Curved screen build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
OK, I am a man of few words. Kind of a 'just do it' fellow so I'll just post a few pics of what I built last night as my way of trying to give a little back to this forum.

I wanted a light weight, very sturdy curved frame to mount my screen onto so I bought a couple of very good quality 1x8 pine boards for the top and bottom and several cedar boards for bracing. My wife had me cut up a lot of the cedar I bought for projects so I ended up using what cedar I had left for the four center braces and had to find scrap pine 1xs for the remaining vertical pieces. The screen will sit on each corner and span 8' so I wanted it to be rigid. I braced each corner and where ever the cross braces joined with metal mending pieces.

The whole thing is light because I had to man handle it all by myself. The curved frame is 128" wide by 52" tall with a 40' radius.

I wrapped the whole thing in black velvet so no reflections can be seen thru the screen.

Laid the frame on the floor, took down the screen and laid it down onto it. simply screwed it down to the subframe.

Set frame and new screen up and cased with velvet covered door casing. Still need to stretch out a few wrinkles but watched a little 'Fringe' on it last night and didn't really notice wrinkles.

It is a kind of subtle thing. I don't think most people are going to walk in and say "OMG, that screen is curved!!!". I think its going to be more like "hey, is that screen curved?"

I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
YOU INSPIRE ME! NICE JOB
post #3 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks man. Nice to get positive feedback
post #4 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Amazing job Ed much nicer than mine and I still am amazed by mine. I know we talked the other day
but have you tried the Elite 2.2 at fabric yet? I think that is what I need as well is more gain.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2.2 gain????
Haven't heard of it. I would like to try it
post #6 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think that elite 2.2 is a fabric , is it?
post #7 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

No I was mistaken!!!!!!!! I am going to repaint and give that a try. With 400 lumens I need me some gain!
post #8 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You'll be getting the gain this Sumer when the new LED projector comes out
post #9 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

How true that is. Just bought a Yamaha DPX-1300 new for 800.00 so might be awhile before I
change projectors. So lumens are at a premium.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Ed can you post a shot of the front of your cabinet with the lights on? I am mounting my screen and building
a stage and want to see how you finishesd yours off?
post #11 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It's a lovely job, I didn't see which A lens you use with it though. Was there much calculation involved to work out the amount of curve you needed to resolve the pincushion of the lens and what do you do for 16:9 content that doesn't use the lens (or do you leave the lens in place?).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #12 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Greg, it's never done. You know that but I will get a pic up soon. May just be fr my iPhone though
Kelvin, thanks. I use a Panamorph 480 which I am blessed to have. Unlike everything else in this hobby I don't plan on replacing it with another more expensive lens It just works and works very well. Calculation was easy. I just put a 40' radius on the sucker. The hard part was finding a space large enough and clear enough and warm enough to anchor one end of the 40' string to.
I initially was going to leave the lens in place, but I like the extra resolution on 16:9 material using the full projector panel so I simple run the image over onto the velvet frame and all is good with the lens removed.
Next project is to cut into the wall that is in front of the projector booth so I can build a module for the lens that will slide in and out for scope material
post #13 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sounds a great set up 40' radius must have been hard to do (my UK living room is just over 20' long so no room for that here. I should leave my Isco II in place as it's really meant for a fixed installation, but I prefer like you to remove it for 16:9 viewing (I just use the zoom memory on my X35 to make up the slight difference in image height). Having a sled sounds cool though. cool.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #14 of 20 Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Very nice job Ed!
What fabric are you using?
Is it AT?
post #15 of 20 Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks Mike, the fabric is Seymour XD Centerstage. I really like the screen material. It is very tough and easy to work with in this situation. Even though people say it isn't as bright as it claims, I think it definitely has gain to it. The image is quite a bit brighter than what I have seen holding unity gain screen samples up against it.

Mike, I have an infinite baffle array (4x15) across the front of my theater. I am thinking of adding 4 more 15s somewhere. I've got a nasty null where my seat used to be. I've been trying to move out and away from the null but I cannot get the dBs I want. This is with 4 AE 15 ib woofers and a Mackie m2600. There was one brief time when I was experimenting with a Sherwood receiver with Trinnov processing when the bass was amazing but I haven't been able to replicate that since. I may build 4 boxes with the woofers and experiment with room placement.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

thanks Mike, the fabric is Seymour XD Centerstage. I really like the screen material. It is very tough and easy to work with in this situation. Even though people say it isn't as bright as it claims, I think it definitely has gain to it. The image is quite a bit brighter than what I have seen holding unity gain screen samples up against it.

