Official OPPO DV-983H w/ ABT VRS FAQ/Dump - Page 169 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 185
The DV-983H is no longer in production. If you call OPPO, they may or may not have some stock of new or refurbished players on hand to sell you.
The new Blu-ray Universal player will actually be a bit better with sd-dvds than the DV-983H was, and it will only cost $100-$200 more.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhr View Post

I just ordered a Pioneer PRO-151FD and decided I would upgrade my upscaling dvd player and when I went to the oppo site to look at the 983H it said that it would be replaced by the BDP-983h, does that mean they won't sell the upscaling dv-0983H when they introduce their new BluRay player? or at least that's what it said on their website.

I believe that is correct. As best as I can tell, they made one last production run of the DV-983H last year and once it was sold out they weren't going to make more. The BDP-83 uses the same video processor, so its performance with standard DVD will be just as good (possibly a bit better), and it will cost $100 or maybe $200 more than the DV-983H while offering Blu-ray and a better analog section.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
the 983 has been discontinued......replaced by the BD-83...which has the same
great Anchor bay upscaling chip....keep checking OPPO's website..you might get lucky and see a re-furb for sale....
In any case...the 983 has the best upscaling of ANY DVD player in the market...period..
Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like I am the winner. Thanks Gonk and Hodges69. I'm sure you feel honored just for being nominated, but we can't all win.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just ordered a Pioneer PRO-151FD and decided I would upgrade my upscaling dvd player and when I went to the oppo site to look at the 983H it said that it would be replaced by the BDP-983h, does that mean they won't sell the upscaling dv-0983H when they introduce their new BluRay player? or at least that's what it said on their website.

The 983H hasn't been available for MONTHS now. The new BluRay though does everything the 983H did (except region free playback) and adds BluRay capability for $100 more. Totally worth it.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Looks like I am the winner. Thanks Gonk and Hodges69. I'm sure you feel honored just for being nominated, but we can't all win.

I'm just honored to be nominated along the likes of you, SP...

gonk
Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I'm not worthy......I'm not worthy!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

I'm not worthy......I'm not worthy!!!

You're worthy lol

John
Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

You're worthy lol

John

Thanks.John...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM

Just ordered The Apu Trilogy from Amazon UK. Good exchange rate. One could grow old waiting for it to be released in Region 1. With the 983 I can watch it in a week or two.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Units have been popping up on eBay quite regularly the last month or so, I guess since people are starting to get the new blu-ray player. There were three available last week but were gone by yesterday. It's where I got mine, was only 7 months old and in perfect condition. I lucked out since the seller had a buy now tag on it so I grabbed it for $425.00 All the others have been being bid on and seem to be going for around the same price or higher. I was out bid on two units that went for $415.00 and $406.00 (lost that one by ONE DOLLAR!) If you are really interested in buying one I would check it out. Most sellers post all the pertinent information you need to now about the units and all the ones I looked over so far have the factory packing and other items, such as remote, batteries and HDMI cord included. Since getting and using the 983, I would vote heartily thumbs up if you have an extensive dvd collection. this is a great unit. as a matter of fact their are two units available right now on eBay one with a buy now tag. here is the link to that unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oppo-Digital-DV-...3A1%7C294%3A50
ed

Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post

Just ordered The Apu Trilogy from Amazon UK. Good exchange rate. One could grow old waiting for it to be released in Region 1. With the 983 I can watch it in a week or two.

That's why the new BDP83 ultimately sucks... It can't do that. At least so far.

And you people in the US must feel lucky. Not only you have a pretty good offer of DVDs, you can import them cheaply from Europe. Here in Brazil the offer is laughable and to import I pay like 50-80% of taxes over the DVD AND the shipping if you can believe so... I say that not out of envy (a little bit, I must admit) but so you can feel even better about your deal. Enjoy Apu.

Also, If one wants to buy the 983 I recommend calling OPPO by phone one or two times a week and ask for refurbs. I got mine after two tries for 319. They may also inform you when they have some new units. They had when I bought mine earlier this month. Another option is to check http://www.opposhop.com/. This is the European Oppo store. I don't know how it is to import to the US, but may be more worthy than buying used. And they seem to have 983 in stock all the time (thus they may keep putting some units for sale in the US as they may be still producing it).
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post

That's why the new BDP83 ultimately sucks... It can't do that. At least so far.

And you people in the US must feel lucky. Not only you have a pretty good offer of DVDs, you can import them cheaply from Europe. Here in Brazil the offer is laughable and to import I pay like 50-80% of taxes over the DVD AND the shipping if you can believe so... I say that not out of envy (a little bit, I must admit) but so you can feel even better about your deal. Enjoy Apu.

I haven't been following the BDP83 thread. Is there an official/unofficial line from Oppo as to why they won't allow the player to be region-free for DVDs? I can understand it being region-locked for Blu-ray.

For better or for worse, the US does go easy on consumption taxes and many import tariffs. Since I'm not charged UK's high VAT, The Apu Trilogy is actually cheaper shipped to me in the US than it is for someone in the UK who lives down the street from the Amazon shipping warehouse.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
This is from my first post on the BDP-83 thread:

The BDP-83 will support DVD Region 1 and Blu-ray Region A only. The Blu-ray Disc Association does not allow OPPO to support any region unlocking capabilities, even for DVD-Video playback.

