Installing a black velvet border on my DIY screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
tr6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello, I'm building a curved screen for my new CIH setup and I have 3.5 border that I am thinking of covering with black velvet to hide any overscanning that I might have. Can anyone that has done it give me any info on how to install it. What kind of glue (spray or brush on) how to cut the borders (straight or diagonal) or any other info or ideas. The last screen that I built I just painted it flat black but because of pin cushioning and overscanning I think this would work better, Thanks
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Liked: 12
The curved part has thrown me, but I can tell you what I did recently.
I went to Home Depot and bought some nice molding that's 3.5 inches and tapered so that one edge is much thinner than the other. (The thick edge obviously being used on the outside of the frame.)

Then, I used some nice black velvet from my local fabric shop. I actually sewed a couple of strips together to make a piece roughly 120 inches long, and about 6 inches wide.

Then, I simply wrapped the velvet around the wood and used an electric staple gun to attach the fabric to the back side. I didn't overlap the fabric on the back side, so there were no significant buldges. Then, I used black panel nails straight through the fabric to attach the borders to the studs in the wall. (The vertical borders didn't line up on a stud, so I had to improvise a bit with regards to getting it solid.) The black panel nails left slightly noticable heads (even though they were very small), so I cut small pieces of velvet and used wood glue to stick them onto the heads... they totally dissapeared.

The trickiest part was folding the fabric over on the 45 degree angled corners of the borders so that the result wasn't bulging.

The end result looks fabulous.

Previously, I used flat black paint. The difference is remarkable... the flat black paint works, but the velvet is a tremendous improvement!
post #3 of 26 Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
When I did mine, I managed to use the same flocking that is used on the commercial screens - super black and self adhesive. The trick was to cover the commercial screen frame that I trashed during the curvature. To curve my commercial frame, I reversed it and drilled a hole right through the centre. I the ran a bolt through that into the timber of the screen rig. This allows me to precisely wind in the centre to custom the curve to any TR I am using.

I had my local board cutter make me a 3" frame to the exact size of the alloy frame and even got him to put 45 degree mitres for the corners and run an angle along the inside edges (16mm MDF and he ran the saw at 45* back to 6mm thick on the inside edge).

The trick to attaching the flock was keeping the MDF from bowing, but it worked out good.

I used 3" x 3" blocks in the corners to keep the frame rigid and this also gave me the spacing I needed at the ends. The frame is only attached in the centre by a ABS plastic L bracket (also 16mm) and is attached to the inside of the frame. The L is then pushed hard against the alloy, and then using a long blade screw driver, I fixed the screw vertically into the rig. The end result is that no mounting hardware is visible, and I have a screen frame that matched the original frame.

You can see the results in the new link I added to my signature...

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4 of 26 Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM

Liked: 10
Ditto on the staple method. I used the 3 1/2" wide mdf boards from HD. Lay the board on top of the velvet and to it with the staple gun. Its a lot easier if you got one of the good electric staplers for making your acoustic walls!

The ends of the boards are cut at 45 degree angles. Take your time and you can cover the end and it will look great. There is a tutorial from MM that shows how to cover the pointed end of the board.

I don't see any sag at all with the velvet. The curve in the screen is about 4" and it is 103" wide.

I used Sintra board for the screen material. Therefore, I was able to screw the edging directly to the screen material.

Soon to be posted are photos of the curved screen build process and the electric masking panels.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zductive View Post

There is a tutorial from MM that shows how to cover the pointed end of the board.
\\.

Zductive, I'd love to find that tutorial as that one step took me longer than all others combined. Do you remember where it is?
post #6 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 AM

I made a black velvet border for my screen with art & craft PVC mounting board as support, held to the frame with elastic bands. My screen is flat but the method should be applicable to a curved screen. I posted the construction of the frame here:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...r=asc&start=45

The text is in French but the pictures should give you a good idea how it is done.

BTW, wraping the corners of the fabric is a real pain.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Alain,

That screen looks very professional. Well done

I managed to translate the French site using Bablefish, but can't seem to find their CIH section - in particular the anamorphic lens section. Anyone got a link?

Mark

EDIT, never mind i found it in another thread

Mark Techer

post #8 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 06:21 AM

VTPete
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=865218

After reading this, I was able to tug and pull the corners into submission.

keyword wrap velvet frame angled end
post #9 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 AM

Thanks!
That's the same technique I ended up using after goofing around for an hour. MM: I wonder if he's still around? I recall many of his posts years ago when I was messing with my first DIY screen and always enjoyed them.
-VTPete
post #10 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
tr6

Thank's for all your ideas and comments guys, It helps alot.
George
post #11 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

MM is back in the DIY screen section. He was told not to start the same type of DIY screen chat in this forum...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #12 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks Mark,

It was quite a bit of work. And still a work in progress because I have not completed the side masking yet. The prisms have not moved from their box. The screen built took a toll on the SO who could not take it anymore to see our appartment converted into a workshop. Waiting for things to cool down before going into DIY again, watching movies in the meantime :-)
post #13 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The "SO"? Looking forward to seeing further development...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #14 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
tr6

Here are a couple of pictures of my progress so far, hope to have the frame finished somtime next week,
George
LL
LL
LL
post #15 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Very cool I love DIY...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #16 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Nice job on the frame.

