Official OPPO DV-983H w/ ABT VRS FAQ/Dump - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 5594 Old 04-03-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The HDMI output failed on my 983. Swapped out cables. Component and S video work. Did a FW re-flash so it must be a bad HDMI board.

My original unit goes back to 2008, I was one of the EAP group with the BDP-83. That first unit also had the HDMI output fail after just one week in use. Replaced by oppo very quickly.

So I'll contact oppo and find out about repair cost. But even though the 983 was the best, last DVD player design by anyone it may be time to move on.

I also have the dreaded tray opening problem now with my BDP-83. And l still will most likely buy a 93 for a new room configuration.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5594 Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I have some issues between my DV-983H and my Yamaha RX-V2067 (I think it is called RX-A2000 in the US). I have no picture when scaling to 1080p with my Oppo, audio and picture dropouts @ 1080i and sporadic audio dropouts @ 720p. I have also realized that my RX-V2067 does not recognize the video signal (eg the aspect ratio) produced by the Oppo and therefore cannot further process the picture. Also the on screen menue cannot be displayed directly into the signal; when pressing the on screen button the Yamaha background image is displayed.

Oppo Support assumed that this is due to the implementation of the ABT in the receiver. As far as I know, the RX-V2067 has a HQV Vida and no ABT chip.

Has anyone got similar issues? Any ideas?
post #5583 of 5594 Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausl007 View Post

Hi,

I have some issues between my DV-983H and my Yamaha RX-V2067 (I think it is called RX-A2000 in the US). I have no picture when scaling to 1080p with my Oppo, audio and picture dropouts @ 1080i and sporadic audio dropouts @ 720p. I have also realized that my RX-V2067 does not recognize the video signal (eg the aspect ratio) produced by the Oppo and therefore cannot further process the picture. Also the on screen menue cannot be displayed directly into the signal; when pressing the on screen button the Yamaha background image is displayed.

Oppo Support assumed that this is due to the implementation of the ABT in the receiver. As far as I know, the RX-V2067 has a HQV Vida and no ABT chip.

Replace all HDMI cables. I'd also suggest leaving all video processing turned off in the AVR.
post #5584 of 5594 Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 AM

Replacing the HDMI cables did not solve my issues, video processing is turned off.

I found out that the Yamaha does recognize the signal in case the Oppo does only do the deinterlacing (output set to 576p). Overlaying the on screen menue does also work. But as soon as the Oppo also does the scaling, the Yamaha does not recognize the signal any more. However, it is at least forwarded up to 720p properly (with occasional audio dropouts). Pretty annoying.
post #5585 of 5594 Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Replacing the HDMI cables did not solve my issues, video processing is turned off.

I found out that the Yamaha does recognize the signal in case the Oppo does only do the deinterlacing (output set to 576p). Overlaying the on screen menue does also work. But as soon as the Oppo also does the scaling, the Yamaha does not recognize the signal any more. However, it is at least forwarded up to 720p properly (with occasional audio dropouts). Pretty annoying.

Starting to sound like a possible HDCP issue, which could leave you out in the cold. I've not heard of this yet with any Yamaha AVR. If the AVR is set to pass through all HDMI video with no processing, that's about all you can do. Did you replace cables on both sides of the AVR?

Edited to add: Do you have the latest firmware in the Yamaha?
post #5586 of 5594 Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:

Hi,

Get a flashlight and carefully inspect the HDMI plugs sockets at both ends of each cable looking for signs of pin damage. Keep in mind that HDMI is an end to end protocol so the problem can be in the cable between the AVR and the TV. Do this first. A cable with a damaged plug should be discarded (don't try to "fix" it) as it can damage any socket it is plugged into.

Any HDMI cable you use should be labeled for "high speed" or "1080p" use.

Next, hook up the player directly to the TV. Do not use a long HDMI cable for this. Use a cable about 6 feet (2 meters) long. Do not daisy chain cables, or have anything like adapters, wall plates, or HDMI switches in the path -- just a single length of cable from player to display. What you are looking to do here is to verify that the HDMI output of the player and input of the TV are working correctly.

START with 480p (or 576p) output resolution from the player. This is the "simplest" resolution for HDMI to handle. If that works, move up to 1080i and then to 1080p. If you can't get the HDMI to work when directly connected to the TV like this then either the Oppo or the TV likely needs service. Take the Oppo to a different TV (a friend's house or a dealer) to see if it is the Oppo.

Presuming the direct connection works, power everything down and re-hook up with the AVR in the middle -- again just a single length of HDMI from player to AVR and another single length from AVR to TV.

With everything powered down, turn on the TV -- wait for it to COMPLETELY power up. Now turn on the AVR and select the input from the Oppo -- again, wait for the AVR to completely power up. Only then turn on the Oppo. What you are looking for here is whether there is a power-on sequence problem -- where the HDMI of either the TV or the AVR is getting confused because it is being asked to handshake before it is really ready.

After all three are powered up try 480p (576p) first, then 1080i, then 1080p from the Oppo.

If that still doesn't work, try resetting factory defaults in the AVR and in the Oppo, and manually re-entering just enough of your personal settings to re-establish the HDMI connection.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5587 of 5594 Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 AM

Thanks Bob, thanks rdgrimes.

The direct connection between the Oppo and my beamer works fine. As soon as i hook up the Yamaha in between, the issue occurs. Must be something between the Oppo and the Yamaha.

