Entry Level Home Theater Installer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, my name is Mike. I'm an entry level home theater installer for a basic plasma hanging solution company. I want to learn more about. Well basically everything to do with this trade. But i want to start with high end projector home theater systems. Any recommendations as to where i should start my adventure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 PM

mounting projectors takes a lot of time and patience in order to get the picture size to match the screen size if they have one... as for flat panels its pretty easy. attach the two hooks to the bak of the tv... put the plate on the wall make a small hole to the right or left to run wires through... hang n plug n ur set
post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike73059 View Post

Hi, my name is Mike. I'm an entry level home theater installer for a basic plasma hanging solution company. I want to learn more about. Well basically everything to do with this trade. But i want to start with high end projector home theater systems. Any recommendations as to where i should start my adventure?

From what you've stated, I'd start with adjusting your expectations. People that are investing the substantial money for a 'high end projector home theater system' are going to look for someone that has significant experience in recommending and installing these systems. Sure, it'd be nice to skip all that tedious learning process and jump right to the higher potential return jobs, but I'd say start small and learn, learn, learn! ONLY THEN, IMO, are you going to be in a good position to compete for the bigger jobs.

I'm not a professional installer, just an enthusiast with a technical background, so it's not like I'm trying to discourage a potential competitor. How many young baseball players state that their first goal is to challenge the lifetime home run record?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'd second that. If I were someone looking to spend a significant amount of money to have someone build/install home theater components, I would definitely want references and a history of similar installations that have already been performed. I know it sounds like we are trying to disuade you from this, which isn't the case, there is just a lot more involved than just reading about it. I am definitely a novice compared to many on this forum, but there are many things that I picked up that could only be learned from trial and error. The forum is a great place to start, but nothing can replace experience.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Call all of the high end CI firms in your area and offer to work for free in return for the training you'll receive and a written letter of reference.

It's quite amazing how many ultra successful individuals got their big break by doing just that.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 06:51 PM

I see this is your first post. You are on the right track already, coming here to AVS.
Keep reading here as much as you can, check out the different forums.
Then in a month or so, with your experience from your current company, apply with a company that does bigger installations. You would work with(hopefully) a trained tech who would teach you more in a couple of months than you would learn on your own in a long time.
Network with your friends and their families.
What your looking to do takes time and training, so if your willing to invest in those things you will be a success!!!!
Know more than the next guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thats what i meant by the first post. I'm not looking to start these high end jobs right now. I'm looking to further my knowledge so that when the time comes, i know what I'm doing and i know how to do it better than the guy who bids before me. I am loyal to the company i work for now and i go to school so I'm not in the position to work full time for a higher end company. The company i work for now does some jobs that require thinking and i can basically solve any solution we come across (distributed HD video and smart home solutions). But i go to school 10 hours a day 2 days a week learning about running my future business financially and how to obtain a contractors license of different grades for things that i cant currently do. Anyways back to the original question. Where should i begin my study to get certifications and knowledge for what i need to do all of the prestige that i can come across. For example what do you think about CEDIA, and THX certifications and what / where should i study for the 500$ test? I'm willing to put all my time into learning everything I can to be one of the best.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post

Call all of the high end CI firms in your area and offer to work for free in return for the training you'll receive and a written letter of reference.

It's quite amazing how many ultra successful individuals got their big break by doing just that.

I do like that idea.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do like that idea.

I know it won't put any money in your pocket but in the worst case, you'll gain very valuable experience, training and build your credentials.

Make yourself so valuable they won't want to lose you and you may even get hired.

This is a really great field to work in. Good Luck!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 AM

Hi Mike, glad to see such enthusiasm for this industry - its probably one of the most rewarding industries to work in and one of the best things I have done in my life.

I packed my job in to start a custom install company from scratch. Just be like a sponge. completely and utterly soak up everything that you can get your hands on - including the likes of CEDIA and THX. there are plenty of people out there who say that '"mmm, this CEDIA thing isnt worth it" but it really does come down to an individual - and i'm glad i went through with it, its paid off and we're steadily growing.

The "work for free in exchange for experience" is also a very good way to start.

Stick with it and you'll slowly but surely get there if you have the passion and enthusiasm for it - there is nothing like the look on a satisfied customers's face. for everything else there's mastercard...

Chris

Importers & Distributors of Artcoustic Loudspeakers, CineVersum Projectors, Screen Excellence Screens.
Designers & Installers of Hi-End Home Theatre & Audio Visual Systems.
www.artcoustic.co.za
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page