Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 198 Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I posted this a year ago. Does anyone know the answer or if the DV-49 has the same fault?

When I first got the unit I tested out a bunch of SACD's (Jacintha's-Grove Note, RCA Living Stereo's, Boston, Nat King Cole, Stones Single Collection & a few assorted 5.0 DSD classical labels, etc) having the unit convert it to PCM instead of the receiver. The only problem I had was that I would sometimes miss the first second of the opening song & I would have to reverse back, but this happens on all my hirez discs weather the DVD-49 or the Pioneer Elite 01 converted it or not. This is thru HDMI, not the old way with 6 RCA cables. Hope I was able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 198 Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMonaco View Post

When I first got the unit I tested out a bunch of SACD's (Jacintha's-Grove Note, RCA Living Stereo's, Boston, Nat King Cole, Stones Single Collection & a few assorted 5.0 DSD classical labels, etc) having the unit convert it to PCM instead of the receiver. The only problem I had was that I would sometimes miss the first second of the opening song & I would have to reverse back, but this happens on all my hirez discs weather the DVD-49 or the Pioneer Elite 01 converted it or not. This is thru HDMI, not the old way with 6 RCA cables. Hope I was able to help.

Thanks. That's certainly better than I got with the old DV-58 I had. Unfortunately, I do not recall if I tested it with PCM or DSD out. If memory serves, it was DSD.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #93 of 198 Old 06-18-2009, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm a bit confused by something.

I just purchased the DV-610AV off eBay, and I love it so far.

It was advertised as "region free" but the Firmware says "Region 1" (YJG8918A)

I downloaded the firmware from the earlier post and burned a CD-R with volume label "PIONEER" with renamed the YJF binary to YJG- the player said it could not play the disc (CD)?

Re-reading the thread, can I use the other, region-free firmware, with the completely different file name? If so, do I just change the "F" to "G" in the filename, or do I change the entire filename?
post #94 of 198 Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

a seeming bug (on a DV-610AV, fwiw)

If I power the unit down with an SACD in the drive, then power the unit up. it recognizes the disc in the drive (displays "SACD") but doesn't let me "Play" it. I have to Open/Close the tray.
post #95 of 198 Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 28
cjv...

You are posting in a thread for the 49, not the 610. I suggest you make a new thread or post in the 610 thread. Based on what you have posted it seems either the unit already has an issue, ebay after all, or you are not doing the firmware update correctly. If you are using the 610 firmware from hkan's web site for a 610 you don't change anything in the naming of the firmware.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #96 of 198 Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

cjv...

You are posting in a thread for the 49, not the 610. I suggest you make a new thread or post in the 610 thread. Based on what you have posted it seems either the unit already has an issue, ebay after all, or you are not doing the firmware update correctly. If you are using the 610 firmware from hkan's web site for a 610 you don't change anything in the naming of the firmware.

Apparently, the Region 3 610 models' firmware starts with YJG, not YJC. I think some of these threads need to be renaimed because many Pioneer players nowadays have multiple names!
post #97 of 198 Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Once Hkan's enhanced firmware has been installed, check your firmware again. Does it say YJF8919A or YJC8919A? If it says YJF8919A, that would mean all future firmware installations would require you to change YJC????.BIN to YJF????.BIN. However, if it says YJC8919A, that would mean that the factory-loaded firmware had the player trained to only recognize YJF????.BIN upgrade files. However, once Hkan's firmware has been successfully installed, that would mean there must be something written within that BIN file that retrains the player to only recognize YJC????.BIN firmware upgrade files.
post #98 of 198 Old 06-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 1st and 3rd letter in the file name must be the same as the one you have installed in your player! The rest can be anything.
Offcourse this could be diffrent from firmware to firmware, but this is the case for Pioneers firmwares!
This is set inside the firmware file! Also the disc ID is set inside the firmware file.
Otherwise the player would not recognise the update disc!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
post #99 of 198 Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

The 1st and 3rd letter in the file name must be the same as the one you have installed in your player! The rest can be anything.
Offcourse this could be diffrent from firmware to firmware, but this is the case for Pioneers firmwares!
This is set inside the firmware file! Also the disc ID is set inside the firmware file.
Otherwise the player would not recognise the update disc!

