Samsung DVD-1080P8? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like this DVD player came out recently...is it a good bet for a basic upconverting DVD player. Will it play all Divx (xvid) files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukitali View Post

Looks like this DVD player came out recently...is it a good bet for a basic upconverting DVD player. Will it play all Divx (xvid) files?

Yes. I had purchased a 1080P7 but found that it would unexpectedly freeze and require unplugging to reset. Not only that but when I "upgraded" (or perhaps downgraded) the firmware, I lost HDMI capability and screen quality control. A real piece of garbage for a Samsung product. I returned it and picked up the 1080P8 which had just arrived. $20 cheaper too.

The freezing problem seems to have been resolved. The power switch is not as bright (I saw a lot of complaints about the brightness), although the standby light has been removed. The display is much more detailed though, with more information than the P7 display. The CD tray is also much sturdier. Seems to be a heavier gauge plastic.

Pleased thus far.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

I saw this new player at the Fred Meyer (large BM store that sells everything) down the street of all places. The face looked really nice and simple. Seems slightly better built then the 1080P7 it replaces but I am sure its all the same on the inside. Curious if it is any real difference over the 1080P7? Looking at the rear section it looked all the same and dimensions are the same. I don't expect anything different but you never know.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-05-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I saw this new player at the Fred Meyer (large BM store that sells everything) down the street of all places. The face looked really nice and simple. Seems slightly better built then the 1080P7 it replaces but I am sure its all the same on the inside. Curious if it is any real difference over the 1080P7? Looking at the rear section it looked all the same and dimensions are the same. I don't expect anything different but you never know.

Unfortunately this had to go back to the store as did the P7. This time the problem was constant skipping. Every once in awhile the word SKIP and the right arrow would appear at the top of the screen, causing the player to jump ahead several minutes. Totally unacceptable. I am kinda surprised that Samsung woul have such poor quality control. I picked up a Toshiba SD-6100 and it seems to have a much better picture at 1080p.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 PM

I'd stay away from this player. Like another poster, I had problems. The player would freeze. Over the first three days I owned it, I had to unplug it 3 times to get it to respond to the remote or power button on the front of the player. This is the last Samsung product I will buy. Piece of garbage.

I exchanged this for a sony.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Just a quick note, I'm also having problems with the 1080P8. Hooked up via HDMI to my Samsung 650 61" DLP, when on the dvd source I lose the signal (completely black screen) at least once a minute, for about 5 seconds at a time.

The HDMI cable works fine when used with my PS3, same tv, same input.

The dvd player works fine with regular AV cables, but the picture suffers drastically of course.

I've purchased $40+ cables, a new HDMI cable and a sete of component cables and a digital audio cable... all for a $79 dvd player. I've yet to try the new HDMI but I'm hoping that at the very least that it works with the component cables and the picture is great.

If anyone has similar problems and possible solutions, please post.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Update, new HDMI cable experiences the same issues. I have it hooked up via component cables and analog audio, guess that will have to do.

I wouldn't buy this player.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-17-2008, 03:35 PM

OH, by the way... IS THERE ANY WAY TO HAVE THE DISPLAY SHOW THE TIME WHEN THE PLAYER IS OFF?!?!?!

Unreal, I can't say I did much research other than going through the very very limited dvd setup menu and a brief skim of the manual, but the "----" on the turned off display is really getting on my nerves!

Can you put the time on this thing or what?
post #9 of 22 Old 08-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian5 View Post

Update, new HDMI cable experiences the same issues. I have it hooked up via component cables and analog audio, guess that will have to do.

I wouldn't buy this player.

Same problem here with signal loss using a new 1080P8.
Returning to the store today.
Don't know if I'll try another or change brands.

BC
post #10 of 22 Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung is not impressive for DVD or BD players.

Huey ;-]
post #11 of 22 Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Crap, i have a customer having the same issues.

Samsung TV, and this DVD PLAYER do not work together via HDMI.

What is the problem?
post #12 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 PM

I just bought this player as a complement to my Samsung 40" TV and I have the same issue, the HDMI will not maintain its "lock" and I get breakups and loss of signal. Really disappointing.

I've tried disabling the anynet and whatnot. The problem occurs even when nothing is playing.

I am going to return this for a Sony I guess. Should have went with my gut in the first place. Too bad.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 AM

I recently bought an 1080P8 and it seems to work great for us.

I've got and 20' HDMI cable hooked up to our projector and haven't had any problems with black screens, missing images, etc.

It's better than a cheap Toshiba that we had.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-15-2008, 10:36 PM

I have the exact same problem as the posters above: this player is incompatible with my Samsung 56" DLP over HDMI, at any resolution. The signal constantly drops and the television struggles to reacquire it. It's unbelievable that this problem exists on two devices from the same manufacturer Amazon reviewers have cited it as a known issue which may or may not be fixed with a firmware update. I'm not going to wait around and find out. It's getting exchanged tomorrow for a sony or pioneer player.
post #15 of 22 Old 11-29-2008, 04:48 PM

I'm also wondering how to set the time when it's turned off... I have dashes, but no numbers??? Anyone? FYI... I've had a couple lock up issues with this player also... But turning it off usually fixes it.. Still working OK after 9 months.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Anyone know how to get this player to output 480p by default? My panny plasma does a much better job of upscaling to 1080p so I only want it to output 480. It's easy to change the output setting in the crappy menu but everytime I turn off the player it defaults back to 1080p. This player sucks btw, should have done some research. If I can just get it to default to 480p I can live with it
post #17 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Just thought I'd add, that I have two of these and have had no problems. They are a bit sluggish, but what does that matter once the movie is going?

You can only expect so much for 80 dollars.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 04:09 AM

Ya. I've had this player for a few months. The reason I bought it was mainly because it has DTS, and 1080p up-converting. (this combo seemed to be hard to find in the under 100 dollar price range)

Overall it works. But it's a little slow starting. The main issue I have is when playing DIVX files, it randomly decides to 'SKIP' ahead several minutes for some reason. This, I assure you, is incredibly annoying.

There is no firmware upgrade that I can see on the sammy site. I'm really bummed out by this problem. I would have exchanged it, but I only started watching divx recently... arghh.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 04:12 AM

also, i have a Sammy 42a450 (42 plasma) and have NOT had any problems with this player and hdmi at all. that area seems to be pretty good.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have one of these players. It was a throw-in when I bought my TV (a Pioneer plasma). I have it connected via HDMI and use it for quickie viewingthat is, when I don't feel like firing up the main rig. Currently it's set to 1080p but I'm going to try setting it to 480p, since the Pioneer's processing is pretty good.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-07-2009, 12:18 PM

I recently bought this dvd player and in 1080p it has a funny line across the bottom of the screen. At any other resolution it is not there. Do you think it is the tv or the dvd player?

post #22 of 22 Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post

I recently bought this dvd player and in 1080p it has a funny line across the bottom of the screen. At any other resolution it is not there. Do you think it is the tv or the dvd player?

Is that perhaps underscan?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page