Mike, I have an infinite baffle array (4x15) across the front of my theater. I am thinking of adding 4 more 15s somewhere. I've got a nasty null where my seat used to be. I've been trying to move out and away from the null but I cannot get the dBs I want. This is with 4 AE 15 ib woofers and a Mackie m2600. There was one brief time when I was experimenting with a Sherwood receiver with Trinnov processing when the bass was amazing but I haven't been able to replicate that since. I may build 4 boxes with the woofers and experiment with room placement.

With your AT screen are your mains in a baffle array?
Your front wall is 2" OC703?

I'm curious as that is where I may go in 2015, upgrade to 4k PJ, PS4, etc.
As is, my DW laminate screen is a "acoustic challenge", being curved focusing my rear surrounds into point sources at specific spots in 2 seats, of course only I know the exact location.....

I'm on the multi-sub approach myself to complement my IB sub, I've got these 2 subs waiting for some sealed boxes,
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446659/multi-sub-help-adding-diy-18-and-12-sub-to-4-x-15-ib-line-array-possible-diy-triangle-18-sub-24-sides-x-34-face-x-32-tall-5-5-cu-ft

Read this on multi-sub approach, http://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

member Erich H has flat kits for subs, makes it easy to buy and build quickly;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1379949/more-flat-pack-kits-coming

order page
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/subwoofer-flatpacks-2.html

The "hot" and new subs in town are 15" and 18" subs are made by SI, there is another pre-buy sale going on, you might get in on that and save some $'s
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/65190-si-ht-18-d2-pre-order-info.html#axzz2LW5QHC2O
Quote:
Due to the popularity of the 18" HT subwoofers we have decided to open up another pre-order for them. The pre-order has staggered pricing as follows:

$162 + S&H until Feb 28'th
$175 + S&H until the woofers arrive
$190 + S&H after the woofers arrive
post #17 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My mains are 3 Def Tech BP-30s, the infinite baffle is made up of Acoustic Elegance 15 woofers.

I would think it should be pretty easy for you to take out the solid screen and put the Seymour XD in its place. That should help with your parabolic reflector problem.

those SI woofers are tempting but I already have 4 more AE15s that I purchased for an infinite baffle build for the kid's theater that I may use in the house theater. I have a couple black widow 18s that I may throw into the mix if I'm feeling lucky. The bass in the kid's theater is way better than the array simply because I knew better what I was doing in that build and built the room to the golden ratio. I am using a single 12" Velodyne subwoofer out there.

I will read up on the links you gave. I am not inclined to take a bunch of measurements and use a program to figure out what I need even though I know that would be best. As a musician I never could get too deep into music theory, I just liked to play the music.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Ed;
My PJ is 5+ year old Sony VW60, I get a new bulb every 1,200 hrs of use.

The AT fabric I'd be concerned with the image being too dim vs my DW laminate on 130" screen, even in my batcave.

That's why I've targeted 2015 for 4k PJ with good light output, then upgrade the screen also, go to baffle wall.
(7+ years on a PJ seems decent ROI, since I paid $4k then = $575/year + bulb...., and that PJ still amazes me nearly every time used, my younger brother loves my hand down to him)

Totally understand on "listen to the sound", as engineer I love fact based objective info and data, but in the end its our subjective ears and braind that are judge and jury!
Some people forget that, and at times when my OCD kicks in I need my wife to bring me back to reality.....

Wow, you've got a few sub drivers to "play with"!
Get to it, that's what Winter is for these inside projects so come Spring/Summer can enjoy the outside....
post #19 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I remember Jones'n for a VW60 when they came out. The advancements in tech are both a blessing and a curse. My last projector should have lasted me over 7 years but then I started hanging out on AVS again rolleyes.gif.

I wish I was more technically proficient and could do all the graphs and such. I have owned a Behringer feedback destroyer for years but never figured out how to run it. I'm good at building stuff but not so good at the technical side of electronics. When stuff turns out awesome like the kid's theater because I learned the proper ratios with which to build the room, it makes me wish I had the patience/inclination to delve into the technical side cause I know it would be a lot better if I did. The audio stuff can be VERY technical.

Is there any such thing as too many subs? I have several amps that could drive them. I don't know how I would get the signal to three different amps though. Is there a subwoofer signal distribution thingy? I may start with an 18 in one front corner and start adding subs from there.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Duh...... I have one of these. I suppose I could use this.

http://www.celabs.net/products/av-distribution/composite/item/av700

it will pass a signal down to 10Hz with unity gain on all seven outputs.

I have definately been hoarding/buying too much AV stuff for way too long
Reply DIY Constant Height

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page