Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

When Pro Logic II is disabled and the fronts are set to "large," the 983H will send the left and right channels for whatever source is playing (whether 5.1 or 2.0) to the left and right outputs with no alteration. That means that for stereo sources, the left and right outputs will work just fine as a full-range stereo output.

Also, don't forget that the 983H allows you to toggle between multichannel SACD, stereo SACD, and (when available) CD on an SACD using the Audio button on the remote. Previous OPPO players did not offer this.

So if I hook the Oppo up via HDMI then would I use the audio button on the Oppo to listen to 2 channel music or would I just change it on my AVR? My NAD T785 has a button on its remote as well that can toggle between formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

So if I hook the Oppo up via HDMI then would I use the audio button on the Oppo to listen to 2 channel music or would I just change it on my AVR? My NAD T785 has a button on its remote as well that can toggle between formats.

Keep in mind that this is just relating to SACD, at least as far as the specific behavior of the Audio button is concerned. If you connect the 983H to your NAD via HDMI, an SACD will normally default to whatever "SACD Priority" is set to (multichannel, stereo, or CD) and the 983H will output either multichannel or stereo PCM. You will then be able to change between those three using the Audio button. Each time you change between one of the three, the SACD will be re-started from the beginning. The NAD will see either multichannel PCM (from multichannel SACD) or stereo PCM (from stereo SACD or from the CD layer, if it is a hybrid SACD that offers the CD layer) and will do whatever you ask it to do with that.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 AM

Well here I am at work with a Oppo 983 box in my lap. Can't wait 'till quiting time......
post #184 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Well here I am at work with a Oppo 983 box in my lap. Can't wait 'till quiting time......

You suddenly got the flu right? now go home (and play with your 983 and report back here )

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #185 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

That does sound like a pretty nasty cough you've got there, hikinokie...

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #186 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah.. you are looking very pale.....
post #187 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Jeff, i too played with this disk. However, i do not know what i am doing. Can you tell us -nontechs- how to use this or just keep it in the box. I haven't had chance to cali. w/Avis/RS SPL yet.
Just to make sure the disk is the Anchor bay-video reference series- one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhdz View Post

HQV 1.4 benchmark disc result is as the following:

(Format - Test: PS3 Result / 983H Result)

The HQV 1.4 disc is recognized as 4:3 by both PS3 and 983H. All tests are done in pillarbox mode with border added by the players on left and right sides.

Color Bar: Areas 2 and 3 have flickering; Cropped about 3% on left and right / Stable image, no flickering; No cropping.
Jaggies 1: Pass / Pass
Jaggies 2: Pass / Pass
Flag: Pass / Pass
Detail: Pass / Pass (seems to have better detail on the bridge)
Noise Reduction: not tested (don't know how to turn on NR with the PS3)
Motion Adaptive Noise Reduction: not tested. However I noticed apparent etching around the roller coaster tracks with the PS3. The 983H shows no etching.
Film Detail: Pass / Pass
Assorted Cadences:
2:2 30fps Video: Pass / Pass (momentary flickering noticed but quickly recovered)
2:2:2:4 DVCAM: Pass the first round, fail the second round / Pass for both rounds
2:3:3:2 DVCAM: Fail / Pass
3:2:3:2:2 Vari-Speed: Fail / Pass
5:5 Animation: Pass / Pass
6:4 Animation: Pass / Pass
8:7 Anime: Pass / Pass
3:2 24fps Film: Pass / Pass
Mixed 3:2: Pass / Pass

I would say the 983H does a better job processing DVD than the PS3. It handles more cadences, has less flickering, and less etching. Bad Edits handling is also better on the 983H. On the other hand, the PS3 can play Blu-ray and still does a very good job playing DVD, especially animations. I will keep both on my A/V rack, with the PS3 primarily for Blu-ray, and the 983H for the rest of round discs.

post #188 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post

I tried to register there but the registration process is disabled..

presently have the 980 being used as my DVD-A and SACD player..

This is a pretty vague statement..are there any sonic improvements over HDMI or have they just improved the analog output stage?

I was bit disappointed with the 981 HDMI audio and thought the issue was with my Denon receiver. So I purchased the 983 with the thought of using the analog outs to bypass the DAC's in the Denon. But I was pleasantly surprised to find there is a significant improvement in the HDMI audio compared to my 981. I would attribute that to the transport and ps upgrades.(?) There may also have been up some upgrade to digital audio output. Perhaps some 'insider' may have an idea. Haven't tried the analog outs yet but will, when i get hold of 8 rca cables.

Overall, I am very happy with the 983.
post #189 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

Yeah.. you are looking very pale.....

Boss..*cough-cough* feeling sick...eyes watering, barely see back door.....stagger stagger crawl crawl...
post #190 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post

Does the 983H retain the full resolution of 4:3 DVDs when pillarboxing them, unlike previous models?

Yes.

Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:

Also, does the 983H eliminate the flickering/strobing in 1080i mode that affected previous models (due to the Faroudja chip)?

I don't remember seeing that on the 971/981.

It is very noticeable on the 971 as viewed on my native 1080i display. I have to use the 720p output mode to get a stable, solid image. Neuromancer references it here.
post #191 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd like to know whether this player is worth the $400 + shipping + duties in price (it'll be close to $550 once it arrives in Canada). I was looking forward to the ABT processor, but considering a Reon outboard processor is only $500, I wonder about the value of this unit.

Especially when several Toshiba HD-DVD players have Anchor Bay processors in them, and can be had for dirt cheap. The A30 is about $130 right now, and has AB processing for upscaling, making it $270 less for basically the same performance upscaling standard-def DVDs.

