Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 5594 Old 05-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmahid View Post

Same here! Why pay $500.00+ for the 83 when my cheapo Samsung BD plays Blu-ray as vividly as any other BD player and while my Oppo 983 upconverts SD as good as it gets? Best of both worlds, without the added costs.

Well, to some extent you are right -- there certainly are a lot less reasons to buy the 83 if you already have a 983. Even OPPO has to know that they are not going to get all (or maybe even most of) the "replacement" crowd, since the 83 cannot fill in for the 983 if you use the region-free capabilities (and I do).

So then you need to decide if the capabilities the OPPO BDP-83 has apart from the 983 capabilities are worth the premium. For some of us (and you can call us kool-aid drinkers if you like), we have determined that the combination of features is worth it. For me, just the speed of the player, the things it is compatible with, and the ability to do easy firmware upgrades are worth it. Frankly, I've had to deal with Sony and Denon support (or I should say, the relative lack thereof), and I have come to appreciate the difference between that and what OPPO offers in that department. If you ever have issues, you may find that that alone is worth the difference. My time is precious enough that it sure is for me. I don't have to spend hours on the phone to get an answer from support since they will actually give real answers through email, and in a timely fashion.

Obviously, you have decided that a cheaper BD player fits the bill in your case. I certainly don't see any problem with that -- just don't assume that the cost difference between your Samsung BD player and a BDP-83 is only paying for hype, even if you personally don't need what it pays for.

Dave Barnhart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5594 Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post

Well, to some extent you are right -- there certainly are a lot less reasons to buy the 83 if you already have a 983. Even OPPO has to know that they are not going to get all (or maybe even most of) the "replacement" crowd, since the 83 cannot fill in for the 983 if you use the region-free capabilities (and I do).

So then you need to decide if the capabilities the OPPO BDP-83 has apart from the 983 capabilities are worth the premium. For some of us (and you can call us kool-aid drinkers if you like), we have determined that the combination of features is worth it. For me, just the speed of the player, the things it is compatible with, and the ability to do easy firmware upgrades are worth it. Frankly, I've had to deal with Sony and Denon support (or I should say, the relative lack thereof), and I have come to appreciate the difference between that and what OPPO offers in that department. If you ever have issues, you may find that that alone is worth the difference. My time is precious enough that it sure is for me. I don't have to spend hours on the phone to get an answer from support since they will actually give real answers through email, and in a timely fashion.

Obviously, you have decided that a cheaper BD player fits the bill in your case. I certainly don't see any problem with that -- just don't assume that the cost difference between your Samsung BD player and a BDP-83 is only paying for hype, even if you personally don't need what it pays for.

You make some good points, especially about Oppo's great customer service, it's second to none. Yes, I suppose if I didn't have a 983H and wanted to add BD, I'd be a good candidate for the 83, though I also have a number of DVDs that need a multi-regional player. I purchased many of the them from eBay and Amazon Marketplace, most titles not even available in the US or Region 1, only because of the 983's capabilities.

Another issue brought up by a few folks is how much in premium dollars do people want to invest in BD movies, especially when they'd duplicate titles many of us have and love to watch with the 983's amazing up-converting capabilities? Even Netflix and Blockbuster (ugh!) charge extra for BD rentals, IF the movies are even available in that format. That, in a nutshell, is the "X Factor" in this whole Blu-ray business.

My "el cheapo" Samsung BD player (now they're less than $135) has been used maybe a dozen or so times the past 4 months for the occasional "blockbuster" movie with special effects that my kids love, and it does the job perfectly on my Panny 50" TH-50PX75 plasma. None of the bells & whistles of the 83, but for just watching Blu-ray movies (and not all of the BDs I rent look that much better than their upconverted SD equivalents) it's a good afterthought, with the 983 still getting 99% of the workout :-)
post #5223 of 5594 Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmahid View Post

You make some good points, especially about Oppo's great customer service, it's second to none. Yes, I suppose if I didn't have a 983H and wanted to add BD, I'd be a good candidate for the 83, though I also have a number of DVDs that need a multi-regional player. I purchased many of the them from eBay and Amazon Marketplace, most titles not even available in the US or Region 1, only because of the 983's capabilities.

