As far as handling DivX files, are all players the same? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy,

So, I decided to finally take advantage of the USB port on my Philips HTS6500 HTIB by picking up an 8GB flash drive and using it to carry AVI/DivX files over, rather than burning DVDs.

However, my new experience with using a flash drive is coinciding with my first attempts to play HighDef DivX files.

Now, I've already converted the files I'm attempting to play to a DivX 5 profile and they've been brought down to 720x400 resolution with encoding set to the highest quality.

When I attempt to play them from the flash drive, the system recognizes and plays them fine... for a few seconds. But it doesn't take long until it seems that the player is having trouble keeping up with the size/quality of the file. I get stuttering video and audio that will only go away if I pause, only to have it return again moments later after resuming play.

What I'm wondering is... Is what I'm experiencing a symptom of a slow down coming from the flash interface. Or is it this players inability to handle files of this quality?

If it's the player... Are there any other options I should look at?

Thanks guys.

BTW; Can't post links yet, so paste this into your URL box for a spec sheet on my player if needed. p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts6500_37/hts6500_37_pss_aen.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Use HD Tune to test how fast is the read speed of your flash drive. Also check and see if the read speed is steady through the test.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callous View Post

Use HD Tune to test how fast is the read speed of your flash drive. Also check and see if the read speed is steady through the test.

Negative. It's not Mac compatible.

Though I will say that copying a 1GB~ file from my flash drive to my computer doesn't take that long. So read speed can't be that slow.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-07-2008, 12:00 AM

How long in seconds to copy a 1 gig file from flash to computer?

The other possibility is that your divx file is encoded with: GMC, or Packed Bitrates.

The former most playerse dont like it at all and will stutter, and the latter can be removed from the divx file without encoding.

Also, upgrade the firmware on divx machine.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The USB on the HTS unit may only be USB 1.1 and not 2.0 which can cause the stuttering. Try using a lower bitrate and see. Does the player play DIVX on CD-R or DVD-R? Try that same file on a disc. If it plays fine on a disc, then the USB port can't handle the higher bitrates.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page