Pioneer DV-410V Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 508 Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Since the Pioneer DV-410V is on the market, I thought I'd start an Owner's Thread for this unit. I'm still waiting on UPS for mine, but I'll try to gather some good info for this first post:

Product announcement on fosfor gadgets

Pioneer product page

Product Brochure

Owner's Manual

Pioneer DV-410V FAQ

Firmware upgrade (unofficial)

Pioneer DV-400V Owner's Thread

Specifications:

VIDEO FEATURES
Dual-Layer DVD-R*/DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW**/DVD+R/DVD+RW Compatible
SVCD/VCD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
HDMI Terminal for Digital Audio/Video Out
HDMI Upscaling (to View on 1080p)
WMV (Windows Media® Video) Compatible
Official DivX® Certified Product
Compatible with All Versions of DivX® Video (including DivX® 6) with Standard Playback of DivX® Media Files
108 MHz/12-bit Video DAC
PureCinema 2:3 Progressive Scan
I/P Simultaneous Output
USB Input for Compressed Video (DivX/WMV) and JPEG
HD JPEG Playback
JPEG PhotoViewer*** (Fujicolor CD)
Video Adjust Function with Sharpness/Brightness/Contrast/Gamma/Hue/Chroma Level Control
Zoom Function

AUDIO FEATURES
96 kHz/24-bit Audio DAC
USB Input for Compressed Music Playback
WMA (Windows Media® Audio)/MP3/MPEG-4 AAC**** Compressed Music Playback Compatible
DTS® 2-Channel Decoding
Dolby® Digital Output
Dialogue Enhancer
Virtual Surround
Sound Equalizer (Rock/Pop/Live/Dance/Techno/Classic/Soft)

CONVENIENCE FEATURES
Photo + Music Mix (JPEG Slideshow with Music)
Advanced GUI
Disc Navigator for Easy Browsing
Last (Position) Memory: 5 DVD Discs/1 VCD Disc
Resume Function
Screen Saver
Auto Power Off

TERMINALS
1 HDMI Terminal
1 USB Input
1 Coaxial Digital Output
1 S-Video Output
1 Audio/1 Video Output
Component Video Output (DVD, Video CD)

DIMENSIONS
W x H x D: 16-9/16 x 1-15/16 x 8-7/16 inches (420 x 49.5 x 215 mm)
Weight: 4 lbs. 3 oz. (1.9 kg)
Power Requirements: AC 120 V/60 Hz
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 508 Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

From this thread, it appears that the main differences between the 400V and 410V are the front panel layout and the ability to view JPEGs in high resolution on the 410V.
post #3 of 508 Old 06-13-2008, 02:49 PM

OSU, Oklahoma State University or Ohio State University.

I'm the Wireless Network guy for Oklahoma State University. Maybe I've seen ya around.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Fear and Loathing
post #4 of 508 Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM

Liked: 14
or oregon state university.
post #5 of 508 Old 06-13-2008, 03:05 PM

Hah, you're right! So many "O's"

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Fear and Loathing
post #6 of 508 Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got one in today. Going to give it to my dad for father's day. For under $90 shipped, it's a nice machine. Nice picture. I would say it's on par with my A2.

It's tiny.
post #7 of 508 Old 06-13-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ohio State University
post #8 of 508 Old 06-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Received my 410 today.

It definitely feels like a higher-end piece of equipment than my 400. And I love the new remote. Minimalist, rugged and straight forward...

I've already updated to the new/hacked firmware linked to above and this player is now that much more useful.

On the PQ; It's been a month or two since I dumped by 400, but from memory the 410 definitely seems to provide a sharper image.

It's definitely not USB 2 for those who are wondering as evidenced by how long it takes to queue up a 1GB avi file.
post #9 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 01:33 AM

Okay got my 410 today as well.
My biggest concern was being able to play audio cds through RCA while HDMI was hooked up. I can confirm that audio goes out RCA no matter what digital connection you use. So I can have HDMI to the tv.. play normal dvds with audio to the tv and have RCA hooked up to my receiver and still get audio. So tv does not have to be on to play audio cds, but I can also turn the receiver on if I want extra sound on my movies. It would appear it always sends through RCA and whatever digital source you choose.

Also picture on this is AWESOME. My old toshiba is 10 years old so it may just be advances in technology. But for a sub 70 player this thing is incredible. I will be keeping this unit.
post #10 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Like my 410 as well. Wish the thing would have been on sale at Pioneer when I did as its under 70 dollars. But I didn' tpay too much. Just always nice to catch a break....

The firmware link and the 3rd party firmware.....

Not sure if this is right place to ask but why 1250/1252....? Different language packs in them?

Jim

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #11 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPC View Post

Received my 410 today.....I've already updated to the new/hacked firmware linked to above and this player is now that much more useful.

How does one apply that update? Does it give longer file name display from MP3 files from a memory stick through the USB port? I can only see the names of the artist and almost none of the song titles, with the way my MP3s are named, making it pretty hard to select individual songs. Also I can't seem to play MP3s that I bought and downloaded from Amazon that are supposed to be DRM free. Pioneer player says "Cannot Play This Format" even though they are MP3 files. Windows Media Player plays those fine. Odd.
post #12 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Well, first off; You really should use iTunes and let it tag/arrange your MP3s. It does it in the most intelligent way I have seen. If you have an aversion to using iTunes as your jukebox for some reason (I'd be baffled) it'd still be worth it to go ahead and use it once for tagging and arranging.

Instructions for applying the new firmware are on the same site. You'll need a CD as you can't do it from the USB drive.