Another issue brought up by a few folks is how much in premium dollars do people want to invest in BD movies, especially when they'd duplicate titles many of us have and love to watch with the 983's amazing up-converting capabilities? Even Netflix and Blockbuster (ugh!) charge extra for BD rentals, IF the movies are even available in that format. That, in a nutshell, is the "X Factor" in this whole Blu-ray business.

My "el cheapo" Samsung BD player (now they're less than $135) has been used maybe a dozen or so times the past 4 months for the occasional "blockbuster" movie with special effects that my kids love, and it does the job perfectly on my Panny 50" TH-50PX75 plasma. None of the bells & whistles of the 83, but for just watching Blu-ray movies (and not all of the BDs I rent look that much better than their upconverted SD equivalents) it's a good afterthought, with the 983 still getting 99% of the workout :-)

I'm with ya. I ended up in a heated debate on a DVD review site on this subject, when recently released statistics show the general public isn't moving "in-mass" to BD. I, like your assessment, think it is a lot to do with pricing. I sit 10 feet back on a 50" Kuro, and with the 983 and a well shot and authored DVD, I feel I am getting a fantastic picture, and can't justify the additional expense of BD ....... your "x factor". I think Sony is blowing it with pricing. Today, Wal Mart was doing us a favor with a bunch of older BD titles in the $15 to $20 discount range. Virtually all of these movies have been re-released in re-mastered SD versions and are now in the $5 to $7.50 range,......... again, your "x factor". Add in some non consumer friendly "non picture" issues like load times and no pause and easily resume, and it only adds to the "x factor". I am not bashing BD, quite the opposite, mostly bashing Sony I guess. I had hoped we would have "one" Hi Def standard replace SD DVD, but after the BD/HD wars, and BD being the "not ready for prime time" candidate out the shoot, plus the pricing, I think that it is going to be relagated to a niche product. That is a shame. I was seriously thinking about buying the 83, and moving the 983 to the bedroom, but I will probably wait and "possibly" one day pick up an inexpensive BD player, like you guys are doing. I have my Denon 2910 in the bedroom system, so don't really need to move the 983

John
post #5224 of 5594 Old 05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I totally agree with the last 2 posts..
I had an XA-2 that died...was replaced (under warranty) with with a Samsung
5000 dual format HD-DVD and BD player since the xa-2 could not be replaced...
I have watched this player perhaps 4 times over the last 11 months or so...The harry Potter series in HD-DVD version,,,while the 983 is getting the lion's share of the playing..for the reasons stated in John and rajmahid's posts..

Have watched a total of one BD movie altho I own about 25 or so....and 50 HD DVD movies...while I have a rather extensive film library of SD's...I just cannot justify the expense for BD extras..which I seldom,if ever watch..and,putting on my fireproof suit,I cannot see that much of a differeence between BD and the 983 to justify the price..
post #5225 of 5594 Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Borrowing hodges69 phrase: "I agree with the last three posts", his included! I have the 983 and two Panasonic BD30's. I have the best of both worlds!
post #5226 of 5594 Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You're just one step ahead of me, Electrico...

... not because you have the best of both worlds, but because you have TWO BD-30's, though

Regards, Chuck

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #5227 of 5594 Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG46 View Post

FYI.

I asked OPPO for an update on the 983/Yamaha RX-V3900 HDCP handshake problem and thought I would pass on their reply.
- "There has been no advancement with this issue. It has been reported to our engineers, and our engineers are working with ABT to resolve this issue, but we do not have any firmware which has been designed to resolve this incompatibility error. This issue is still an investigation in progress."

... Insert opinion of DVD hardware and video encryption standards here ...