As Blu-ray is a relatively new platform, OPPO wants to make sure they can sell Blu-ray players for many more years to come. They do not want to implement or excise any content control which could jeopardize their standing with the Blu-ray Disc Association.

These restrictions are non-negotiable. Do not discuss them in the forums.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Wow... It's even better than I thought...

Concerning Region Free, for OPPO to be able to produce a BluRay player they had to agree to lock Region Code for DVDs as well. They say they condoned Region Free on their other DVD players (it was not officially sanctioned by them), but now they can not do so due to the BR agreement.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Sorry I brought it up!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Well, that last part is more of a warning for the BDP-83 thread, because Region talking always led to major off topic bickering and several topic closures.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wouldn't worry much about DVD region locking for the time being.
As someone said in the past:

"a couple of months after chastity belt invention by the moralist, the smart guy created the can opener" J/K

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If that's true, which of the current players are region free?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're talking about Oppo, all models, except the new BDP-83.

Regards, Chuck

Regards, Chuck
Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

If you're talking about Oppo, all models, except the new BDP-83.

Regards, Chuck

No, was talking about all the BD Players out there that have been made region free. I don't see any can openers around yet.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Moxie,

and I was talking about DVD's. For BD's, it'll take a while longer, for sure.
What I know is there's a hack from UK that unlocks the Panny BD-30 (among others), making them region-free, but that applies for DVD's only.

Can openers are there, just waiting to be used someday, somewhere, by someone

Regards, Chuck
Old 04-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

No, was talking about all the BD Players out there that have been made region free. I don't see any can openers around yet.

Oh, there are some can openers. They're just not sold by the companies selling the cans. A bit pricey, but I understand they do good work, and if you need the feature ...

Interestingly, this list contained the BDP-83 for a couple of days (DVD region-free only, not Blu-ray), but that player is not listed again. Maybe the fix wasn't quite ready.

Dave Barnhart
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. Lots of can openers there.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 AM

See also review at dvdbeaver. They've just posted a review of the Momitsu...

cheers

It's not magic. It's science.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just dont get it I guess..... (all the complication of Regions etc.)

Why dont the movie companies just release movies in all markets at the same time and not have all this region nonsense?

Obviously they must make money out of having Regions or they wouldnt go to all this trouble and complexity, but I just dont see where?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Different companies own the rights to different movies. For example, if a movie is under rights with FOX in the USA, that same movie may be under the rights of Miramax in Europe. If there were no region coding, the financial gain from both companies would be truncated by each other.
It's mostly about the money, especially with movie studis and music labels.
There is also the difference between PAL and NTSC as well. There were not always players like OPPO makes that could do PAL as well as they do.
A lot of slack has been let out of the line with Blu-ray though. More movies from overseas will play on regionA plyers since the PAL/NTSC encoding is moot with Blu-ray.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The short answer (so we don't get too far off topic) is that the distribution rights can be held by different companies in different markets. This means that while "Random Example Movie Title" may be distributed on DVD and Blu-ray in the US and Canada by MegaCorporation Studios, it may be distributed on those formats in Europe, Asia, and Australia by as many as three other companies. In each case, the licensed company doesn't want sales in their region getting stolen when customers import the title from another country (and another distributor). Even if all four companies release the titles at the same time (which may not be possible, since the studio that produced the movie may want to get first crack at it in their home region before letting anybody else sell it elsewhere), there's a risk of this - especially if one region gets some different bonus features or other content. Thus, we get region coding...

gonk
Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Has anyone successfully resolved the issue of Oppo DV-983h not passing upscaled 1080p video via HDMI through a Yamaha RX-Z11 (Z11 set to pass through HDMI)? I'm still trying to track down a solution, but no response from Oppo anymore on this issue. Last night I observed the message "REEN SA" (could have been "REEN 5A") displayed on the front panel of the 983. No idea what it means. I even tried other combinations of 983 & Z11 settings but seems like there is no way to pass 1080p video thru the Z11 from the 983. The only one that does work, sort of, is to set the 983 to output 480p and let the Z11 upscale the video to 1080p. The problem with using the 480p setting on 983 is that the digital audio is then restricted. Oppo support e-mailed me the ludicrous solution for me to bypass the receiver altogether and connect the 983 HDMI directly to the projector, but then I can forget audio altogether.

I had been planning to get the Oppo BDP-83 when available, but now I'm not so sure. I am disappointed with lack of Oppo response to this problem. I suppose that is because they discontinued the 983. My fear is this issue will carry over to the BDP-83 if it has not been resolved.

I know this is and older issue, but I only recently (within past month) installed a 1080p projector, so it just surfaced for me. I had been really happy with the 983 prior to this when I only used 720p, but now I'm concerned that when/if I still get the BDP-83, I will still have this problem. Any thoughts?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

This is from my first post on the BDP-83 thread:

The BDP-83 will support DVD Region 1 and Blu-ray Region A only. The Blu-ray Disc Association does not allow OPPO to support any region unlocking capabilities, even for DVD-Video playback.

As Blu-ray is a relatively new platform, OPPO wants to make sure they can sell Blu-ray players for many more years to come. They do not want to implement or excise any content control which could jeopardize their standing with the Blu-ray Disc Association.

This is a 983 forum. Region-free IS discussed here.

And until BDP-83 can be chipped to be region-free (and it probably will be), it cannot be called a 983 replacement, at least not for the folks who bought 983 for its region-free capabilities, like myself.