Forum Jump: 

post #5311 of 5594 Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamov View Post

I'm also disappointed, for 400$ DVD player, we can only except perfection, or at least great support from the manufacturer.
I felt betrayed when Oppo discontinued the player so quickly. I was expecting all the bugs to be still fixed but it looks like they don't care anymore.
That will make me think twice before recommending or buying another Oppo product.

I was hooted down awhile ago when I expressed the same sentiment and opinion, also repremanded by a mod. My dissatisfaction with that Oppo was that they'd abandoned further improvements to 983 firmware to pursue beta testing their $500 blu-ray player. I was assured by the "blindly faithful" that once the blu-ray was off and running, Oppo would get back to the 983. Well...still waiting, as are you. I'm keeping my 983...maybe Santa will bring a f/w update to fix the remaining issues; but if/when I go blu-ray, it definitely won't be an Oppo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5594 Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
OPPO always works on new firmware, what becomes an issue is if the firmware is released externally to the public or if it fixes issues which you are directly experiencing.

Beta Testers are very vehement about continued support, as we actually see additional firmware releases. What generally happens, though, is that more stuff becomes broken (such as the current Beta and it requiring that you press Eject to enable HDMI video if you are using the two-chip solution) then fixed.
post #5313 of 5594 Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Here's a new wrinkle. I just picked up a new a/v receiver (Sony STRDN1000) and the 983 is behaving exactly the same way when connected through it.

I've been back and forth with OPPO three times now with Q&A, the latest adding the AVR info to the mix. I must say that I find a certain satisfaction with their willingness to communicate this way. Fingers crossed!
post #5314 of 5594 Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 AM

I used to watch european/pal dvd on my ntsc tv which accepts 480i signal. All of a sudden the picture is scrambled (running vertical) but the sound works. My primary connection is hdmi (to my projector 720p) and the ntsc tv is connected with component cable (region code 0). Played around with the setting yesterday but no success. Manual says that it will send 480i over component when primary is set on hdmi.
Anybody has an idea how to fix this?
post #5315 of 5594 Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiwi View Post

I used to watch european/pal dvd on my ntsc tv which accepts 480i signal. All of a sudden the picture is scrambled (running vertical) but the sound works. My primary connection is hdmi (to my projector 720p) and the ntsc tv is connected with component cable (region code 0). Played around with the setting yesterday but no success. Manual says that it will send 480i over component when primary is set on hdmi.
Anybody has an idea how to fix this?

You need PAL->NTSC conversion, not 576i, right?

Does switching Video Mode between Video1 and 2 do anything?

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5316 of 5594 Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You need PAL->NTSC conversion, not 576i, right?

Does switching Video Mode between Video1 and 2 do anything?

-Bill

yes need pal to nstc conversion and have Video 2 mode.
thanks for the quick comment
post #5317 of 5594 Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

yes need pal to nstc conversion and have Video 2 mode.
thanks for the quick comment

Does VIDEO1 give a different result? Does either setting with Primary Output = Component give a better picture?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5318 of 5594 Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Does VIDEO1 give a different result? Does either setting with Primary Output = Component give a better picture?

-Bill

tried primary component and had the same result. I will try video 1 tonight and report back.
thanks Bill
post #5319 of 5594 Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

tried primary component and had the same result. I will try video 1 tonight and report back.
thanks Bill

Also make sure that TV System type didn't accidentally get set to AUTO. With that setting a PAL disc will generate a 50hz signal which will cause a scrambled image if the TV doesn't accept 50hz. In which case you want it set to NTSC.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5320 of 5594 Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Also make sure that TV System type didn't accidentally get set to AUTO. With that setting a PAL disc will generate a 50hz signal which will cause a scrambled image if the TV doesn't accept 50hz. In which case you want it set to NTSC.

-Bill

Bill you were right.
Playing PAL dvds with a different region code on an older ntsc tv with component connection you need to set the player to ntsc and video 1.
Thanks a lot.
post #5321 of 5594 Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

OPPO always works on new firmware, what becomes an issue is if the firmware is released externally to the public or if it fixes issues which you are directly experiencing.

Beta Testers are very vehement about continued support, as we actually see additional firmware releases. What generally happens, though, is that more stuff becomes broken (such as the current Beta and it requiring that you press Eject to enable HDMI video if you are using the two-chip solution) then fixed.