KG

Hi

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm in Brisbane Australia and just got a Yamaha RX-V3900 last week, and have very frustratingly this past week wasted a lot of time it now seems, trying to get a picture using my Oppo DV-983H. Tried every set-up input/output and combination for both units, different HDMI cords etc...lol

I was about to call the Yamaha dealer before a final desparate Google search using RX-V3900 DV-983H "no picture" lead me here.

It would be nice to have on screen volume adjustments etc with input to the amp rather than Oppo direct to my panel.

Anyone else with a similar issue please post when and if solution/firmware update is available to fix this issue. Until then I will continue to watch this thread for any updates.

Cheers.
post #5228 of 5594 Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Glad the info. helped.

I considered using my binoculars to read the volume level directly from the V3900 panel but received a strange reaction from my wife. Now I am back to where I started just adjusting the volume until it sounds right. LOL
post #5229 of 5594 Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG46 View Post

Glad the info. helped.

I considered using my binoculars to read the volume level directly from the V3900 panel but received a strange reaction from my wife. Now I am back to where I started just adjusting the volume until it sounds right. LOL

I like the binocular solution better, trusting your eyes rather than your ears.

Seriously, though, like the 83 fanboys keep saying, Oppo will get right back to working on new firmware for the 983 just as soon as their $500 BD player is finally released. Got that...?
post #5230 of 5594 Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobve3rens View Post

I like the binocular solution better, trusting your eyes rather than your ears.

Seriously, though, like the 83 fanboys keep saying, Oppo will get right back to working on new firmware for the 983 just as soon as their $500 BD player is finally released. Got that...?

Well, I'm not buying it. I've been waiting for them to resolve the 983 vs. Z11 problem for about a year now. I currently have an 83 paired with my Z11 and it works so that problem has been overtaken by events. Unfortunately (for me) though, one of my 983s (I have two) is now connected to my Z7, and though it has somewhat different symptoms from the Z11, it doesn't work properly with the 983 either. My other 983 is connected to a V3800 and that seems ok. As I see it, Oppo is a small company with fairly limited resources so I can understand why there's not alot of incentive for them to fix this in a product that they no longer sell. However for those of us stuck with a non-working player, it is quite the pain.
post #5231 of 5594 Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Again, who is to blame for the issue? Have you been pushing Yamaha to resolve the problem? Have they produced any changes to their firmware to address the issue? What is their statement on the matter?
post #5232 of 5594 Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Exactly. It's never been duplicated by Oppo and only happens with a couple Yamaha AVRs. The BDP-83 has completely different ABT and HDMI architecture, so no comparison should be drawn. In any case, there's nothing Oppo can do about it unless ABT comes up with a solution.
post #5233 of 5594 Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Again, who is to blame for the issue? Have you been pushing Yamaha to resolve the problem? Have they produced any changes to their firmware to address the issue? What is their statement on the matter?

I did push on Yamaha about it but got nowhere with them. They pretty much just said that they had no Oppo players to test with. They did suggest that I install the new firmware for the Z11 as it claimed to fix some HDMI compatibility problems (this was last summer), which I did to no avail. Last time I emailed Yamaha support with a fairly simple question about discrete codes for HDMI output switching on the Z11 it took them two weeks to reply with an email saying that due to budget cuts they were way behind on responding to email and please be patient. That was a couple of weeks ago now and still no actual response.

I've pretty much given up on expecting to see a fix the compatibility issues between the 983 and some of the Yamaha AVRs. I have no idea "who" is at fault...really doesn't matter I guess since none of them have the resources or incentive to address the issue. I'm certainly not trying to place blame on anyone. Just too bad they won't play nicely together.
post #5234 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 AM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't be quite so sceptical. Each time OPPO has released a new player, they have looked at porting FW improvements in the new player into the older ones (if the old hardware supports it, of course).

Gary
post #5235 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

Don't be quite so sceptical. Each time OPPO has released a new player, they have looked at porting FW improvements in the new player into the older ones (if the old hardware supports it, of course).