If the player was loaded with YJF firmware at the factory, in order to load European firmware on it, the YJC?????.BIN file must be renamed to YJF?????.BIN in order for the player to recognize the update disc. Once the renamed European file has been recognized and installed, will that train the player to recognize only YJC?????.BIN files?
post #100 of 198 Old 06-21-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Do these players bitsream DTS (as encoded in .wav files) over HDMI?

I just made a DTS-CD, and the Pioneer recognizes this as a "DTS CD"- indeed, music plays.

But via HDMI (my only connection to my AVR), my AVR (Denon 3808CI) only recognizes 2-channel audio as coming from the DTS-CD, even though the AVR immediately recognizes "Multi-Ch In" when I play a DVD-A or SACD over the same setup.
post #101 of 198 Old 06-21-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

You may have DTS down-mixing set to PCM within the player. Goto initial settings>Digital Audio Out>HDMI Out and set it to off temporarily so you can make the following changes. Without setting it to off, the items you need to select will be greyed out.

Now go to DTS Out as well as DD Out and set them to DTS and DD......NOT to DTS>PCM and NOT to DD>PCM.

Go back and turn on HDMI Out to Auto or Auto (DSD).

Hey, got it, inadvertently! I already had checked and done that before, but it turns out what it needs (curiously) is for Digital Output to be "On"- I had it "Off".
post #102 of 198 Old 07-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

Once Hkan's enhanced firmware has been installed, check your firmware again. Does it say YJF8919A or YJC8919A? If it says YJF8919A, that would mean all future firmware installations would require you to change YJC????.BIN to YJF????.BIN. However, if it says YJC8919A, that would mean that the factory-loaded firmware had the player trained to only recognize YJF????.BIN upgrade files. However, once Hkan's firmware has been successfully installed, that would mean there must be something written within that BIN file that retrains the player to only recognize YJC????.BIN firmware upgrade files.

I know how all firmwares must be installed depending on the situation. However, has anybody checked their DV-49AV's firmware once Hkan's has been installed on it? Does it say YJF8919A or YJC8919A? Thanks.
post #103 of 198 Old 07-03-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

ROM: YJC8919A.2.0 by StM (2009-05-02)....even though the name was changed to YJF for the flash.

Keep in mind you'll lose the HDMI resolution and HDMI color button functions on the remote. These buttons do not exist on the 610 remote.

The HDMI resolution button can be an issue if you have a display not capable of 1080 lines. There is a work around for this. See page 16 of the manual to reset the HDMI resolution to 480P.

I have a 22" Samsung HDCP monitor capable of 1680 x 1050. When I hooked up the 49AV that was set to 1080P, the result was no display. There was no way to change the resolution since the remote function was lost. I had to use the instructions on page 16 to reset the resolution to 480P. After that I could access the software menu and set the resolution to 720P. Don't understand why Pioneer can't put a HDMI resolution button on the front panel like the Denon I had or the Onkyo I will soon be receiving.

I don't have an exact link, but at Pioneer's USA site, there are IR codes for the DV-46AV, which I believe would be the same for the DV-49AV. If there are dimmer and HDMI resolution and color buttons on that player, maybe Hkan can add support for those functions in STM 2.1 or something like that. As far as the YJC/YJF stuff: It turns out that you only have to rename one of the files found at Hkan's site. It looks like the player has been trained at the factory to recognize YJF?????.BIN firmware files. However, even though you renamed YJC8919A.BIN to YJF8919A.BIN, there is something in the 610 firmware that now has trained the 49 to think it's a 610. Get my drift? In post 31, I said you need to rename both YJC8919A.BIN files. I was obviously very wrong on that one! You just need to rename one. I appreciate this heads-up. It definitly would be a good idea to burn these firmwares on CDRWs, unless you have a huge spindle of CDRs. Another thing: For those of you worried about the Pioneer warranty, because the player only recognizes YJC firmware now, I don't think Pioneer will honor the warranty. Because this isn't a high-end player, I'm not too concerned about that.
post #104 of 198 Old 07-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:

I knew you brought that up before and wasn't going to inquire about it until the next Hakan release (if there is one). The question:

Now that the player is YJC, will the next flash have to be YJC or YJF?

It's a shame Pioneer won't offer the stock 49 firmware for download, however, the features picked up with Hakan FW make the remote issue a non-issue especially since those affected features can be accessed through the GUI or by the page 16 reset if need be.

