of 44 Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I bought some nice black velvet and just hung it with Velcro to see how it would work
eek.gif
I was amazed it was so effective. I'll have to redesign it with some foam boards at the least but I've never had a 2:40 screen and that's what it looked like and I felt like I was at the movies.

It is awesome! Welcome to the club!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 10-21-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't get the video to work. I have a 120" 2.37:1 screen and anxious to learn how to add side masking. I'm extremely un-handy, too. Haha.
post #33 of 44 Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

I can't get the video to work. I have a 120" 2.37:1 screen and anxious to learn how to add side masking. I'm extremely un-handy, too. Haha.

Link fixed for the video. Should be fine to play there in the thread now. Thanks!

post #34 of 44 Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I finished mine. I bought six rare earth magnets for $20 but could never get them working for me.

In the end, I have L brackets (upside down) that hang the top mask on. I attach the bottom using C hooks on both the screen wall and the mask panel.

So, its a little job to setup but well worth it.

I was sad to have to watch the Dark Knight Rises without the masks due to the variable aspect ratio ( the Bane of the CIH setup.)
post #35 of 44 Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I finished mine. I bought six rare earth magnets for $20 but could never get them working for me.
In the end, I have L brackets (upside down) that hang the top mask on. I attach the bottom using C hooks on both the screen wall and the mask panel.
So, its a little job to setup but well worth it.
I was sad to have to watch the Dark Knight Rises without the masks due to the variable aspect ratio ( the Bane of the CIH setup.)

yea had the same experience last night.. set up my mask.. popped in dark knight... ahhh...foiled again! i hope this isn't a sign of things to come with future movies..

post #36 of 44 Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks alot for posting this. Your video really shows it. I monkeyed together my own similar system before I saw your post. I am using two eye-hooks screwed into the ends of the mask panels and then there is two screws sticking out of my soffit that I hang the panels on. Not as pretty as yours. So I am going to try the magnet idea. I am using rigid pink insulation for my panels and wrap them in blackout fabric. I tried sticky metallis duct tape but thats not doing it. What type of tape did you use with the fabric?

Epson 6020UB Projector
Dalite Contour HighPower Manual Pull Down
Denon AVR3311CI
Sony PS3
B&W CDM-7NT Speakers
post #37 of 44 Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Super cool masking technique! I've been thinking about doing something very cheap / homemade similar to this, but I may even just copy this entirely. I used to live in a big loft but am now in a much smaller condo, and think my new projector's 16:9 mode is just too useful for games and tv shows to try constant height setup, I think constant width as you have done is cheaper since 16:9 screens are probably cheaper (are they?). Also, vertical contraction anamorphic lenses are easier to do with less side effects than horizontal expansion, so I may make myself a DIY lens setup as well. I think it's just simpler to move my projector back a bit, because I'll be at the width limit of my living room anyways and can't really use 1.33x times that, so squeezing it down vertically + this type of 2:35:1 masking system could be the el-cheapo way to get very good brightness and image quality.

thanks!
post #38 of 44 Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Super cool masking technique! I've been thinking about doing something very cheap / homemade similar to this, but I may even just copy this entirely. I used to live in a big loft but am now in a much smaller condo, and think my new projector's 16:9 mode is just too useful for games and tv shows to try constant height setup, I think constant width as you have done is cheaper since 16:9 screens are probably cheaper (are they?). Also, vertical contraction anamorphic lenses are easier to do with less side effects than horizontal expansion, so I may make myself a DIY lens setup as well. I think it's just simpler to move my projector back a bit, because I'll be at the width limit of my living room anyways and can't really use 1.33x times that, so squeezing it down vertically + this type of 2:35:1 masking system could be the el-cheapo way to get very good brightness and image quality.

thanks!

Sorry for the delay, my Subscription setting wasn't right, so I didn't see your reply until now...

Often the 16:9 are cheaper, simply due to volume of production. Yep, the vertical masking is usually easier to do - just as you stated. If you do copy this (and I'm happy if you do!) please post some pics so we can see what you create. smile.gif

post #39 of 44 Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrockwater View Post

Thanks alot for posting this. Your video really shows it. I monkeyed together my own similar system before I saw your post. I am using two eye-hooks screwed into the ends of the mask panels and then there is two screws sticking out of my soffit that I hang the panels on. Not as pretty as yours. So I am going to try the magnet idea. I am using rigid pink insulation for my panels and wrap them in blackout fabric. I tried sticky metallis duct tape but thats not doing it. What type of tape did you use with the fabric?

I just used standard fabric tape from Joanns. I moved this last Summer, so I don't know how long that exact setup will last. It was a test design. On something more permanent, I would use fabric adhesive.

post #40 of 44 Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Liked: 10
Awesome work!

My only concern with incorporating such a system is getting shadows thrown from the bottom of the top panel onto the screen as my projector is ceiling mounted more or less at the height of the top of the screen.

Have you ever had any trouble with shadows?

Cheers!

[edit]
I suppose if I set it up right, I could have the top panel only *just* out from the level of the screen, and taper the lower edge if necessary.
post #41 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Ok I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure, how did you determine how big the masking would be? I have a 115in 16X9 fixed screed. And am about to get a new JVC PJ that can do cinescope. So I want to make the masking before I get the new PJ and am not sure how big the black bars will be. Thanks for any help.

James Reid:D
post #42 of 44 Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Ok I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure, how did you determine how big the masking would be? I have a 115in 16X9 fixed screed. And am about to get a new JVC PJ that can do cinescope. So I want to make the masking before I get the new PJ and am not sure how big the black bars will be. Thanks for any help.

Since this is a top-down masking system, the width is the constant. A 115 inch 16:9 screen has dimensions (assuming that 115 inch is the diagonal measurement) of 57" (tall) and 100" wide. A scope screen (using 2.39:1 as the ratio) has dimensions of 42" (tall) and the same 100" wide. So you would have 15" total to mask, 7.5" for the top and 7.5" for the bottom.

post #43 of 44 Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Since this is a top-down masking system, the width is the constant. A 115 inch 16:9 screen has dimensions (assuming that 115 inch is the diagonal measurement) of 57" (tall) and 100" wide. A scope screen (using 2.39:1 as the ratio) has dimensions of 42" (tall) and the same 100" wide. So you would have 15" total to mask, 7.5" for the top and 7.5" for the bottom.

Thanks so much, I was off by an inch, big help. Love the masking you did very clever.

James Reid:D
post #44 of 44 Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post
Nice, glad someone was able to pull and modify this idea some. So much fun to have the masks, isn't it?

I think sometimes we DIY guys tend to over-engineer (ok, pretty much all the time....) everything, and these simple and effective ideas are important. I use my masks all the time. I know lots of guys who built masks and don't take the time, they don't want to mess with getting the pressure fit right, or getting the velcro right, etc... with this idea, it is like 2-3 seconds to open and close them.

I hope some other guys take and tweak this idea even further. Ideas can always be improved, and when I get to making my next one I want to swipe those better ideas!
Really cool idea and can solve some space issues and storage issues of these panels, and as you mention it's relatively simple to achieve.

My main concern would be if there is any creasing apparent when unfolding the masks into position for the smaller screen. Are there any noticeable folds? I would hope the material being black and light absorbing and the lack of lighting in a HT would provide for enough darkness that it would be dang near impossible to see without being anal and inspecting from up close...
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page