Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Lumagen owners weigh in?

Hey guys -

In a few months will be setting up a dedicated theater room (modest) with a Sony 55 ES or 40 ES.

I am considering a constant image area setup so we can enjoy the benefits of both flat and scope widescreen films.
That means a screen around 2.00:1 or so. Still deciding really. Two screens is not an option, the Sony's only have manual zooming, and I prefer the Sony over the JVC due to gaming. Viewing habits are 80% Bluray, 20 % gaming.

Question is - do the Lumagen products allow you to shrink the image WITHOUT the non linear scaling? In other words take a 1:85 film or 2.35 film and enlarge/reduce without stretching, so it retains pixel perfect proportions? I would mask the bars with something using black velvet material or the like.

I know it may be an odd question, but I was curious in case I found the non linear scaling objectionable.

Thanks -

Kevin D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Yes, see the "Shrink" settings described in the manual.

For a 2.35 movie you use no scaling, and the black bars spill off the top & bottom of the screen. For 1.78 you need to shrink on all 4 sides. IIRC you can set the shrink to an exact number of pixels on each side independently.

Then you save all these settings into the aspect ratio buttons on the remote. After that, one button press on the Lumagen remote (16:9 or 2.35) will switch to the desired mode.

Setup can be tricky for the uninitiated, especially since your configuration is not common.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Yes, see the "Shrink" settings described in the manual.

For a 2.35 movie you use no scaling, and the black bars spill off the top & bottom of the screen. For 1.78 you need to shrink on all 4 sides. IIRC you can set the shrink to an exact number of pixels on each side independently.

Then you save all these settings into the aspect ratio buttons on the remote. After that, one button press on the Lumagen remote (16:9 or 2.35) will switch to the desired mode.

Setup can be tricky for the uninitiated, especially since your configuration is not common.
Thanks Scott that is great to hear !

If the customization is that flexible, I can be very initiated
Reply DIY Constant Height