Denon DVD-5000 Repair/Upgrade/Trash? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon DVD-5000. It does not read DVDs, which I have read is very symptmatic of these players. The question is whether it is worth it to fix? How much will it cost me to repair? Also, I see Denon offers upgrades for cetain models - is it worth it? Will it offer me any video upgrade over my current player (Toshiba SD-5980, admittedly as cheap player). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2008, 04:01 PM

Hi , I have 2 of the old DVD5000 units, they were renowned for optical pickup failures, i still have a brand new spare optical block.

One thing you can try though.......will it still read cd,s but not DVD,s??

If so, the tracking of the optical block might be out of alignment....one of my units failed to read DVD,s, one of the service tech,s was kind enough to provide me with a service manual . You can initiate a tracking adjustment via a service menu, you can then adjust the pickup tracking via a small hex key located under the bottom of the unit through the base plate...

Its been a few years since i did this , but if your interested i can dig out the old service menu and find the directions for you....youve got nothing to loose..

If it will not read CD,s and DVD,s ( NO DISC ) error then it is most likely the laser unit...i actually had one of my other units repaired twice..

As for video quality....The DVD5000 as expensive as it was ( AUD$5000) does not approach even some of the cheapie players that are available now....
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Woofer,

The DVD5000, does read CDs, so if you don't mind pulling out the service manual, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 AM

You will need to sit the unit on a very flat surface so you have access to the pickup adjusting screws on the bottom of the chassis.

To start with turn the unit on without any disc in the tray..

Press ( on front panel) PLAY and OPEN/CLOSE, while holding these buttons press the SKIP FORWARD button, hold this until INITIALIZE falshes on the display.

Power off the unit , Power on the unit.. with NO disc in the tray press
( front panel) PLAY and OPEN/CLOSE , while holding these buttons press "5" on the REMOTE CONTROL..

The display should now read "JIT......" after JIT there will be a value, adjust the tracking screw to try and achieve a value of approx 175-180.

Be VERY CAREFULL when making adjustments, it only takes a VERY SMALL amount of adjustment to effect the values.

Keep trying to adjust the value until the unit will read a DVD.

Once you get it to read a DVD do as follows..

Press ( front panel) PLAY and OPEN/CLOSE , hold these buttons and press the "5" on the REMOTE control...JIT should appear on the display.

As the DVD plays , adjust the JIT till it reaches a value of between 080-088.

Hopefully this should work , it takes a little time to adjust but i have resurrected a few units this way.....if you get out to sequence , just follow the steps to re-Initialize the unit and start again..

Good Luck..
LL
LL
post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Woofer,

Thank you very much for the helpful post. I tried it today and I had a couple of questions:

1. I put it on a flat surface, but could not access the screw underneath, so I had to put three feet in the table and hang one off (kind of unstable) to access. Do you have a better method?

2. I was able to twist the screw, but the JIT number did not change. The only way I could tell it changed was to restart the whole process and then I noticed the JIT changed. Did you have the same experience?

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 12:43 AM

I found the best setup was to place the player on 2 small coffee tables, the tables were sitting side by side a little apart and i sat the palyer with 2 feet on each table so you could access the centre section of the player.

Until you get the player to read a DVD you will have to do as you have been doing....adjust the tracking, reset/initialize and then see if it will read the DVD. Try different DVD,s ...they vary.
Once you can get it to read the DVD , you can adjust the JIT on the fly, as it only takes a few seconds for your adjustments to register.

What is the current JIT value you have now?

Keep trying, it can be frustrating to adjust, but it just takes patience and you will get it.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I am getting JIT values anywhere from 21 to 960. The thing is, the values are not consistent as when I turn one way, the values increase and when I turn the other way, the values increase. I will keep trying. Thank you again.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Woofer,

Will this adjustment repair a picture freezinf problem as well ?

Thanks,

Joe
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)