The Hakan audio enhancements treble, bass, super-bass has make the 49 and 610 kick-ass transports to my Little Dot I+ hybrid-tube headphone amplifier. My Grados never sounded so good, beautiful clarity!

Nice thinking on integrating the 46 remote codes.

Mind-blowing is that Elite owners pick up an HDMI button on the remote, yet the 610 owner must perform the page 16 trick. That is the only feature the Elite offers over the 610 for nearly $50-100 more

Your 49 now thinks it's a 610 and will now only recognize YJC8919A.BIN files. Bass, treble, and superbass? Nice! Because of the DV-58AV's high-end audio section, I wish Hkan would get a DV-800AV/LX50/58AV so he can make an StM firmware for it! No offence, gpjnevada, but the 58AV players are going for $360 at Vanns. If you hadn't gotten so many players so quickly, you might have been able to get one!
post #105 of 198 Old 07-04-2009, 06:28 AM

I considered the Onkyo. It's pros are pure DSD via analog and Dolby ProLogic and ProLogic II via analog, as well as 176.4KHz DSD-to-PCM conversion via HDMI. Its cons are you can only adjust brightness, sharpness, and black level. You can't adjust contrast, gamma, tint, and color level. Also, you can't install Hkan's firmware on it to make it multi-system and add the disabling/overriding of PUOs, DVD fast start, bass, treble, and bass boost.
post #106 of 198 Old 07-05-2009, 06:15 AM

I know some of you are having difficulty finding this player brand new, directly from authorized Pioneer dealers. Believe it or not, you can get them directly from http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/...e-dv-49av.html, http://www.abt.com/product/37455.html, and http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search.
post #107 of 198 Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM

I've heard that when you install Hkan's 610 firmware on a 49, you lose the dimmer, HDMI color, and HDMI resolution buttons on the 49's remote. Do you lose the SUBTITLE button as well? Someone claimed you lose that one when you install Hkan's 600 firmware on a 48.
post #108 of 198 Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:

the dimmer and subtitle buttons work fine on 49 remote. You need to use CP1252....StM v2.0.

I forgot. Hkan said he added the dimmer function. I guess he got it from Pioneer USA's DV-46AV IR codes in PDF format. It would be cool if he could add the IR codes for the HDMI color and HDMI resolution functions as well. Yet if he can't it wouldn't bother me.
post #109 of 198 Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks Valjean for your instruction, and thank you Hkan for your firmware (enjoy ur beer from ana ).
I got mine 49av as a floor model. I have a lot of region 2 movies, so i was looking to buy a hackable dvd.
Mine was showing firmware YJF8901A, and i've uploaded v2.0 by StM.
post #110 of 198 Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM

Hi

iam from india, yesterday i got DV-610AV-S

iam intrested to load Modded firmware as mentioned in the forum

iam refering to Post 87 here

--------------
Originally Posted by gpjnevada
Okay, I ended up purchasing a DV-610 AV from Buy.com for $99 shipped. Comparing it to my $194 DV-49AV, these units are identical on the inside and out except for the labeling and power plug into the units. See photos here:

49 top/610 bottom
Front
Back

DV-49AV firmware was YJF8716A Region 1
DV-610AV firmware was YJG8919A Region 3

I flashed the Hakan firmware (YJC8919A, CP1252, V 2.0) into both players with success. The Hakan firmware was renamed from YJC to YJF for the 49 and from YJC to YJG for the 610. When burning a cd it is necessary to type in the volume label "PIONEER" (no quotes) or else the disc won't read. I learned the hard way with a couple of coasters

The units perform very well after the flash, the only function lost was the HDMI button on the 49AV remote, but I knew that would happen before flashing. The HDMI function is accessible through the on-screen menu so not an issue.

If you can find a 610 I highly recommend it, I actually like the silver player better than the Elite. And, please buy Hakan a beer if you use the firmware for the incredible effort! Thanks Hakan!
-----------

when i check my Firmware it shows

REGION 3
YJG8919A ( so i belive it has latest firmware dated 2008-sep-19)

DV-49AV is the same as the DV-610AV ( is the equal to DV-610AV-S)

So i can download this firmware (YJC8919A, CP1252, V 2.0)

and rename YJC tp YJG and burn the CD and proceed to upgrade.

