Official OPPO DV-983H w/ ABT VRS FAQ/Dump - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3151 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Member
 
geeman503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well that is pretty sweet. You don't really need a PAL TV if the OPPO does the conversion work. I actually tried it set to AUTO and my TV told me "Mode Not Supported" or some such. Then I think I got Wrong Region message but I don't recall exact circumstances.

I'm running downstairs now to try it.

Thanks all very much. Because of this player I've been combing the bargain DVDs whenever I'm in a store. It all looks great especially with my newer LCD (Samsung A650)
geeman503 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3152 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drbonbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 5,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Well by all means, show him what the 983 can do then .

If your display accepts PAL, then set the 983 to AUTO and it will play the PAL format.
If your display does not accept PAL, then set the 983 to NTSC and it will convert the PAL to NTSC for proper playback.

Remember in order to access the function of PAL/NTSC/AUTO in the menu, that you have to have the drawer of the 983 open.

And of course it will probably help to set the 983 to multi-region as per the setup info on page 1 of this thread.

Quote:


REGION UNLOCKING

Press Setup.
Press "9210" in quick succession. A new window will appear.
Press "0". Your region is now multi-region.
Press Setup to Exit.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
drbonbi is offline  
post #3153 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
You may also need to change the region of the 983 from 1 to 0 if you haven't already.
Here is the process...

Press Setup.
Press "9210" in quick succession. A new window will appear.
Press "0". Your region is now multi-region.
Press Setup to Exit.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #3154 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Got me by a wisker Dana .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #3155 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Member
 
geeman503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love you guys, er, well figuratively of course.

EDIT: Success! I'm multiregional. Thanks again. I gotta get watching now!
geeman503 is offline  
post #3156 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Suffern, NY, USA
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

smooth,

You're way off on this one IMO .
The 983 was not produced to compete with Blu. It was created to make SD-DVDs look the absolute best they can, along with being an awesome universal player for SACD, DVDA, USB interface, ect...
The 350 and any other HDM players have NONE of those features .
You may say that HD media is native 1080p and looks so much better than SD... well of course it does... but the amount of content available on HDM pales greatly to that same scenario with standard def media. There are thousands of dvds in consumers collections that are not on Blu-ray, and will not be for a very long time. ESPECIALLY in obscure genres that cater to niche markets. THOSE titles may NEVER be on HDM.

So the 983 holds it's ground for what it was made for, and manufactures like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, ect... continue to be lacking in all the areas where the 983 shines brightly.

You've nailed it, end of discussion.
videonut is offline  
post #3157 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
hodges69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

smooth,

You're way off on this one IMO .
The 983 was not produced to compete with Blu. It was created to make SD-DVDs look the absolute best they can, along with being an awesome universal player for SACD, DVDA, USB interface, ect...
The 350 and any other HDM players have NONE of those features .
You may say that HD media is native 1080p and looks so much better than SD... well of course it does... but the amount of content available on HDM pales greatly to that same scenario with standard def media. There are thousands of dvds in consumers collections that are not on Blu-ray, and will not be for a very long time. ESPECIALLY in obscure genres that cater to niche markets. THOSE titles may NEVER be on HDM.

So the 983 holds it's ground for what it was made for, and manufactures like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, ect... continue to be lacking in all the areas where the 983 shines brightly.


I have seen the 983 look as good as BD or HD-DVD on certain discs....And overall.IMO,the space between the PQ is not that far apart...
This is one hell of a player....
hodges69 is offline  
post #3158 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

I have seen the 983 look as good as BD or HD-DVD on certain discs....And overall.IMO,the space between the PQ is not that far apart...
This is one hell of a player....

Especially on a 50" and smaller display. The BD fans hate to hear these kinds of comments, I can hear them now ............... "you're gonna kill BD before it ever gets a foothold if you keep talking like that". That's not what this player is all about.

John
antennahead is online now  
post #3159 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Member
 
esimms86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Earlier today I listened to Porcupine Tree's DVD-Audio reissue of their "Lightbulb Sun" album. Very, very impressive on the 983. My living room was alive!
- Esau
esimms86 is offline  
post #3160 of 5594 Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Toonces T. Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Deep South Texas
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut View Post

You've nailed it, end of discussion.

I have over 2500 SD DVDs and counting. With the superb quality of the 983's scaled image there is simply no way I will ever spend the money to upgrade them all to BD...and here's the kicker...IF they are ever remastered to the BD format.

I love the technology and I have always been an early adopter, but I love the films far more than the media!

In my SD collection, I have 157 titles that I meticulously transferred from LD to SD DVD. Of these 157 titles, none of which have ever made it to commercial DVD, I would be very surprised if any of them ever see the light of day in the BD format. Now I not only get to see them, I get to see them in 1080p! Do they look as good as a well mastered SD DVD?...Of course they don't. But hey, when was the last time you got to see Song of the South, The Enchanted Cottage, Electric Dreams, or the Al Jolson Collection in 1080p?

