post #4141 of 5594 Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

The problem I have with BD is lack of content....To purchase mindless BD movies just because ...

Ya mean to say you are not rushing out to buy this new Blu release....
Quote:

Malice@Doll(2000) NR

Robot prostitute Malice@Doll roams a deserted city unsuccessfully looking for johns after the human race is obliterated in this adult anime tale. With no people left, the android serving class has a meaningless existence. But after a horrific tentacled beast rapes Malice@Doll, she inexplicably turns human. With a renewed purpose in life, she tries to share the gift of humanity with others of her kind.

Available Formats:
DVD and Blu-Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 5594 Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

Ya mean to say you are not rushing out to buy this new Blu release....

Oh yeah,and I will put this in my library of BDs...right next to Norbet(or however the hell you spell it)!
post #4143 of 5594 Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was playing an SACD last night and turned on the OSD to see the track numbers, but then couldn't turn it off. Is there a way? I know with other types of disks you press OSD a few times and it cycles to display off - but not with an SACD. Is there a way to turn it off? (Not counting the "audio only" button to turn all video off)
post #4144 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 03:00 AM

I have recently bought the DV-983H and when trying to connect it to my non-HR Sony Bravia 34" screen found I could not get colour connection via Scart to Component video or Scart to S-video. I receive only black and white images. The only success in colour has been with the single yellow video cable but picture quality is poor. The Sony is operating perfectly otherwise. I have followed the excellent Oppo manual but cant find any hint on what is wrong. Do I have a duff DV-938 or am I missing something obvious. Please help if you can. Steve
post #4145 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Have your Scart-to-Component and Scart-to-Svideo adapters worked properly with other players? Getting black and white suggests that you are losing one channel of the video signal, and my experience when dealing with component and s-video connections has been that this is usually due to a loose or damaged cable rather than a fault at either the player or TV.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4146 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleodsd View Post

I have recently bought the DV-983H and when trying to connect it to my non-HR Sony Bravia 34" screen found I could not get colour connection via Scart to Component video or Scart to S-video. I receive only black and white images. The only success in colour has been with the single yellow video cable but picture quality is poor. The Sony is operating perfectly otherwise. I have followed the excellent Oppo manual but cant find any hint on what is wrong. Do I have a duff DV-938 or am I missing something obvious. Please help if you can. Steve

Hi

For best result using analog:
Use the latest Beta Firmware, to be found on Oppo's Support page.
1. Disconnect the HDMI cable.
2. Press Setup, then under Video Setup page:
Set Primary Output to Component (default is HDMI)
3. Set Video output to Video1 (this is the one most miss, analog uses the MTK chip which is Video1).

4. TV type, try with NTSC, PAL or Auto.

5. If it's a 4:3 TV, change the display to one of the 4:3 options.

You should be good to go.

Cheers

It's not magic. It's science.
post #4147 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Vagabond's notes bring up a possible culprit. As you are following the steps he lists, make sure that the TV type is set properly. If you are using a Scart connection, I'm going to guess that you likely have a PAL display, and in that case you would want to set it to PAL rather than the default of NTSC.

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #4148 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 AM

I am not with the machine at the moment so can't sit down to have a go at implementing the suggestions you made. I do not have the latest Firmware upgrade but will get it. The cables are new and not used in any other machine - they are pretty good quality and are obviously well made. Yes, I am in a PAL region and did set the 983H to PAL and to Component output (as opposed to the default HDMI). Steve
post #4149 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Yes, I am in a PAL region and did set the 983H to PAL and to Component output (as opposed to the default HDMI). Steve

If you are playing any NTSC discs you will want to set VIDEO 1 when using component.

Note that component performance on this player is about the same as the 980. You are not getting your money's worth in video quality unless you are using HDMI or DVI.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #4150 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The cables are new and not used in any other machine - they are pretty good quality and are obviously well made.

Can you hook up a different player of some sort using the same cables to see if the problem follows the cables? All it would take was a missing or crossed conductor buried inside the cables' connectors and you would get the effect you are seeing - ruling that out could be helpful.

