DIY masking panels for 2.35 setup... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-03-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2.35 screen 103.1" wide viewing distance. That makes 16/9 images 78" wide and 4/3 images 58.4" wide.

I was thinking of making some inserts to rest on my screen frame while viewing material that is not 2.35. My idea was maybe MDF or something lighter (plastic?). The first 2 would be 12.5" wide. Put 1 on each side to "mask" a 16/9 picture. Then the next 2 would be 9.5" wide. Just put them next to the first 2 pieces and there ya have a 4/3 picture. I figure cover them with some black velveteen or black velour. Anyone tried this or have any input?

My one question is that HDTV is 1.78 (16/9), but most DVDs are 1.85...would that make a difference? I haven't really paid attention to DVD vs. HDTV on my screen to see if there was any difference in width. I'm sure its negligible, but my PJ is away for repairs...thats another story.

Any ideas, questions, comments, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated (you could also thank me for such an AMAZINGLY brilliant plan!

I tried this with cardboard and it looked AWESOME, but cardboard was not strong enough to allow me to pull the velvet material tight enough. Picking up something different tomorrow if anyplace is open that is.

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain View Post

Any ideas, questions, comments, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated (you could also thank me for such an AMAZINGLY brilliant plan!

It's been done already. Cinemax came up with a system which he called the "Gull Wing", and I built one from MDF and it works a treat

I didn't bother with side masking for 4 x 3 as how many 16:9 screen have side masking for 4 x 3?

And yes it looks cool...

I usually start the DVD in 16:9 mode with the sides closed. When I am ready to do 21:9, I change the mode on the projector first (projecting onto the side masking) and then open the masking. It gets a great response from visitors because they thought the screen was big before...

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

It's been done already. Cinemax came up with a system which he called the "Gull Wing", and I built one from MDF and it works a treat

I didn't bother with side masking for 4 x 3 as how many 16:9 screen have side masking for 4 x 3?

And yes it looks cool...

I usually start the DVD in 16:9 mode with the sides closed. When I am ready to do 21:9, I change the mode on the projector first (projecting onto the side masking) and then open the masking. It gets a great response from visitors because they thought the screen was big before...

Mark

Nice theater, I've seen a lot of your posts, but never your setup. What speakers are those? Klipsch THX Ultra? Also, do you remember where those gull wing instructions are? I was thinking of building a masking system using black curtians mounted to the top of my screen, but not sure how practical that is.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've been experimenting with some foamcore and duvetyne, cutting the foamcore then attaching the fabric with spray adhesive. Very light, and the adhesive means there's no tensioning to be done so the relative lack of strength is not an issue.

Quote:

You have quite the flair for the dramatic.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #5 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The easiest way to do this and have the ability to mask any AR including 1.33, is to get some curtain track hardware and hang black velour with a 2" masonite strip sewn into the inside edges to maintain a straight edge.

If you want it automated, Camarillo Cinema can design and build either a stand alone masking or integrated curtain/masking system, including remote control and up to 10 presets.

Vern
post #6 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 AM

I'm putting together a 2.35 masking system for my theater that uses curtains and MDF masking panels that ride on a seperate track. The panels are covered with black velveteen, and are pulled along by the curtains.

I built a "mini-me" prototype, and shown is one curtain side with panel. The curtain controller has up to 10 presets. I have also prototyped a system for a curved screen.

Don
LL
post #7 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagercola View Post

Nice theater, I've seen a lot of your posts, but never your setup. What speakers are those? Klipsch THX Ultra? Also, do you remember where those gull wing instructions are? I was thinking of building a masking system using black curtians mounted to the top of my screen, but not sure how practical that is.

Thank you. The speakers are custom designed and built and therefore wear the CAVX badge.

It looks like the thread you are chasing has been removed It was started by Cinemax and described a quasi " SDDS" system...

How long do threads stay before they are archived?