Gary

Gary, as an Oppo fan from the early days (I still have a 970 and 980 in addition to the 983) I dearly wish that would be so. But given their quick dump of the 983 after about a year to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon (prematurely, IMO), I strongly doubt any FW improvements for the 83 will work on the former unit. I know their resources are relatively limited, but is that really an excuse for countless people who shelled out $400 for the 983 to be ignored while they take months to beta test their $500 blu-ray?

Oppo appear to have abandoned their value-driven philosophy of "great bang for the buck" and outstanding support that earned them a loyal following with fabulous upscaling models for a costly "everything in a box" unit with a format that inherently restricts playing multi-region DVDs (so why even bother with PAL then?) and costs almost three times more than their original players.

Hence my cynicism.
post #5236 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

but is that really an excuse for countless people who shelled out $400 for the 983 to be ignored while they take months to beta test their $500 blu-ray?

Countless people? I count one or two in your situation. Maybe 3. Or is there some other firmware issue I've missed? I'd also take exception with the use of the term "ignored".
post #5237 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Countless people? I count one or two in your situation. Maybe 3. Or is there some other firmware issue I've missed? I'd also take exception with the use of the term "ignored".

I don't have "situation" with my 983, so I don't get your meaning.

Except for a relatively small issue I called them about seven months ago regarding the 983's screen saver mode that goes to black instead of the bouncing logo of previous models -- sometimes resulting in having to turn the unit off & on again to regain HDMI handshake -- their response was that they were aware of the problem, and it would be addressed in the "next" firmware release. Still waiting, btw. Other than that, my unit works splendidly in tandem with a Marantz SR8002 (lucky me). But a fair number of Yamaha & Denon owners aren't as fortunate -- unless they had the "earlier" ...or was it "later"...version of the 983 chipsets that may not have been compatible with the same FW. Messy and not what we've come to expect from Oppo.

I've seen more than "1 or 2 or maybe 3" posters having more serious issues with their 983s (read the posts) and nothing in the way of newer FW has been released to address their issues. And we're talking months here...not quick fixes. Now multiply that by an X-factor of 983 owners who don't post on or read AVSForum (they *DO* exist, difficult as it is to believe) who may have the same issues and I perceive a problem with Oppo's current direction.

I believe I articulated my position clearly enough in the earlier post...but I suppose if I had $500+ invested in a beta unit (or worked for a niche company that's betting the farm on blu-ray), I too would get defensive and "take issue" with anything less than glowing praise for the 83 concept.
post #5238 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't have "situation" with my 983, so I don't get your meaning.

Except for a relatively small issue I called them about seven months ago regarding the 983's screen saver mode that goes to black instead of the bouncing logo of previous models -- sometimes resulting in having to turn the unit off & on again to regain HDMI handshake -- their response was that they were aware of the problem, and it would be addressed in the "next" firmware release.

And that's your definition of "ignoring"?
Quote:

But a fair number of Yamaha & Denon owners aren't as fortunate -- unless they had the "earlier" ...or was it "later"...version of the 983 chipsets that may not have been compatible with the same FW. Messy and not what we've come to expect from Oppo.

Huh? So "countless" has become "a fair number".

Quote:

I've seen more than "1 or 2 or maybe 3" posters having more serious issues with their 983s (read the posts) and nothing in the way of newer FW has been released to address their issues.

"Serious issues", like what?
Quote:

I believe I articulated my position clearly enough in the earlier post...but I suppose if I had $500+ invested in a beta unit (or worked for a niche company that's betting the farm on blu-ray), I too would get defensive and "take issue" with anything less than glowing praise for the 83 concept.

Thus far the only thing I can discern from your posts is sour grapes, I see no issues or any position being articulated at all other than "Oppo sucks". And FYI, this thread is about the 983, not the BDP-83.
post #5239 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:

And that's your definition of "ignoring"?

Huh? So "countless" has become "a fair number".

"Serious issues", like what?

