AVS Forum banner

200" screen materials

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MississippiMan 
#1 ·
Hello Guys,

Got some inspiration reading about "monumentally" screen build with MississippiMan's assistance.

Would like a 200" diagonal acoustically transparent 2.35:1 cinemascope screen, using silver & white matte milliskin spandex.

screen size - 78" high and 184" wide (6.5 by 15.3 feet)

Could anyone suggest where the fabrics can be procured or any other suggestions.

apologies if this has been discussed, I have not been able to find it.

re, freezone

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezone  /t/1494526/200-screen-materials#post_23828952

Panasonic ae8000u

The Panny is not going to be sufficient. I hope that is not a decision set in stone.

At a minimum / maximum throw of 21'-9" and allowing a generous 0.9 gain using a bright white over light silver Milliskin, all you'll be getting is 7 foot lambert of reflective brightness off the screen.

While that would be enough for a highly reflective mix such as S-I-L-V-E-R (1.4 gain+ = 11 fls) it's just terribly low for anything short of a TRUE Black Cave location....and even then.....

The only hope I see would be to choose one of the Metallic Spandex varieties. At 200", the PJs beam would be pretty dispersed, perhaps allowing for less localized Hot Spotting and a higher degree of overall reflection.

A better...much more appropriate choice in a PJ would be the BenQ SH940 1080p @ 4000 lumen / 50K:1 CR

The BenQ was made for your application delivering a full 24 foot lambert from a Throw of 25' - 7" The only advantage the Panny has over the BenQ is Lens Memory....both still waste the unused Image field area.

But with the BenQ you can use the tried & true White/Silver Milliskin combo, because that 24 fl reading is based on a surface with just 0.8 gain.

I've used the SH940 and it is a splendid machine with good uniformity and excellent color. If it is any help, I also install the 8000 very frequently and if push comes to shove, if you do presently posses one and it's in the BOX but non-returnable, before you open it, PM me and if I have a place for it...I'll take it. If it's used at all, list it in the AVS classifieds.

I wish I didn't have to come down so hard against that 'ol Panny, but if there was ever a case of sending a Boy to do a man's work, this is it. He might get something done...but almost anybody will say he was just too weak to do the heavy lifting.

As far as the source for Spandex, Spandex World is usually the "go to" place. The width of 4-Way Stretch spandex is such that you will have to stretch it to it's maximum pull on the Screen surface side, but the rear could consist of tow pieces so it would not be as Light porous. And I would use White over White in your situation to maintain every bit of light usage I could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.