Is there some sort of mathematical formula for figuring out how much curve to use, or are you just winging it?
post #17 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Although not a screen I sewed my own black velvet curtains. 35 yards of cotton Turkish velvet. Anyway I found out the hard way about the nap of the fabric. Again not sure if this is as important on a frame but it was required that I kept the fabric oriented in the same direction in order for it all to look the same. When I did sew two pieces together with the nap in opposite direction it was immediately apparent.

post #18 of 26 Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
post #19 of 26 Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
tr6,

Frame looks nice, keep up the good work and keep us posted.
post #20 of 26 Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 AM

Stick on velvet? Ya gotta be kiddin'! I just order 10 feet! I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but... come on, sticky-back velvet for goodness sake!

I think I'm going to cover my refrigerator with it!
-Pete
post #21 of 26 Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 AM
cjd

Oh hey! That frame assembly, along with a new crazy idea I had pop into my noggin last night as I was trying to fall asleep for the second time (we had a vagabond cat enter our yard, and one of our cats went ballistic at 1am screaming at it to go away... ours are indoor only cats too!), may make for an even simpler way of getting all of this stuff to work together. Rear-mounted tensioned screen on a curved frame wrapped in velvet... I'm going to have to give this a shot. I wasn't going curved due to the royal pain I anticipated it might be and the VERY tight distances I'm working with in my room, but with this! I think it would work. Would even allow for easy mounting of an acoustically transparent screen methinks.

FWIW I have found *nothing* as good as the Fidelio black velvet (red tracer in the edge-band, so a warm black). I've used this for years in photography where "black-hole background" was a must.

C
post #22 of 26 Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM

Hi Mark,

I tried to send you a private message to avoid polluting this thread but was denied permission to do so.

SO = Significant Others = My Wife and Son

They get nervous when I get close to a screwdriver...

BTW, Are you going to get distributors in Singapore for your lens? There is a big AV show in Singapore on 16-18 November. Any chance to see you there?

Cheers,

Alain
post #23 of 26 Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
tr6

Hello Gerry S, I used the advice that I got from Mark Techer (CAVX) to find out the curve.
"The best way to "ray trace" is to project on to a flat surface first.
Take a stick (broom stick is ideal) and mark the top and bottom of the centre of the light beam on the stick. This is the smallest vertical part of the image suffering pincusion.
Move the stick to one end. The pincusion effect will have the light spilling over the tape markers.
Move the stick out from the wall until the tape now once again matches the light beam.
Measure that distance from the stick back to the wall. That is your distance for your screen.
Bend the frame (if possible) to match the distance at each end with the centre secured to the wall."
Thanks again for your help Mark,
George
post #24 of 26 Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 AM

RE the stick-on black velvet: It arrived this weekend and I've been covering everything with it. My wife's iPhone was the first to be "improved."

Seriously, this stuff is cool. It's quite thin and easy to work with. It's not as nice as real velvet, but had I known about it earlier, I might have skipped the wooden frame ENTIRELY, and just stuck a black frame on the wall using this stuff. (Why build a frame, when you can "stick" a frame on the wall this easily?

-Pete
post #25 of 26 Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

MM is back in the DIY screen section. He was told not to start the same type of DIY screen chat in this forum...

Mark

Actually, according to Alan's intentions, this Thread should pertain to the creation of DIY CH Lenses and the pertinent required set-ups that utilize components not available via MFG specifically for use in such applications.

DIY CH is still DIY. At issue is what / how much of DIY 2.35;1 CH can/ should be elaborated upon. As evidenced by this separate thread, many people who purchase Mfg. Screen material want to make their own Screen Trim. Far fewer attempt to produce from scratch the Screen surface itself. But just the same, the DIY CH Forum does in fact contain many Threads / posts pertaining to a very many different aspects (bad pun?) of DIY-CH. I'm simply known best for espousing the virtues of DIY Screen making as a whole, so often my intent is subject to closer scrutiny than most.

That then was why the "Big Picture" thread was intended to provide DIY-CH'ers with a viable solution to what many seem to prefer to say was an impossibility; obtaining an affordable DIY 2.35:1 screen surface over 200" diagonal that could / would maintain a more than respectable amount of Gain.

But it's fairly hard to separate one aspect of DIY from another. What Alan related was to me was a statement that he did not want this Forum to contain excessive discussions about "How to Make Screens". My thread was very informative, and in actuality contained all that is needed for anyone to duplicate the end results. It was left up because it was / is beneficial information to many who are considering what is a very special project.

It was the continuing discussion and request for more info, and my own desire to provide such and/or elect opinions / responses that seemed to be leading to a decided focus on the DIY Screen" itself, and a potential for that thread to become a "Sub Forum" of the DIY Screen Forum...something Alan did not want to have happen, understandably.

Anyone needing / requesting DIY help on any aspect of DIY Screen making can always reach me via PM or Email.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #26 of 26 Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I used black velvet and it works great.The more expensive it is the blacker it is.

I used 2.5" molding. I just cut 45's on the corners and it fit like a window frame. I bonded it with the spray adhesive. I had to reapply in a couple of area's. Seems to be holding up fine.
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page