I don't think that it is a handshake issue as the handshake definitely works @720p and I also have audio @1080p (but no picture).

The Yamaha has the latest FW (3.15). I'll try resetting both devices tonight.
post #5588 of 5594 Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Bob, thanks rdgrimes.

The direct connection between the Oppo and my beamer works fine. As soon as i hook up the Yamaha in between, the issue occurs. Must be something between the Oppo and the Yamaha.

I don't think that it is a handshake issue as the handshake definitely works @720p and I also have audio @1080p (but no picture).

The Yamaha has the latest FW (3.15). I'll try resetting both devices tonight.

I still feel that you're describing a HDMI cable problem, so all I can add is that you should replace them with a good "high-speed" HDMI cable, especially the one from the AVR to the TV.
post #5589 of 5594 Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

OPPO service continues to amaze. I sent an email regarding a failed HDMI out on my 983.

Email sent at 3:30p their time on a Sunday. Received a response in 30 minutes! Support suggested a few trouble shooting steps. Those did not resolve the problem.

They sent an RMA#. They received the unit, tested, replaced parts and shipped out on the same day!

In addition to a new HDMI board they found a playback issue during testing, that I never noticed and replaced the optical unit.

They even shipped the unit back in a new box with a new black cloth sack (I tore a small hole in the original).

Total cost: $17 to ship out to California.

All this for a unit that I ordered June 2008.

Impressive.

Joe
post #5590 of 5594 Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

OPPO service continues to amaze. I sent an email regarding a failed HDMI out on my 983.

Email sent at 3:30p their time on a Sunday. Received a response in 30 minutes! Support suggested a few trouble shooting steps. Those did not resolve the problem.

They sent an RMA#. They received the unit, tested, replaced parts and shipped out on the same day!

In addition to a new HDMI board they found a playback issue during testing, that I never noticed and replaced the optical unit.

They even shipped the unit back in a new box with a new black cloth sack (I tore a small hole in the original).

Total cost: $17 to ship out to California.

All this for a unit that I ordered June 2008.

Impressive.

Joe

Damn! Wheres the emoticon for flaming ENVY!!!!

Thats 'gonna keep the price of 2nd hand 983's up in the !#&*!! stratosphere for us currently deprived souls.

You lucky dog.

Mike K

post #5591 of 5594 Old 04-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

I just disassembled my 983 and straightned out all of the componets on the boards to prevent possible shorts and blew out what little dust there was, then put it all back together and buttoned it up-now I'm good for another few years. I gotta say my 983 has been rock solid in the time I've owned it, best $400 I've ever spent.
post #5592 of 5594 Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 PM

Great player - amongst the best I own.

Sorry to bump, but I found a hidden feature/glitch people might be interested in. Couldn't find anything about it in search. Anyway, I found a way to disable forced subtitles on DVDs. Not talking about burnt subtitles in the picture, but those forced upon you by certain discs (usually European) for legal reasons. Normally you have to take the disc, transfer it to your computer, rip and put it through a program to disable them, and burn a DVDr. A very annoying workaround. If you try to disable them through the Oppo, either through the setup menu, or through the Info button during playback, it automatically reverts to displaying them again regardless.

This method worked for me: insert and play the film you want, press stop, then stop again to return to the start of the film, then press play. When the disc resumes from the beginning the subtitles will not appear - presto! You can even go into the Info section while playing and under subtitle it should read "off". This worked for all the discs I owned that force subtitles. I think the reason it does this is because when you stop the movie, and effectively restart it again, you're bypassing the menu screen where the automatic activation of the subtitle is made. It's like jumping straight to the film and not letting the disc tell your Oppo to display the unwanted text.

Anybody else feel like trying it out to confirm? Like I mentioned, it worked for me, and I'm extremely happy about it!

Edit: Just found out something: When you stop the film, make sure it is at least at the second chapter of the disc when the film is playing, otherwise it can't restart to the beginning with the second stop, and therefore when you press play, it will resume and the forded subs will still be present.

So, new instructions:

Play film, wait until it reach at least the second chapter. Press stop, stop again, then press play. The film will restart at the beginning and the subs will be gone.
post #5593 of 5594 Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the tip. A couple of years back I'd purchased a Russian DVD of Von Trier's "Antichrist" with "forced" subtitles the 983 could not disable. As the Russion disc predated the US Criterion release by a full year(!) I was willing to put up with the Russian subs, however, if this trick works I'll be really pleased...
Again, thanks for your info.
Peter
post #5594 of 5594 Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hey Guys,

just for the records, a couple weeks ago I decided to use the CAPTURE option on my 983 just for kicks, thus replacing the default Oppo logo, though.

Having done that, after some days the video quality of DVD's became just plain horrible, sometimes blurred, sometimes kinda "garbled", with too much ghosting, colors totally undefined and so on. Audio quality was fine all the time, as a matter of fact.

Well, the first thing that came to mind was a faulty cable and I replaced the original HDMI cable for another one and I did twice, without success.

Afterwards I started to think that the culprit was the 983 video processor, as it just started to fail out of a sudden though...

To make a long story short, yesterday evening I thought: why not returning to the DEFAULT mode ( Oppo logo ), rather than keeping the CAPTURED image?? Voila, everything came back to normal and my 983 is playing flawlessly the same way it did since day one; go figure...

Question though: what could have caused such an issue??

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page