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #8 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just use a simple corded curtain track with black velvet curtains, and pull the cord to open and close them (just like a real cinema). It works well. What we did have to do was sew in a slim pocket at the edge to fit in a piece of wooden dowel (it was almost flat with a slight curve) so the edge was nice and straight.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain View Post

That's what I did for mine, I essentially have a couple of "shutters" at each end that are "open" or "closed" depending on the AR. Low-tech, but it works well. I used 1/8" MDF.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

These ideas are all good and look great, but not my taste. I just want leaf inserts if you will. I purchased some panel insulation at HomeDepot (6 pieces for like 8 bucks) They are 48x3/4x14. The are rigid and stiff enough and very light. I also purchased some velvet material. Just staple-gunning the material onto the stiff,styrofoam type material.
Like I said 2 leafs for 16/9 and add 2 more for 4/3. I think they will give a VERY nice defined edge. My frame is like 1" deep before screen so they will rest nicely and not touch the screen.

I didn't want to do anything with curtains, pulleys, and don't have more than and inch on each side of my frame so "gull" wings or anything like that are out. Nothing permanant. I'll let you know how they look and maybe take a few pics. Thanks for the posts though its always neat to see what others are thinking/doing.

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #11 of 24 Old 07-08-2006, 06:59 AM

Here's a better picture of a curtain with masking panels.

Don
LL
post #12 of 24 Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Any ideas of what curtain material would be best when using an acoustic sound screen? Something with enough transparemcy but also that absorbs some light?
post #13 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Tukkis,

I have been using some black speaker grill felt for the walls in my room so that I can have black walls and not effect the existing accoustics (which seem fine so didn't want to alter anything). It's an accoustically transparent material like ordinary speaker grill material, but being more like felt it is more of a matt black and has no shine like ordinary speaker grill cloth.

I think I would try to use that if I were to have an AT screen and all speakers behind the screen. I may use some plush black velvet for the edges, specifically for the edge that will be next to the projected image, and make sure the speakers were just outside of it so the audio wouldn't be effected. Here in the UK we have a retailer called Maplins that sell it, so you may have something similar In Oz (Radio Shack in the US would be their nearest equivalent I guess).

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Gary,

Yeah I think it'll have to be something like speaker grill cloth. It needs to be transparent but also not reflective.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post

The easiest way to do this and have the ability to mask any AR including 1.33, is to get some curtain track hardware and hang black velour with a 2" masonite strip sewn into the inside edges to maintain a straight edge.

If you want it automated, Camarillo Cinema can design and build either a stand alone masking or integrated curtain/masking system, including remote control and up to 10 presets.

Vern

That works if you aren't using an acoustically transparent screen. I'm thinking Black FR701 for curtains in my theater.

Chers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

That works if you aren't using an acoustically transparent screen. I'm thinking Black FR701 for curtains in my theater.

Chers,

What is "Black FR701"?

Thanks!

Al
post #17 of 24 Old 07-21-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

What is "Black FR701"?

Thanks!

I believe it's an acoustically transparent material made by Guilford of Maine. Take a look at this link.

http://www.acousticsfirst.com/guilfrd1.htm
post #18 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

What exactly is foam core? Where do you buy it and about how much does it cost?

Thanks!

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #19 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 PM

I use a black linen material for AT masks. It is not quite as good of a light-absorbing material as black velevteen, but it works pretty well.

You may want to check out your local fabric store for material. Take a look at some linens, and see what's available.

best-
Don
post #20 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used black Dazian AT material over a black painted frame. As Don said, it's not as good as black velveteen, but it's pretty close. In bright room light, it looks very dark grey next to velvet, but I have to look pretty hard to see the half inch or so of overscan during a movie.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. The speakers are custom designed and built and therefore wear the CAVX badge.

It looks like the thread you are chasing has been removed It was started by Cinemax and described a quasi " SDDS" system...

How long do threads stay before they are archived?

Mark

Can you post a few pics of your masking panels with the room lights on ? It's real hard to see how you are doing it . Close-ups are nice too

Scott....................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #22 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

I use black foamcore wrapped in black velvet.

See this post and my JPEGs.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
post #23 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And yes it looks cool...

Mark

Bump

Hi Mark,
Do you have any photos showing your "gull wing" masking doors, showing how & where they mount to your frame, how they store next. Thanks.

John
post #24 of 24 Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Re-Bump !

Hey Mark @ CAVX,

Any photos of your "gull wing" masking panels on your screen ?
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page