AVS Forum banner

Using A-Lens. To Curve screen or not to Curve

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  stanger89 
#1 ·
Using JVC-RS45 and Panamorph U480 A-lens Seymour 2.35 Acoustically Transparent XD Screen

Hi All,

I'm looking for folks that have owned or have seen both curved and flat screens and their thoughts about each product type. Or if someone lives in the central Florida area that has a 2.35 -2.40 curved screen prefer an AT type screen that I may come and audition and see for myself the immersive impact that can come from using one of these screens or maybe there is distortions that maybe noticeable when viewing movies on it. Maybe curved is or isn't for me but I won't know until I see it. Any help would be great

Thank you

#2 ·
If you are ever in central Indiana you can see my RS 4810 with 2.35 curved Seymour XD screen 120'' wide. I like it

#3 ·
Oh, I have a Panamorph 480 but haven't used it for about eight months. I am going to get it installed soon, it does make a difference but the zoom method on this screen with this pj is quite impressive to. I guess I am in for another upgrade once I get the A -Lens reinstalled

#5 ·
The purpose of a curved screen is to eliminate (actually compensate for) the pincushion that an anamorphic lens causes. The biggest downside is you don't want to remove the lens when not watching scope because it will cause barrel distortion without the lens in place.

Ideally you want to make sure to match the radius of your curved screen to your throw ratio (I think there's a calculator floating around here that can tell you the right radius) otherwise you "risk" compounding the distortion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.