Maybe I missed something, but your response doesn't address my oft-stated concern that Oppo appear to have abandoned further firmware releases for the 983 (last "beta" f/w was November 2008) -- things that should have been addressed by now, such as the subtitle issues, handshake problems with several popular receivers, etc.

Oh well...
post #5322 of 5594 Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
My comment directly answers your question: Just because you do not see any additional firmware advancements, doesn't mean that OPPO has stopped firmware advancements.
post #5323 of 5594 Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobve3rens View Post

Maybe I missed something, but your response doesn't address my oft-stated concern that Oppo appear to have abandoned further firmware releases for the 983 (last "beta" f/w was November 2008) -- things that should have been addressed by now, such as the subtitle issues, handshake problems with several popular receivers, etc.

Oh well...

Some of the things you mention, like subtitles, are things that OPPO could work on, if it's even possible to improve it.
Other things however may not ever be perfect. No matter what piece of gear you buy from anywhere, there will always be unresolvable compatibility issues with a small percentage of connected gear.
This is why OPPO gives you the guarantee of sending the player back, if after you buy it, you decide it's not the product for you.
Once you take the player as your own, you are committing to owning the player as-is.
For OPPO to have improved anything at all, is a plus for you.
If new problems should develope because of a firmware upgrade, then it is OPPO's responsibility to fix it. Otherwise, they a free to move on.

As I said in an earlier post. I do personally believe that OPPO owes 983 owners one more solid non-beta fw release. Hopefully they will be able to do that, but as alluded to above, that hinges on the premise that they CAN improve current features. I certainly don't speak for OPPO, so we shall see...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5324 of 5594 Old 08-29-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

My comment directly answers your question: Just because you do not see any additional firmware advancements, doesn't mean that OPPO has stopped firmware advancements.

He asked about a firmware update (i.e., a release to end users), not an internal "advancement," so you did not address his question.

I agree with him completely that it looks like, to anyone on the outside, Oppo has unfortunately abandoned the 983.
post #5325 of 5594 Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 AM

I received this from OPPO after a few Q&A emails......

John,

We will have our engineers look into your observed issues and see if there is anything that we can do. Unfortunately we do not have access to your television, so we will not be able to directly interface with the error.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

I decided to reinstall the beta firmware because I find the 4:3 Aspect Ratio Detection problem more annoying than the HDMI handshack issue I discovered with my new Sony equipment. Each time I turn on the 983 I must cycle through the HDMI setting (480-720-1080) in order to achieve a handshack. Gives me something to do while waiting for the disc tray to eject. I can live with it but it would have been nice to have a fix. I love my 983 and have no plans to buy a stand alone BD (I have a PS3). I have over 2000 DVD's (many PAL) in my collection and will never take on the chore of replacing them with BluRay. I already did that once switching from VHS to DVD. Never again , it's a matter of principle with me. I paid more than once for far to many titles (VHS to DVD to DVD reissue, no more-thats it!). Not only that but the OPPO gives me such a beautiful picture on the Sony LED/LCD display that I'm not even slightly tempted to start collecting BD's.
post #5326 of 5594 Old 08-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf14 View Post

I received this from OPPO after a few Q&A emails......

John,

We will have our engineers look into your observed issues and see if there is anything that we can do. Unfortunately we do not have access to your television, so we will not be able to directly interface with the error.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

I decided to reinstall the beta firmware because I find the 4:3 Aspect Ratio Detection problem more annoying than the HDMI handshack issue I discovered with my new Sony equipment. Each time I turn on the 983 I must cycle through the HDMI setting (480-720-1080) in order to achieve a handshack. Gives me something to do while waiting for the disc tray to eject. I can live with it but it would have been nice to have a fix. I love my 983 and have no plans to buy a stand alone BD (I have a PS3). I have over 2000 DVD's (many PAL) in my collection and will never take on the chore of replacing them with BluRay. I already did that once switching from VHS to DVD. Never again , it's a matter of principle with me. I paid more than once for far to many titles (VHS to DVD to DVD reissue, no more-thats it!). Not only that but the OPPO gives me such a beautiful picture on the Sony LED/LCD display that I'm not even slightly tempted to start collecting BD's.

I hear ya. My collection is close to 1000, and after many double dips myself, I also have no intention of triple dipping. The picture from the 983 to my calibrated Kuro is so good, the improvement from BD at my seating distance (10 ft on a 50" set), just doesn't justify a triple dip in my opinion. One day "if/when" prices on the discs themselves comes down, I will add BD to my system.