Even better, I actually have 11 films transferred from VHS that never even made it to LD let alone DVD and some of them are lost little classics like Wise Blood, Adam at 6:00am, and Wings of Courage.

With the 983 OPPO has extended the life of my collection probably longer than I'll get to live...and they've given me a good reason to press on with my own little private film preservation project.

-Toonces

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
Toonces T. Cat is offline  
post #3161 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Wow Toonces . I hope you have backups of all those stored away in a safe place .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #3162 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 AM
GSB
AVS Special Member
 
GSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 3,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces T. Cat View Post

I have over 2500 SD DVDs and counting...

Man, he needs a whole HOUSE for that collection! Nevermind the backups!

Gary
GSB is offline  
post #3163 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 06:24 AM
Member
 
John Hodson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lancashire, U.K.
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces T. Cat View Post

I have over 2500 SD DVDs and counting. With the superb quality of the 983's scaled image there is simply no way I will ever spend the money to upgrade them all to BD...and here's the kicker...IF they are ever remastered to the BD format.

I love the technology and I have always been an early adopter, but I love the films far more than the media!

In my SD collection, I have 157 titles that I meticulously transferred from LD to SD DVD. Of these 157 titles, none of which have ever made it to commercial DVD, I would be very surprised if any of them ever see the light of day in the BD format. Now I not only get to see them, I get to see them in 1080p! Do they look as good as a well mastered SD DVD?...Of course they don't. But hey, when was the last time you got to see Song of the South, The Enchanted Cottage, Electric Dreams, or the Al Jolson Collection in 1080p?

Even better, I actually have 11 films transferred from VHS that never even made it to LD let alone DVD and some of them are lost little classics like Wise Blood, Adam at 6:00am, and Wings of Courage.

With the 983 OPPO has extended the life of my collection probably longer than I'll get to live...and they've given me a good reason to press on with my own little private film preservation project.

-Toonces

I'm in exactly the same position (I stopped counting when I realised, with not a little horror, that I'd passed the 2,000 mark...and I reckon most of those will never make it to BD); my 971 has done sterling work for the past two years, but recently jumping from a 42" to a 52" screen made me long for something with a little more oomph - I'm drumming my fingers waiting for my 983 to ship - can't wait!

I'm debating whether to add a BD player as well (though I'd prefer it to be Oppo badged), but we'll see how the 983 copes with the likes of something like The Searchers first...

Thanks for a great thread chaps; helped me to make up my mind.
John Hodson is offline  
post #3164 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 AM
 
wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post

Earlier today I listened to Porcupine Tree's DVD-Audio reissue of their "Lightbulb Sun" album. Very, very impressive on the 983. My living room was alive!
- Esau

+1

I wish the audio capabilities of the 983 were more discussed here.

My Redbook CDs and SACDs have never sounded that good!
wojtek is offline  
post #3165 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Blues In Thirds
 
javry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
so why don't you kick off the discussion? How about a review?
javry is offline  
post #3166 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Toonces T. Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Deep South Texas
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson View Post


I'm debating whether to add a BD player as well (though I'd prefer it to be Oppo badged), but we'll see how the 983 copes with the likes of something like The Searchers first...

Thanks for a great thread chaps; helped me to make up my mind.

I hope nothing I wrote came across as an anti-BD rant because that was not my intent. I plan to buy a player later this year with the Godfather restoration as my first purchase. I think the BD format is great. It's just not great enough to run out and replace all of my SD DVDs.

The jump in PQ from VHS to LD was astonishing. The jump in PQ from LD to SD DVD was also pretty significant. The jump in PQ from SD DVD, scaled on the 983, to BD is clearly noticeable, but to my eye does not approach the leap forward of the two previous transitions.

I'm hoping that we'll hear something from OPPO regarding their plans for a BD unit in the near future as I would love to have both Region A and B capability in whatever I buy. I order a lot of movies from Region 2,3,4, and even a few from 5 and I would really like to have that same flexibility for BD purchases.

-Toonces

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
Toonces T. Cat is offline  
post #3167 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
hodges69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

I would venture to guess that all owners of the 983 have an extensive SD collection...
We are all movie lovers to the core...I,as Toonces and many others have alluded too,do not want to sit around and wait for studios to put out catalog titles on BD.....which may or may not EVER happen....The studios seem to lean more to putting out newer titles than issuing those wonderful films of yesteryear...
How many of us here rushed out to get the BD movies "Drillbit Taylor?"
Before I got the 983,I was very selective as to what movies I wanted in HD..
Now,I have become extremely selective in my BD choices...Considering the cost of HD Movies.....and the content of same...and the masterful job the 983 does in upscaling...I feel the money spent on this unit will more than pay for itself by allowing me the pleasure of getting a tremendous amount of enjoyment(and WOW factor for my wife as well)everytime I insert a movie we both love,or a movie we have purchased in SD format,knowing the quality of same is very close to HD.
It is,IMO,without equal in it's abilities..