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #4151 of 5594 Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:

I am not with the machine at the moment so can't sit down to have a go at implementing the suggestions you made. I do not have the latest Firmware upgrade but will get it. The cables are new and not used in any other machine - they are pretty good quality and are obviously well made. Yes, I am in a PAL region and did set the 983H to PAL and to Component output (as opposed to the default HDMI). Steve

I'm pretty sure setting it to Video1 will set you right, then. You can try it without changing firmware, if you don't want to do it (it will default to NTSC instead of PAL if you do).

Although, the Beta firmware is especially good if you're in PAL land, as it contains enhancements for playing PAL DVD's.

Let us know how you're getting along.

cheers

post #4152 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 180
You should not use video 1 mode, that's when not using VRS scaling of the Oppo.

Opened my 983, it has a 1010 & XILINX chip not a VRS 2010 chip- is mine a inferior chipset?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4153 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

We had the same thing in NZ but the latest firmware completely fixed the dropout.

wich firmware ?? the beta version ?? what was the release date for the firmware your using ?
post #4154 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I capture a screenshot from a PAL DVD to make it the default screen in my 983 I have noticed that my 983 begins to make strange things after a while. The most noticeable effects are not smooth fast forward or rewind (it´s something like "very fragmented playback") and the normal playback is VERY corrupted showing shifted colours around objects (this effect seems like a VERY dramatic Y/C delay). This problems didn´t dissapear until I reinstalled the firmware AND unplugged the player from AC for a few minutes. If I only reinstalled the firmware the problem it´s still there. I´m using the latest beta firmware and the latest 2010 chipset. I use Auto video system and colour space output (I´m in PAL zone) but I tried several settings to avoid the problem without luck. At the end if I don´t use the screen capture I have no problems and the player´s performance it´s fine.
I haven´t tried to capture a NTSC screenshot form a NTSC DVD but I´ll try in the next days to see what happen.
post #4155 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Beta has bug with HDMI hand shake- blank screen on Pioneer 5090, so I'd wait until they fix that problem.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4156 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

...unless you are using analog outputs and doing NTSC<->PAL conversion, in which case you must use VIDEO 1.

Quote:

Opened my 983, it has a 1010 & XILINX chip not a VRS 2010 chip- is mine a inferior chipset?

No.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #4157 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Video1 -> MTK chip for Analog
Video2 -> ABT chip for HDMI

Cheers

post #4158 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Sometimes the truth hurts! PS3 folks will have to get over it.

Well, I own two 983s and three PS3s plus a Pioneer 95FD standalone Blu-ray player so I have some experience with all of them (not to mention a number of other Oppo players). On my 100" front projector screen (via a JVC DLA-HD1 projector) upscaled DVDs (even when played on a 983) don't look nearly as good as the BDs. The fancy upscaling/deinterlacing logic in the DVD players simply can't reliably put the pixels in the right place when projected onto a large screen at 1080p.

Don't get me wrong, I am really impressed with the Oppo DV-983H and its ability to upscale DVDs (I own about 1000 DVDs so I do care about this), especially on smaller screens (looks really good on my 46" LCD TV from about 10 feet back). I just think that unless you've compared the upscaled DVD image to the BD image on a large 1080p screen, you are really not "seeing" it at its best (BD that is).
post #4159 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Well, I own two 983s and three PS3s plus a Pioneer 95FD standalone Blu-ray player so I have some experience with all of them (not to mention a number of other Oppo players). On my 100" front projector screen (via a JVC DLA-HD1 projector) upscaled DVDs (even when played on a 983) don't look nearly as good as the BDs. The fancy upscaling/deinterlacing logic in the DVD players simply can't reliably put the pixels in the right place when projected onto a large screen at 1080p.

Don't get me wrong, I am really impressed with the Oppo DV-983H and its ability to upscale DVDs (I own about 1000 DVDs so I do care about this), especially on smaller screens (looks really good on my 46" LCD TV from about 10 feet back). I just think that unless you've compared the upscaled DVD image to the BD image on a large 1080p screen, you are really not "seeing" it at its best (BD that is).

That wasnt my point... I agree with you by the way.. My reference was to SD.

