Somfy motor control question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hoping somebody could help me understand what I would need here. I'm just looking at using 2 somfy tube motors for automated side masking. Trying to stay as low cost as possible. 3 programmed stops would be fine. If I go with the IR version can I control both motors with one remote or do I need another controller? What's the advantage of the RTS versions?

Basically I just want remote control to operate both motors simultaneously with 2-3 programmed stops.

Would this work? http://www.avoutlet.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1444
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Liked: 10
I'll try to help if I can. I did this a couple of years ago for my screen. You can see it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1229793/the-uniplex-build/30

As I got more and more into it, I kept running into more and more problems that needed figuring out. I was also trying to keep costs down, so I wanted a solution that only used 1 motor. So I ended up using Springs to bring it back open. I ordered that Somfy motor, but in the end it wasn't strong enough for me. because as it closed the tension built up in the springs and the one little motor couldn't handle it. I first switched to a winch that i got for a proof of concept then ended up getting a track motor from these guys:

http://www.firgelliauto.com/

I have it setup for IR control, there are no programmed stops (well besides fully open and fully closed) but I just hold the button down until it gets to where I want it.

Sorry I don't have any more specific answers to your questions about the Somfy motors, as I said, I only used one, but I'd be happy to help you out with any other questions.

Thanks,
Chris
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Chris! Now you have me wondering if the 30 will have enough torque. I'm going to use some sort of spring or tension to pull sides into closed position. Motor will "pull" open to 2.35.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomdaf View Post

Thanks Chris! Now you have me wondering if the 30 will have enough torque. I'm going to use some sort of spring or tension to pull sides into closed position. Motor will "pull" open to 2.35.

That is exactly what I did on my screen build using bungee cord to create a constant tension spring. It's almost at its two years mark and the system has worked flawlessly. Details in my build thread

Cheers.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Moggie. Your build is insanely nice and is what actually inspired me to try something similar. I don't have the tools,skills,time to pull off something as brilliant as that smile.gif I was hoping to pull of the "motorized masking for dummies" version. Do you have any feedback on the above linked motor? Could I control both with one remote? I've also been wrestling with different track ideas, I think a key component to your design is smooth tracks
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Thanks!
The motor spec for the 12v LT30 claims 10lb capacity using the narrower 1.25" tubing which should be fine. I think using it with a 2" tube (6lb capacity) would be a little weak. I will say that my LT50 motors have way more torque than I need.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page