Granted the Oppo has numerous other features (PAL, etc.) but this unit really is over-priced given the other players out there for what it's primarily geared to do.
post #192 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

Especially when several Toshiba HD-DVD players have Anchor Bay processors in them, and can be had for dirt cheap. The A30 is about $130 right now, and has AB processing for upscaling, making it $270 less for basically the same performance upscaling standard-def DVDs.

Granted the Oppo has numerous other features (PAL, etc.) but this unit really is over-priced given the other players out there for what it's primarily geared to do.

The A30 has ABT scaling... but it doesn't have ABT de-interlacing. That makes a HUGE difference! Proper motion-adaptive de-interlacing is by far the most difficult part of successfully upconverting standard-def DVDs.

Here's what the CNET review said about the A30's upscaling performance:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET View Post

One of the disappointments with the Toshiba HD-A20 was its performance on standard DVD in 1080p mode. It does not appear that the HD-A30 has made any major improvements, as we observed essentially the same lackluster performance on test patterns. We started off our tests with the standard definition HQV test suite from Silicon Optix, over HDMI in 1080p mode. It passed the initial resolution test, demonstrating it can display the full resolution of DVDs, although we saw more flickering than we'd like on several parts of the image. Next up were two "jaggies" test patterns and the HD-A30 performed poorly on both of them, exhibiting jagged edges where there should be smooth lines. This was also very evident in the next test with program material of a waving flag, with jaggies showing up on nearly every ripple. On the upside, it did successfully handle HQV's difficult 2:3 pull-down processing test, kicking into film mode in about a half a second.

I wouldn't call that "basically the same performance" as a 983!

Gary
post #193 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
De-interlacing is the most important aspect of quality video performance of a DVD player. Proper scaling can further refine the picture, but the number one factor will be proper de-interlacing.
post #194 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

I just tested 303 again. There is still a fairly significant difference between the "0" and "-1" setting. Look especially at the result in the high frequency vertical stripes in the bottom right of the Avia Sharpness pattern.

Are you seeing negative performance (ie. loss of resolution) with the 303 at -1? My comment was that there was no negative side effects of the "softer" picture of -1, unlike in previous firmware were the reduction of the Sharpness showed loss of horizontal and vertical resolution.
post #195 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is very noticeable on the 971 as viewed on my native 1080i display. I have to use the 720p output mode to get a stable, solid image. Neuromancer references it here.

I had no trouble with 1080i from the 971/981 on my displays, but I do know that the Faroudja chip's 1080i implementation is a little odd. The 983 will not have the same issue.

Gary
post #196 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Are you seeing negative performance (ie. loss of resolution) with the 303 at -1? My comment was that there was no negative side effects of the "softer" picture of -1, unlike in previous firmware were the reduction of the Sharpness showed loss of horizontal and vertical resolution.

Absolutely not. No negative side effects. I meant that there's a significant difference in the EE between each of the settings.

Gary
post #197 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As others have mentioned, the Toshiba HD-DVD players only use ABT for scaling, not for deinterlacing. The deinterlacing solution used by the 983H is a significant part of why it performs so well - and neuromancer posted something a week or so ago (here's the specific post) that honestly startled me. Just the deinterlacing chip and its associated ROM chip cost anywhere from $70 to $100+, before you do anything with them. That's about 18% to 25% of the total retail price of a 983H, tied up in two little chips.

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #198 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarac View Post

Any views on the scaling features of the oppo 938 - namely the letterbox to widescreen (16:19) conversion?

Non-anamorphic letterbox to widescreen conversion is as good as it gets.

Gary
post #199 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

Absolutely not. No negative side effects. I meant that there's a significant difference in the EE between each of the settings.

Ahh, then we were thinking two separate things. In your case, yes, there is significant differences between the default and -1 Sharpness.

In my regard for preserving resolution, -1 does not have any side effects.
post #200 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Heads Up: All Pre-orders Will Be Fulfilled This Afternoon
post #201 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

So what did you see? EE with 0?

At the sharpness setting of "0", the EE looks about the same as the "sharp" players that most people seem to prefer (like the DV-980H). The "-1" setting reduces the EE, but does not get rid of it.

Gary
post #202 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

Deinterlacing and upscaling are TWO very different things....with deinterlacing being much more important and difficult. As mentioned, the Toshiba units do not use ABT deinterlacing.

post #203 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

Denon. But I was pleasantly surprised to find there is a significant improvement in the HDMI audio compared to my 981.

I'm surprised by this comment - pleasantly as well..

guess I'll have to invite a local 983 owner for some A/B'g using multichannel DVD-A and SACD discs..

John
post #204 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Neuro - sent you a PM. Thanks.

post #205 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heads Up: All Pre-orders Will Be Fulfilled This Afternoon

Thank you! My OPPO Order Status page reverted to "Payment Received."

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #206 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Payment Received means that the order has been authorized for shipping (ie. OPPO has your money). Authorized orders will then be processed in the afternoon for shipment.
post #207 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Payment Received means that the order has been authorized for shipping (ie. OPPO has your money). Authorized orders will then be processed in the afternoon for shipment.

Yes, I now have my FEDEX tracking number. Hopefully, all other pre-order customers do, too.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #208 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM

i recieved my fedex tracking number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ANTHEM)

post #209 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM

when can we place orders for the 983 -- the website doesnt accept it at this time.

post #210 of 5594 Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Do the e-mail signup. I hear they have very limited quantity left.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page