AVS Forum banner

Firgelli actuator instead of a sled?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  CAVX 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Looks like a cost effective product. Clearly it has way more power than you need -- it looks like it is built for strength rather than finesse. I didn't look too closely but I'd make sure that it has sufficient lateral accuracy since I assume you want to use it as the linear guide and not as an actuator. I.e. you want the lens to return to the same position each time.

#4 ·
Actuation time, precision, repeatability, size, aesthetics, control methods, etc. But, search the forum, there were some old threads with alternative transports. One guy cobbled one together with lego robotic parts IIRC.

IMO, if you can't swing the ones made for the job then:

a) anything is better than no transport. (e.g manual transport)

b) any automatic thing is better than a manual transport.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray  /t/1500788/firgelli-actuator-instead-of-a-sled#post_23985136

One guy cobbled one together with lego robotic parts IIRC.
Based on what was in the YouTube video, that was fast too. Don't know how long it would last though.

#8 ·
I am in the process of building myself a new slide. Initially it will be manual and I am thinking of using an actuator later on. The actuators I found online have the range of movement I need, just not sure of their speed. My train of thought is to set this up so that the zero point (lens in light path is the compressed point and that it doesn't really matter where it pushes the lens, so long as it out of the light path. That way it doesn't matter if the extended range varies a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.