With the new firmware, the player displays the full file name to a point. Longer than is standard but not an infinite number of characters. With longer file names there seems to be an issue, for me anyways, of 'ghost names' where a fragment of a long file name continues to appear on the screen even as I scroll past it.

Hopefully a subsequent firmware release will address this.
post #13 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 12:53 PM

Make sure you read the disclaimer that says using this firmware voids your warranty.
post #14 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 01:45 PM

I really wonder how Pioneer would know that a firmware was ever flashed as long as you flashed back to the factory firmware before sending the unit in for any reason...

I suspect that claims of warranty voiding acts like that are designed more to discourage than anything else. I call bluff when it comes to actually detecting such modifications.
post #15 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replys and the warning too.

Any idea why it won't play the MP3s I downloaded from Amazon? I will check out iTunes. Haven't messed with MP3s much other than converting a lot of personal CDs and LP tracks to put on the computer for convenience. So I thought I would copy a bunch of those to a USB mem stick, lo and behold not all MP3s will play.
post #16 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 03:28 PM

Hmmm... If as you said the Amazon tracks are DRM free and standard MP3 files, I see no reason why the player should object to playing them.
post #17 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I copied those MP3s from Amazon to an old Win98 machine with an old copy of RealJukebox 7 on it, "saved" as an MP3 file (MP3 to MP3) then copied back to the XP machine with a USB port, loaded on the mem stick and to the Pioneer, and those copies play fine! So I found a workaround for those Amazon-bought MP3 files at least.
post #18 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For those of you who bought the DV-410 directly from Pioneer, and have received it, how was the packaging? Was it double-boxed? I'm just curious as I ordered a DV-410 last Monday and, living on the east coast, it isn't scheduled for delivery until Wed, the 18th.
post #19 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post

For those of you who bought the DV-410 directly from Pioneer, and have received it, how was the packaging? Was it double-boxed?

Nope just the box it comes in with a label slapped on it.

Mine was scheduled for Monday 6-16, but it showed up on Friday.
post #20 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm... If as you said the Amazon tracks are DRM free and standard MP3 files, I see no reason why the player should object to playing them.

That's what Amazon says...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200143320
post #21 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 06:55 PM

same.. just a box like if you went to a store and got it. However, lots of styrofoam protection.
post #22 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 07:24 PM

Lots? Hardly any. Corner guards is the extend of the styrofoam.
post #23 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Shouldn't be any problem as long as it isn't crushed or ripped open. The box and packing should be plenty sufficient. Not much mass either. I bought a receiver direct from Pioneer in '04 and it was shipped single box too, so they've apparently done it that way a while.
post #24 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM

It's not sufficient. UPS did a number on my first 400 and if the protection had been sufficient it probably would have survived.
post #25 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I figure if UPS was damaging very many and having to eat the replacement cost, they would require Pioneer to improve their shipping cartons and packing. Only thing with mine I know of that UPS almost screwed up, I happened to see the UPS truck pull up and stop in front of the next door neighbors house yesterday, guy got out, put s box on the neighbor's front porch, got in his truck drove about 70 ft and stopped in front of my house, jumped out ran over got MY player and put it on the right porch! I wasn't expecting it till Monday so I didn't give it much thought at first. I guess he didn't see the big 8" tall numbers on the front of my house at first and was just guessing? At least he didn't drop it!
post #26 of 508 Old 06-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

I figure if UPS was damaging very many and having to eat the replacement cost, they would require Pioneer to improve their shipping cartons and packing.

Let me put it this way; I work in the parcel industry. And if somebody filed an insurance claim on a damaged package that was shipped from an individual and only had the amount of padding that Pioneer is using, it would result in an insurance claim denial.

Whether or not the packaging is sufficient for most shipments is only half the story. Most higher-end electronics manufacturers ship things double boxed. I love the player, but shipping the player in the retail box with that little styrofoam is something I'd expect from Coby.

Seriously though; I'm not trying to derail the thread. Just trying to make a point. I hope they don't ship their Elite player like this.
post #27 of 508 Old 06-15-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me put it this way; I work in the parcel industry. And if somebody filed an insurance claim on a damaged package that was shipped from an individual and only had the amount of padding that Pioneer is using, it would result in an insurance claim denial.

Whether or not the packaging is sufficient for most shipments is only half the story. Most higher-end electronics manufacturers ship things double boxed. I love the player, but shipping the player in the retail box with that little styrofoam is something I'd expect from Coby.

Seriously though; I'm not trying to derail the thread. Just trying to make a point. I hope they don't ship their Elite player like this.

Well it was packed better than some things I've seen. The idea is to suspend the player in the box so the box will absorb impact, not the player. Zero to keep it from getting crushed in the middle though. At least it wasn't set in a box, and crumpled newspapers put on top.

I have been on the shippers end of UPS claims and they do scrutinize the packing if there's a damage claim. Having some past knowlwedge of how Pioneer in particular ships things in the retail box, since I worked for U.S.Pioneer for 5 years, from 1977 til 1982 when they had a distribution and service center in Irving TX, that's how they've always done it. Even the old high end 'Series 20' line that became the Elite series, thay shipped it all the same. Never in a double box.
post #28 of 508 Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm trying to order this player on Pioneer's website using 30% discount code: 11WHSB6B5H that I thought was good thru today but it is not accepting the code? Is this the correct code?

Thank you.
post #29 of 508 Old 06-16-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the same code I used a week ago and it worked. (THANKS BTW!) Might try calling Pioneer about it.
post #30 of 508 Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I called Pioneer and they honored the code, said today was the last day for it.

Thank you.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)