Thus far the only thing I can discern from your posts is sour grapes, I see no issues or any position being articulated at all other than "Oppo sucks". And FYI, this thread is about the 983, not the BDP-83.

Sigh...

There's no discourse with zealots...that's pretty apparent. Whenever there's a post that takes Oppo to task for abandoning 983 issues with a lack of FW support because it's diverted its resources on a $500 blu-ray beta, it must be..."sour grapes." Instead of legitimate criticism to be addressed with civility, I read "shoot the messenger" ad homs.

Yes, this IS a 983 thread and everything I've posted relates to the 983. It seems the 83 fanboys (oops, I mean beta buyers, sorry that was ad hom) come out of the woodwork (as I've expressed before) whenever the issue of updated 983 FW is mentioned, and speculation about the reasons why it hasn't been addressed are dismissed as "Oppo sucks." Now that's real forum discourse. Thanks for the courtesy...
post #5240 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Sigh...

There's no discourse with zealots...that's pretty apparent. Whenever there's a post that takes Oppo to task for abandoning 983 issues with a lack of FW support because it's diverted its resources on a $500 blu-ray beta, it must be..."sour grapes." Instead of legitimate criticism to be addressed with civility, I read "shoot the messenger" ad homs.

Yes, this IS a 983 thread and everything I've posted relates to the 983. It seems the 83 fanboys (oops, I mean beta buyers, sorry that was ad hom) come out of the woodwork (as I've expressed before) whenever the issue of updated 983 FW is mentioned, and speculation about the reasons why it hasn't been addressed are dismissed as "Oppo sucks." Now that's real forum discourse. Thanks for the courtesy...

I think there is a case to be made about Oppo abandoning the issues with the 983H. The player was released in March 2008 and the last firmware was June, 2008. That's three months. From release to last firmware update the 970 was 10 months, the 980 was 12 months, and the 981 21 months. The numbers don't lie. Oppo dropped the ball on the 983H, their most expensive DVD player offered with the shortest player and support lifecycle.
post #5241 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

I think there is a case to be made about Oppo abandoning the issues with the 983H. The player was released in March 2008 and the last firmware was June, 2008. That's three months. From release to last firmware update the 970 was 10 months, the 980 was 12 months, and the 981 21 months. The numbers don't lie. Oppo dropped the ball on the 983H, their most expensive DVD player offered with the shortest player and support lifecycle.

There was also a beta firmware from November, as well as probably the most demanding new product development project in the company's history going on over the last six or eight months. Also, the underlying platform (the Mediatek portion) was well-established at that point, having been carried over from the 980H, reducing the potential need for updates.

The Yamaha compatibility issues are troubling, no doubt about it, but as others have said it is difficult to lay all the blame at OPPO's feet when Yamaha and ABT are also involved - after all, it's still conceivable that the problem must be resolved through changes to the Yamaha receivers or other measures that cannot be handled via firmware updates to the 983H.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #5242 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have never observed any compatibility issues with the DV-983H and Yamaha RX-V663 I own. I do recall reading of issues with other players and some Yamaha receivers over the years. If the problem is isolated to only a couple Yamaha receivers, I would think the best chance for a fix would be from Yamaha. That isn't to say that Oppo can't figure out a fix but it might be difficult from the Oppo side to say the least.

Chris
post #5243 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sigh...

Still patiently waiting for you to post what "issue" it is that you're having with your 983 that Oppo is "ignoring". Along with all the issues ("more than a few") that others are having. You seem to want to throw around inflammatory terms and stir the pot, but you have yet to substantiate a single statement.

Obviously you're unhappy about Oppo introducing the BDP-83 and discontinuing the 983, but apart from THAT, what are you complaining about?
post #5244 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Still patiently waiting for you to post what "issue" it is that you're having with your 983 that Oppo is "ignoring". Along with all the issues ("more than a few") that others are having. You seem to want to throw around inflammatory terms and stir the pot, but you have yet to substantiate a single statement.

