AVS Forum banner

diy panamorph uh-480 build

8K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  armstrr 
#1 ·
[U

I have a couple of pics floating around. Thought I would consolidate. Hope it helps someone. Many ideas have been borrowed from AVS members. Thanks for sharing.

Shelf is 25x25" 1/4" aluminum plate as is the 7.5x4" slide tray. Free

Linear bearings courtesy of eBay (and China!) Around 65$...could have saved some money by buying shorter rails...ended up cutting them down quite a bit. Final length about 16.5"

Hammered tone spray paint

I drilled and tapped for a few 1/4" 20 bolts to secure lens bracket to tray. I elongated mounting holes on said bracket to make it adjustable.

The final result ended up with the 480 too high, so I painted up 4 non skid sanding "buns" to act as risers

The shelves are heavy duty (800lbs/pair) and have a built in lock...they attach to slotted standards.

The recess you see was to gain the furthest throw distance possible..approx 13'7" and is drywall on poured concrete. As a result...the standards are kitterally rick solid.

I used small angle brackets which secured the aluminum plate to the standard and therefore tied the PJ shelf to my concrete basement foundation wall. You would not want to hit your head on the corner if the shelf...doing so would require stitches, yet not shake the projected image one ioda.

Recessing it also moves the PJ out of the back row isle as much as possible and minimizes chance of head vs immovable object.

I will edit this later with some links and check my grammer...cell phones suck for editing!

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks great, man. I'm using a pair of high quality ball bearing drawer slides, but yours is definitely a step up from that. How do you like your lens?

#8 ·
Other than watching Kate beckinsale beat the ****e out of collin Farrel fir half an hr, I haven't used it. I was shocked at how little adjusting the uh480 seemed to need to "do its thing. Slide it in front, wiggle it a little bit (rotate), tilt down...boom. OK...I'm exaggerating a little. I haven't done any critical viewing since I find it difficult to criticize ms beckinsale... But it looked great to me. I'll do some more critical viewing asap. Pumped!

#17 ·
I too am amazed at how forgiving and easy to set up the 480 is. WAY easier than other anamorphic lenses I have tried. I had my 480 sitting on a shelf for over a year, content to zoom with my JVC4810 and considered selling it. Man, am I glad I pulled it out and set it up. Much more lifelike picture with the lens in place.

Nice job on the slide!

Reactions: mtbdudex
#9 ·
Looks great! Do you have any 'stops' on the ends of the rails? Would hate to see someone push it too far and have it come off the end unexpectedly...

#10 ·
True! I don't have any stops just yet...well sort of. I put some painters tape in the rails...the bearing tolerance is so tight it won't go past without massive force. I will either drill tap and install a bolt or put a couple angle brackets. Either one will go between the rails and not be visible from the front

#11 ·
very nice job sir!

There is a sophistication out of metal working.

Who cut your big 25" x 25" 1/4" alum plate dogleg?

My 1/4" alum plate was 6" wide, used my miter saw with carbide tip blade and just worked very slowly lowering into the plate.

#12 ·
I cut it from a 4x8.sheet with a Milwaukee jigsaw and someone spraying the blade with wd40. I cleaned up the edges at a12" disk sanding station. I do have a cold cut saw, but never pulled it out of the attic. This was my first time working with the stuff. I cut the dogleg so as little as possible was sticking out into the isle. Also, to allow the machine to breThe. I used a 1.5" hokesaw in a couple of spots by air intakes. A round file to clean up the sharp edges. An orbital sander preped the surface for paint. I basically treated it like wood( with which I am much more familiar)

#14 ·
The linear slide bearings were around $60, if I recall...but I bought a set with rails far longer than I needed and had to cut them...eBay has all sizes so you could save 10 to 15 there. The1/4 " aluminum was free...I have no idea what its value is. Add about $4 for bolts and screws. I owned the tools and blades already, so under $70.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr  /t/1523592/diy-panamorph-uh-480-build#post_24798741

The linear slide bearings were around $60, if I recall...but I bought a set with rails far longer than I needed and had to cut them...eBay has all sizes so you could save 10 to 15 there. The1/4 " aluminum was free...I have no idea what its value is. Add about $4 for bolts and screws. I owned the tools and blades already, so under $70.
How much was the lens?

#21 ·
Just have it mounted as close as possible in front of your PJ lense such that it does not touch and can slide. The lense is very forgiving. I moved it around a bit and did not notice degradation of the image. I too was looking for instructions that said " place lense exactly x millimeters and..." but didn't find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.