The OP said:
Want to get barbecued? Just tell the fanboys that the 983 is superior to the PS3 in upconverting.
post #4160 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

That wasnt my point... I agree with you by the way.. My reference was to SD.

The OP said:
Want to get barbecued? Just tell the fanboys that the 983 is superior to the PS3 in upconverting.

I really don't know whether your original post was sarcasm or not, but the generalized nature of it is what's objectionable.

I am a "PS3 Fanboy" and an "Xbox 360 Fanboy" and I am absolutely certain that the 983 upscaling is clearly superior to both gaming consoles at either 1080p or 720p.

Now it would be okay to generalize that only an idiot...as opposed to a Fanboy...would insist that the 983 does not have superior scaling...

-Toonces

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
post #4161 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The world is full of idiots. I've been saying that for years.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4162 of 5594 Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

Beta has bug with HDMI hand shake- blank screen on Pioneer 5090, so I'd wait until they fix that problem.

Make sure you are pressing Eject to turn the player on, and not pressing the power button.

If you have the older two chip solution, the Power button will result in a blank HDMI screen. Eject (remote or front panel) when the player is off will result in a HDMI signal.
post #4163 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
SA1

Hi, have my 983 hoocked up with hdmi to my integra 7.8 receiver and then, to my epson projector, is there a way to have my 983 send a signal to the receiver WITHOUT having to put ON my projector, the display on the 7.8 shows "NO SIGNAL"

Thanks

Sacha
post #4164 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^I'm not sure about the Integra, but my Onkyo has a function called HDMI OUT. If you turn HDMI OUT to OFF, then that disables the video from the display, and allows you to listen to music/audio without having the display turned on.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4165 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Also make sure you have your Integra 7.8 upgraded with the latest firmware. I had issues with my Integra DTC-9.8 not synchronizing any HDMI audio signal unless I had first turned on my projector or disconnected the Monitor Out HDMI cable.
post #4166 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Also make sure you have your Integra 7.8 upgraded with the latest firmware. I had issues with my Integra DTC-9.8 not synchronizing any HDMI audio signal unless I had first turned on my projector or disconnected the Monitor Out HDMI cable.

That must have been a real PITA. I took delivery of my 9.8 01 June. Came with FW 1.07 so never experienced the problem.

What do you think about the Reon color decoder error issue? I think it is overblown.

Joe
post #4167 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It is overblown, but I also bypass the Integra DTC-9.8 as much as possible, just to be on the safe side.
post #4168 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Vagabond

I am now in front of my 983H and i have followed your suggestions and have now set the setting to Video 1, Auto in PAL/NTSC/Auto etc but there is no change at all. Remains black and white. I can get a colour picture by taking the video input jack on the front of the TV/monitor (it is a SonyKLVL32M1) which is AV5 and normally reserved for video camera inputs being an RCA style plug. Still confused and frustrated!

Stephen McLeod
post #4169 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Vagabond

I am now in front of my 983H and i have followed your suggestions and have now set the setting to Video 1, Auto in PAL/NTSC/Auto etc but there is no change at all. Remains black and white. I can get a colour picture by taking the video input jack on the front of the TV/monitor (it is a SonyKLVL32M1) which is AV5 and normally reserved for video camera inputs being an RCA style plug. Still confused and frustrated!

Stephen McLeod

Just to summarize, please confirm that:
  • You are playing a PAL disc.
  • Your display accepts a PAL signal.
  • You are using three component cables, and the color of each cable matches the sockets on both the player and the display.

The VIDEO 1 setting should matter only if you are converting between PAL and NTSC.

Do you get the same behavior no matter what the output resolution?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #4170 of 5594 Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am now in front of my 983H and i have followed your suggestions and have now set the setting to Video 1, Auto in PAL/NTSC/Auto etc but there is no change at all. Remains black and white.

Have you been able to test the SCART cables with a different source to verify that there is no issue with the cables? Also, have you tried setting the player for PAL instead of Auto (although when playing a PAL disc this should not matter, as Bill's post points out)?

gonk
Beta tester:
/
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page