Obviously you're unhappy about Oppo introducing the BDP-83 and discontinuing the 983, but apart from THAT, what are you complaining about?

My goodness, how the fanboy(s) inflame!

In addition to the issues in this thread, I clearly stated my own -- albeit minor, it's indicative of Oppo's new attitude towards 983 owners. Reading carefully is fundamental, so I'll re-quote it for you from my earlier post:

"Except for a relatively small issue I called them about seven months ago regarding the 983's screen saver mode that goes to black instead of the bouncing logo of previous models -- sometimes resulting in having to turn the unit off & on again to regain HDMI handshake -- their response was that they were aware of the problem, and it would be addressed in the "next" firmware release. Still waiting, btw."

Your insistence on dissing the messenger and stifling opinion is getting kinda stale...I suggest you focus on beta testing the blu-ray and leave the 983 posters have their opinions; this IS a 983 thread, as you pointed out, isn't it?
post #5245 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your insistence on dissing the messenger and stifling opinion is getting kinda stale...I suggest you focus on beta testing the blu-ray and leave the 983 posters have their opinions; this IS a 983 thread, as you pointed out, isn't it?

+1 on that. This is a 983 thread and rdgrimes doesn't even own one.
post #5246 of 5594 Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You guys must be spoiled as hell. You have NO IDEA what bad customer service and product disappointment is about.
Why doesn't everyone just StF^ and enjoy their player until OPPO releases a new firmware. If you don't like it, you can just sell your player for almost as much (if not more) then you paid for it. No one is forcing anyone to USE the 983.
Whining like little babies on the forum is going to get you nothing. As Dr Phil would say, "How's that workin for ya?"
If you want results, why not try writing a cordial letter_of_discontent to the CEO of Oppo Digital? Oh wait, that might actually produce results...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5247 of 5594 Old 06-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

You guys must be spoiled as hell. You have NO IDEA what bad customer service and product disappointment is about.
Why doesn't everyone just StF^ and enjoy their player until OPPO releases a new firmware. If you don't like it, you can just sell your player for almost as much (if not more) then you paid for it. No one is forcing anyone to USE the 983.
Whining like little babies on the forum is going to get you nothing. As Dr Phil would say, "How's that workin for ya?"
If you want results, why not try writing a cordial letter_of_discontent to the CEO of Oppo Digital? Oh wait, that might actually produce results...

You mean a mere letter to Oppo's CEO to produce long overdue FW updates for the 983 -- instead of months of mere lip service when their customer service is called -- will do the trick?? What a great idea...good advice, champ!

Oh, and thanks for the vitriol, too. What would a 983 thread be anymore without 83 fanboys telling everyone who voices issues to "StF^" -- you're a class act.
post #5248 of 5594 Old 06-12-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Corrections require that the error is duplicated (which OPPO has admitted to), are isolated (which OPPO has not admitted to), can be addressed through software, and resources are available to implement a compatibility fix.

OPPO has said they are working with ABT to resolve the issue. We will presume they are. Now what becomes an issue is if the issue is correctable on OPPO's end, if it is correctable on Yamaha's end, and what resources are required to further diagnose and fix the issue.

OPPO is a very small company and they may not have enough inhouse or external partner support to fix this issue. OPPO is very reliant on their partners (particularly MTK) when it comes to fixing inherent chipset issues. This is why you see some very long standing issues not resolved. If their partners are not helpful, OPPO does not have the inhouse hands to fix standing issues.
post #5249 of 5594 Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

+1 on that. This is a 983 thread and rdgrimes doesn't even own one.

You do not need to own the player to offer advice. If owning something was a requirement of AVS Forum posting, then you would see a lot less support from the community.
post #5250 of 5594 Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

You do not need to own the player to offer advice. If owning something was a requirement of AVS Forum posting, then you would see a lot less support from the community.

Sorry, but the last ten posts of rdgrimes in this thread have been anything but helpful. Just playing Oppo fanboy, not AVS contributing member.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page