ANd BTW,I am the owner of both the Samsung 5000 and a former owner of the XA-2.
hodges69 is offline  
post #3168 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 AM
 
Electrico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek View Post

+1

I wish the audio capabilities of the 983 were more discussed here.

My Redbook CDs and SACDs have never sounded that good!

Have you listened to any DTS CD's on your 983? If so which titles? Have you done any comparisons of std. CD's VS their DTS versions?
I am looking forward to listen to them in about ten days when I get my 983.
Thanks
Electrico is offline  
post #3169 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
 
wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrico View Post

Have you listened to any DTS CD's on your 983? If so which titles? Have you done any comparisons of std. CD's VS their DTS versions?
I am looking forward to listen to them in about ten days when I get my 983.
Thanks

Electrico - from DTS CDs I only listened to Pink Floyd Quadraphonic rips: WYWH, DTSOM, and AHM.

I use the analog outs from the 983 into my amp and I thought they all sounded good.

The biggest improvement I hear is in Redbook CDs - they sound more detailed and the bass is tighter and more defined with 983.
wojtek is offline  
post #3170 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
RolandOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post

Earlier today I listened to Porcupine Tree's DVD-Audio reissue of their "Lightbulb Sun" album. Very, very impressive on the 983. My living room was alive!
- Esau

Good to see another PT fan here. I'm very much looking forward to listening to Lightbulb Sun on DVD-A. The 983 will be my first DVD-A player.
RolandOG is offline  
post #3171 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Member
 
airliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
set up: oppo983, bluejeans 1 hdmi 35ft, benq w5000.
After great results with my dvd pal colection I tryed two old ntsc zone1 dvd,
Shine and Top Gun, I found those really grainy, suggestion?
airliner is offline  
post #3172 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Older movies with not so steller tranfers can have substancial grain in the picture. Nothing much you can do about it except maybe an exteral NR unit like a Flea.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #3173 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,694
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by airliner View Post

set up: oppo983, bluejeans 1 hdmi 35ft, benq w5000.
After great results with my dvd pal colection I tryed two old ntsc zone1 dvd,
Shine and Top Gun, I found those really grainy, suggestion?

Are you doing PAL<->NTSC conversion? If so, make sure VIDEO 2 is set.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #3174 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Member
 
airliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll check my set up, just put the disc and played. TKS
airliner is offline  
post #3175 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Top Gun is going to be crazy grainy. I have the DTS DVD and the Blu-Ray movie and both are very grainy reproductions.
Neuromancer is online now  
post #3176 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Top Gun is going to be crazy grainy. I have the DTS DVD and the Blu-Ray movie and both are very grainy reproductions.

Ditto. Only my HD copy is HD DVD. Even the HD version is grainy. I thought that it was going to be a huge improvemnet by upgrading to HD, but most of that grain is still there.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #3177 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 5,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Ditto. Only my HD copy is HD DVD. Even the HD version is grainy. I thought that it was going to be a huge improvemnet by upgrading to HD, but most of that grain is still there.

Thats the original film source. Some directors want grain as an artistic effect, so its not always from noise. The HD version is simply duplicating the desired original effect of the film as is the case with many older films. Even today on HD TV shows there are scenes that may appear grainy, B&W, unfocused, tinted, over-saturated, bleached-looking, etc all for some director's artistic effect. Rarely does it look like pristine HD video like on say Discovery Channel nature programs.
Joxer is offline  
post #3178 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Ya, I understand all that, but since you bring it up ...
Why the heck would a movie like TG have intentional grain. I can understand something like the movie 300, but TG?? I just think it would be much better without it. I'm not even really sure it WAS intentional. Almost has to be though since there are plenty of other movies older than TG that don't have near as much grain. Oh well... .

Now back to your regular scheduled Sunday night movie .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #3179 of 5594 Old 07-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Toonces T. Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Deep South Texas
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Ya, I understand all that, but since you bring it up ...Why the heck would a movie like TG have intentional grain.

A great deal of the Top Gun footage is pretty much nothing more than high-end F-14 and F-5 gun-camera footage. I don't think they had any other way to shoot the dogfights at near supersonic speeds. I suspect that when you get the cut-in footage of the pilots and the EWOs they did it to maintain a consistent look to the sequence.

Having had the privelege of riding rear-seat in an F-4 Phantom, I can attest to the fact that they got the "Woot" factor just about right...

-Toonces

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
Toonces T. Cat is offline  
post #3180 of 5594 Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Blues In Thirds
 
javry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces T. Cat View Post

............

The jump in PQ from VHS to LD was astonishing. The jump in PQ from LD to SD DVD was also pretty significant. The jump in PQ from SD DVD, scaled on the 983, to BD is clearly noticeable, but to my eye does not approach the leap forward of the two previous transitions.

..............

-Toonces

and we may find that as things move along the differences may become increasingly more incremental than massive. At least until someone comes up with a technology that blows digital away. I'm sure it'll happen one day but probably not very soon.
javry is offline  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off