John
post #5327 of 5594 Old 08-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf14 View Post

I'm in the same boat with owning DVDs from other regions and have the same aspect ratio detection issue, along with having to cycle through the HDMI setting (480-720-1080) in order to achieve a handshake. These issues only cropped up when I upgraded to the latest firmware. I was hoping Oppo would issue a firmware update with fixes to the problems but we've received nothing for a long time.
post #5328 of 5594 Old 08-30-2009, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Some of the things you mention, like subtitles, are things that OPPO could work on, if it's even possible to improve it.
Other things however may not ever be perfect. No matter what piece of gear you buy from anywhere, there will always be unresolvable compatibility issues with a small percentage of connected gear.
This is why OPPO gives you the guarantee of sending the player back, if after you buy it, you decide it's not the product for you.
Once you take the player as your own, you are committing to owning the player as-is.
For OPPO to have improved anything at all, is a plus for you.
If new problems should develope because of a firmware upgrade, then it is OPPO's responsibility to fix it. Otherwise, they a free to move on.

As I said in an earlier post. I do personally believe that OPPO owes 983 owners one more solid non-beta fw release. Hopefully they will be able to do that, but as alluded to above, that hinges on the premise that they CAN improve current features. I certainly don't speak for OPPO, so we shall see...

I think the problem is the beta firmware created too many issues and therefore it is very difficult to fix enough of the issues to get to a final version. I also think it is further complicated by the differences between the two chip and single chip versions. I haven't bothered to install the beta version and fortunately haven't noticed any issues with my equipment and how I use it. I have a large collection of SACD, DVD-A, CD and Region 1 DVD-V and don't use the player for anything else.

Chris
post #5329 of 5594 Old 08-30-2009, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was hooted down awhile ago when I expressed the same sentiment and opinion, also repremanded by a mod. My dissatisfaction with that Oppo was that they'd abandoned further improvements to 983 firmware to pursue beta testing their $500 blu-ray player. I was assured by the "blindly faithful" that once the blu-ray was off and running, Oppo would get back to the 983. Well...still waiting, as are you. I'm keeping my 983...maybe Santa will bring a f/w update to fix the remaining issues; but if/when I go blu-ray, it definitely won't be an Oppo.

If you do decide to go Blu-ray and want the things the DV-983H does plus Blu-ray, good luck finding something for less than $2,000 that isn't an Oppo or Oppo clone.

Chris
post #5330 of 5594 Old 09-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

If you do decide to go Blu-ray and want the things the DV-983H does plus Blu-ray, good luck finding something for less than $2,000 that isn't an Oppo or Oppo clone.

Chris

Less than $2000?? Talk about fanboy hype, this one takes the cake!!

If I ever decide to go blu-ray, I'll keep the 983H --which also happens to play multiregion discs -- and add a cheap bd player that'll look as good as any blu-ray out there.

In the meantime, I'll continue to wait for Oppo's latest firmware for the 983 (talk about cold day in h3ll)
post #5331 of 5594 Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Could you list the less expensive universal players for us?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5332 of 5594 Old 09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
He's talking about keeping the 983 for his universal player, plus it's region free and then using an inexpensive BD player for Blu-Ray. I think Chris missed that in his response.

I have my 983 for SD and universal duties and a $200 Panasonic for Blu-Ray. Much less that $2000, I don't need the BD-83 for Blu-Ray and neither does bobve3rens.
post #5333 of 5594 Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

He's talking about keeping the 983 for his universal player, plus it's region free and then using an inexpensive BD player for Blu-Ray. I think Chris missed that in his response.

I have my 983 for SD and universal duties and a $200 Panasonic for Blu-Ray. Much less that $2000, I don't need the BD-83 for Blu-Ray and neither does bobve3rens.

983 + mediocre $200 BR player = $600

BDP-83 = $500
(region free kit available for $75)

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #5334 of 5594 Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I ever decide to go blu-ray, I'll keep the 983H --which also happens to play multiregion discs -- and add a cheap bd player that'll look as good as any blu-ray out there.

In the meantime, I'll continue to wait for Oppo's latest firmware for the 983 (talk about cold day in h3ll)

I meant go ahead and point out the single player that can do the things the BDP-83 does for less than $2,000. I will wait for your response.

