post #1 of 16 Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May be I'm thinking in a wrong way.

Our room is 20' Long X 15' Wide X 8' Tall
Projectors: Sony BRAVIA VPL-AW15 or EPSON PRO CINEMA 810

100% of the viewing in this room are for movies only using HD-DVD player (HD-A3). We are thinking about building a 2:35 ratio screen because most of the movies we rent are 2:35 format. I was wondering if we really need an anamorphic lens to fill up the screen if the DVD/HD-DVD is already in 2:35 ratio. Can't we just zoom the lens so that the pricture part will fill up the entire 2:35 screen? I understand that we will have to side mask if the DVD format is 16:9.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-07-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilav View Post

May be I'm thinking in a wrong way.

Our room is 20' Long X 15' Wide X 8' Tall
Projectors: Sony BRAVIA VPL-AW15 or EPSON PRO CINEMA 810

100% of the viewing in this room are for movies only using HD-DVD player (HD-A3). We are thinking about building a 2:35 ratio screen because most of the movies we rent are 2:35 format. I was wondering if we really need an anamorphic lens to fill up the screen if the DVD/HD-DVD is already in 2:35 ratio. Can't we just zoom the lens so that the pricture part will fill up the entire 2:35 screen? I understand that we will have to side mask if the DVD format is 16:9.

Please help.

You are correct. Zooming only is possible, but you will loose resolution (basically the pixels that are then 'wasted' for the black bars). For some people that is perfectly OK. You may want to check out this thread.
____
Axel

post #3 of 16 Old 12-07-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Axel,

Thanks for the reply and the link.

These panamorphic lenses cost about $500+ . I can't justify to spend that money for a PJ which cost only #1000.

Looks like we will have to live with zoom for now loosing some resolution.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You can go DIY route. Get the prisms, build a casing and the mount for it. Will probably cost around $200~250 + few days time. I built this way and now enjoying CIH.

There is tons of information on building these at AVSforum and DIYaudio site. I found most concise info at http://www.zuggsoft.com/theater/prism.htm

A Dude.

Manoj
post #5 of 16 Old 12-08-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

adude,

Thank you for the info on prism route.
My skill level for DIY stuff is medium level. Let me give it a try.
On to reading....
post #6 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 AM

I agree to try and go the DIY route. One day I will get a better lens but for now I will live with the one I am making. I just got my two prisms last week and plan on working on the lens sometime this week. Total cost for the whole lens (using MDF I already had) $93. Will be building mine according to the website listed above as well.

Priceless.

John
post #7 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

John,

Do you mind telling me where did you get your prisms from?
And what sizes you need them?

(Also curious to know how your project came up when you are done with it)

Thanks.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Many people here bought it from Crystal Factory or
Massillon plaque. I bought CWD57 from Crystal factory and got the Anti Reflection coating done in the AVS group few months back. Getting the 5"x7" prisms will ensure that it will work with most of the projectors but that's my opinion. When ordering the wedges, tell them to ship it with no engravings at all.

Couple of guys bought the prisms from Surplus shed (at ebay or their site http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l9113d.html). Buying from ebay is cheaper. These prisms are really small. So unless you have a very long throw projector, these won't work. Make sure about that before you order.

I built a simple MDF casing and sled mount using the keyboard shelf from Home Depot two weeks back. The experience is simply amazing. I am watching all the scope movies again.

Manoj
post #9 of 16 Old 12-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Just another guys opinion on zoom vs prism.

I bought my DIY prisms a LONG time ago it seems and I still have not built an enclosure for them yet. I had bought them even before my projector (Ended up with the Panny AX100U). Since I have gotten my projector in June or so of this year I have set the prisms up a number of times and have been very pleased with their performance... but... I am still using the zoom method the majority of the time.

Personally I don't think I'm missing much (if any detail) to my untrained eye with zooming. My content is now exclusively HD, I haven't watched a SD movie in months and I think the quality is so amazing my motivation to build an enclosure is very limited. Until I figure out my permanent mount for my projector I will continue to zoom.

I recommend contacting the mfg directly for the prisms and see if you can find them cheaper locally, I emailed the mfg and they send me a list of local trophy shops that they supply and I was able to pick up my 5x7's for $30 cdn a piece rather then $45 or so other places are selling them, and no shipping charge! Just a thought.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post

Just another guys opinion on zoom vs prism.

I bought my DIY prisms a LONG time ago it seems and I still have not built an enclosure for them yet. I had bought them even before my projector (Ended up with the Panny AX100U). Since I have gotten my projector in June or so of this year I have set the prisms up a number of times and have been very pleased with their performance... but... I am still using the zoom method the majority of the time.

Personally I don't think I'm missing much (if any detail) to my untrained eye with zooming. My content is now exclusively HD, I haven't watched a SD movie in months and I think the quality is so amazing my motivation to build an enclosure is very limited. Until I figure out my permanent mount for my projector I will continue to zoom.

I recommend contacting the mfg directly for the prisms and see if you can find them cheaper locally, I emailed the mfg and they send me a list of local trophy shops that they supply and I was able to pick up my 5x7's for $30 cdn a piece rather then $45 or so other places are selling them, and no shipping charge! Just a thought.

Building a casing is one thing but how do you all "set up" the prisims (pics please)? Also are the left and right edges of the image sharp just like the center of the image?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Mine are set up like this in the left side of the image

And a photo of my lens in a temporary mocked up housing

And a screen shot of the image on my living room wall at about 8' wide. Prisms are just sitting in the housing and are not mounted at all and can move easily

post #12 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Stunning, John. Thanks for posting.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #13 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

IMO, lens is better than zooming, but many others may disagree. Lens will give you more brightness, about 33% more than zooming. However, resolution gain is debatable, since the additional resolution that was created by the projector stretch was not there in the original content. Anyhow, an anamorphic lens will produce an outstanding and awesome picture when coupled with a good quality player and a projector.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

I bought CWD57 from Crystal factory and got the Anti Reflection coating done in the AVS group few months back. Getting the 5"x7" prisms will ensure that it will work with most of the projectors but that's my opinion. When ordering the wedges, tell them to ship it with no engravings at all.

Couple of guys bought the prisms from Surplus shed. Buying from ebay is cheaper. These prisms are really small. So unless you have a very long throw projector, these won't work. Make sure about that before you order.

I built a simple MDF casing and sled mount using the keyboard shelf from Home Depot two weeks back. The experience is simply amazing. I am watching all the scope movies again.

Hi adude
When you say you had your anti reflection coating done in the AVS group, what do you mean by that? Is there a service that does this? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
post #15 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

gordhome,

We bought the prisms and got the anti reflective coating done at L&L Optics in southern california. This is the thread where its discussed. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=822656

I am not sure if L&L optics does the coating for just one pair prisms, but try giving them a call.

Manoj
post #16 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Wish to note that there would be differences in coating. Some type of coatings could be different to others. One example is recent Panamorph upgrade from UH380 to UH440/480 which is an improvement to the coating.
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page