What is the most gain on AT Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning to do a 140" diagonal cinemascope AT screen. I'm planning to use it with either the pannasonic 8000u or the mitsu hc7800, do I need to have an AT screen with a gain. I would like to know if I can do a DIY AT screen with a 1.4 gain. Is that possible? Thanks. I don't want to go into the details of the building because I'm couple of month away from my ht build where I start building the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 View Post

I'm planning to do a 140" diagonal cinemascope AT screen. I'm planning to use it with either the pannasonic 8000u or the mitsu hc7800, do I need to have an AT screen with a gain. I would like to know if I can do a DIY AT screen with a 1.4 gain. Is that possible? Thanks. I don't want to go into the details of the building because I'm couple of month away from my ht build where I start building the screen.

You wont find a AT screen with 1.4 gain, highest Ive ever seen is 1.2 but most are lower. You will not fill a 140" screen with the 8000 in best mode.

Murray Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

You mean that is not going to be bright? What is the highest that I can go with an AT screen?
post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean that is not going to be bright? What is the highest that I can go with an AT screen?

It will be bright if you dont care what the colour looks like, "best mode" will not be bright enough, you will have to use one of the video type settings. The highest gain AT screen is a 1.2

Murray Thompson

post #5 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

It will be bright if you dont care what the colour looks like, "best mode" will not be bright enough, you will have to use one of the video type settings. The highest gain AT screen is a 1.2
So how big can I go with a cinemascope or 16:9? What projector with lens memory will fill a 140" cinemascope?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So how big can I go with a cinemascope or 16:9? What projector with lens memory will fill a 140" cinemascope?
You can go to 140" scope with a AT screen if you use one of the new JVCs. Im using the new X95 with a 150" AT scope screen but I dont use the lens memory I use an anamorphic lens. Check out my HT in my signature, you will see the screen.

Murray Thompson

post #7 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Here is a formula that you can use:

Achieve at least 16 foot lamberts brightness in calibrated, 'Cinema' mode assuming you have a completely light controlled room (higher brightness if this is not the case). This is calculated as 'lumens/screen area (sq. ft.) x screen gain. You will need to find what the calibrated brightness of the projector is in lumens. For the Panny, 'The PT-AE8000 measured 602 lumens calibrated in "best" mode' according to ProjectorReviews.com

So, your maximum screen size will be: 602/16 x 1.2 (assuming the highest gain screen possible) = 45.2 sq. ft. or a 122" diagonal (16:9)

If you use an anamorphic lens for a 2.37 screen, you will get away with a 124" width by 52.3" high (134.6" diagonal) (This factors a 10% brightness loss due to the lens, although good lenses lose much less light).

You may also factor in bulb dimming over time, so your screen sizes will be even smaller.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page