Chris
post #5335 of 5594 Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

983 + mediocre $200 BR player = $600

BDP-83 = $500
(region free kit available for $75)

B-b-b-ut I already said I OWN a 983, so the equation goes something like this:
- DV-983H = paid for (region free included @ no extra charge and no messing with DIY kits
-cheap BD player = between $85 - $150 at current prices (IF and when I want one). And unlike upconverting SD players where there are very definite quality differences, I've seen expensive Denons and inexpensive Magnavox blu-ray players look IDENTICAL in side-by-side demos.

Chris and the Oppo fanboys keep missing the point and will continue to do so because they're blinded by devotion (and the $600 they already shelled out) to the BDP-83.

But as I said wayyyyyyy back in my original posts, if Oppo is the mfr. god we think they are, why did they discontinue development and refinement on the short-lived (aborted might be a better word) 983?? And from what I see, 83s ain't selling like hotcakes.
post #5336 of 5594 Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

- DV-983H = paid for (region free included @ no extra charge and no messing with DIY kits
-cheap BD player = between $85 - $150 at current prices (IF and when I want one). And unlike upconverting SD players where there are very definite quality differences, I've seen expensive Denons and inexpensive Magnavox blu-ray players look IDENTICAL in side-by-side demos.

Chris and the Oppo fanboys keep missing the point and will continue to do so because they're blinded by devotion (and the $600 they already shelled out) to the BDP-83.

But as I said wayyyyyyy back in my original posts, if Oppo is the mfr. god we think they are, why did they discontinue development and refinement on the short-lived (aborted might be a better word) 983?? And from what I see, 83s ain't selling like hotcakes.

What Exactly is your point?
Keep the 983 and buy a POS $85 Blu-ray player. That is your choice.

When speaking of comparing BR players side by side, you are most likely referring to 1080p/24 coming bit for bit off of the disc, and yes, most players will look similar when comparing that function. However that is only ONE aspect of what a BR player is capable of.

Did it ever occur to you that what someone/anyone here speaks of is what they believe to be the truth? Why is it that if someone has a differing opinion, that they are blind, or a fanboy, or whatever?
Try to step back and look at the whole situation from an outsiders perspective.

I also don't know where you are looking for clues on how much the BDP-83 is selling, but if you look in the right places, like dozens of professional reviews, owners thread on AVS, Amazon.com sale rankings, and other similar non-standard measurements, you would see that the BDP-83 is now one of the best selling Blu-ray players in history thus far. Selling like hotcakes?... that's an understatement.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #5337 of 5594 Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 AM

Hello,
I recorded the US Open final (so sad that Federer lost...) on a DVDR in ultra long mode (6 hours on a single sided DVDR) with a cheap Philips DVD recorder. I tried playing back on this device, it was a disgusting pixel puree...
I dumped the disk in the 983 and I was blown away by the video processing. It became watchable and all heavy compression artefacts were suppressed.

Kudos! Love this player.

Gam.
post #5338 of 5594 Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

I still say this is one of the best dvd players released at any price.
post #5339 of 5594 Old 09-19-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Guys,

yesterday evening we've got some friends over, for a movie session and we watched The Killers' 64 (Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson, Ronnie Reagan & John Cassavetes), thru the 983 though, and WOW was the most pronounced word from our friends throughout the entire film

Just another good report from this impressive player, though!

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #5340 of 5594 Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris

Quote:

Quote:

I meant go ahead and point out the single player that can do the things the BDP-83 does for less than $2,000. I will wait for your response.

Chris

Quote:

If you are happy with multiple players, you can get everything the Oppo BDP-83 does for less than $2,000. Some people want a single player for it all. I just made a valid point and all you responded with silly fanboy name calling. My point was apparently accurate since I didn't see any response from you to what I stated.

I don't know the reason Oppo hasn't been able to provide a needed firmware update for the DV-983H, assuming the player needs one. My player works great with my display and AVR at the last official firmware version. I also don't know what component is at fault when there are issues at this point, only that HDMI issues can exist between components and getting the manufacturers to admit to and correct the issues has been difficult. You apparently assume Oppo is at fault here and I don't have information to come to that conclusion. A single player that plays all of these formats over HDMI isn't a simple player to make, otherwise there would be some challenge to Oppo at the Oppo price point.

I believe Oppo provides high quality and exceptional value with excellent customer service. That opinion is based on owning Oppo players for several years. If your experience is Oppo players have issues with your equipment, then your experience is certainly different than mine. I personally hope Oppo finds a way to fix any remaining issues with the DV-983H. Read threads on the $2,000+ plus Blu-ray players and I think you will see those players have owners claiming there are issues with their systems.

Chris
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page