Can i upgrade above firmware with my DV-619AV-S

If its going everything smooth Fine with out any problems.

If problems not able to upgrade properly or fails.

how can i retrive back my orginal firmware. kindly suggest me the link to retrive back to my orginal setup.

Thanks .. await for your suggestions to Modd my box

at the bottom.. where can i see modded firmware features compare to factory firmware.

Ram
post #111 of 198 Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramindia View Post

Hi

iam from india, yesterday i got DV-610AV-S

iam intrested to load Modded firmware as mentioned in the forum

iam refering to Post 87 here

--------------
Originally Posted by gpjnevada
Okay, I ended up purchasing a DV-610 AV from Buy.com for $99 shipped. Comparing it to my $194 DV-49AV, these units are identical on the inside and out except for the labeling and power plug into the units. See photos here:

49 top/610 bottom
Front
Back

DV-49AV firmware was YJF8716A Region 1
DV-610AV firmware was YJG8919A Region 3

I flashed the Hakan firmware (YJC8919A, CP1252, V 2.0) into both players with success. The Hakan firmware was renamed from YJC to YJF for the 49 and from YJC to YJG for the 610. When burning a cd it is necessary to type in the volume label "PIONEER" (no quotes) or else the disc won't read. I learned the hard way with a couple of coasters

The units perform very well after the flash, the only function lost was the HDMI button on the 49AV remote, but I knew that would happen before flashing. The HDMI function is accessible through the on-screen menu so not an issue.

If you can find a 610 I highly recommend it, I actually like the silver player better than the Elite. And, please buy Hakan a beer if you use the firmware for the incredible effort! Thanks Hakan!
-----------

when i check my Firmware it shows

REGION 3
YJG8919A ( so i belive it has latest firmware dated 2008-sep-19)

DV-49AV is the same as the DV-610AV ( is the equal to DV-610AV-S)

So i can download this firmware (YJC8919A, CP1252, V 2.0)

and rename YJC tp YJG and burn the CD and proceed to upgrade.

Can i upgrade above firmware with my DV-619AV-S

If its going everything smooth Fine with out any problems.

If problems not able to upgrade properly or fails.

how can i retrive back my orginal firmware. kindly suggest me the link to retrive back to my orginal setup.

Thanks .. await for your suggestions to Modd my box

at the bottom.. where can i see modded firmware features compare to factory firmware.

Ram

Click here for the factory firmware. Click here for Hakan's modified firmware. Just go ahead and install Hakan's firmware. Change YJC8919A to YJG8919A. If you decide that you want to go back to the factory firmware after this, you don't need to change the name anymore. You can just go back to the factory version of YJC8919A if you want to. In fact, if you want to compare the original and factory firmwares, you can switch back and forth as many times as you want. Good luck!
post #112 of 198 Old 09-18-2009, 08:47 AM

Click here for the factory firmware. Click here for Hakan's modified firmware. Just go ahead and install Hakan's firmware. Change YJC8919A to YJG8919A. If you decide that you want to go back to the factory firmware after this, you don't need to change the name anymore. You can just go back to the factory version of YJC8919A if you want to. In fact, if you want to compare the original and factory firmwares, you can switch back and forth as many times as you want. Good luck!

thanks for quick reply

just few clairifications

I have downloaded the factory and modded firmware

i have changed Modded Firmware from

YJC8919A.BIN to YJG8919A.BIN

and burn the CD to update my Pioneer DV-610AV-S

Once i upgrade, so i can see new version.

If i want to go back to old setup

I need to burn the Orginal and update the Box to go back to

i need to burn orginal YJG8919A.bin to CD and update the process as i did before.

In this process i dont loose anything right ?

appriciate your help

Ram
post #113 of 198 Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:

thanks for quick reply

just few clairifications

I have downloaded the factory and modded firmware

i have changed Modded Firmware from

YJC8919A.BIN to YJG8919A.BIN

and burn the CD to update my Pioneer DV-610AV-S

Once i upgrade, so i can see new version.

If i want to go back to old setup

I need to burn the Orginal and update the Box to go back to

i need to burn orginal YJG8919A.bin to CD and update the process as i did before.

In this process i dont loose anything right ?

appriciate your help

Ram

If you want to go back to the factory firmware, you don't need to change the factory firmware's name. Just burn a disc with the factory YJC8919A.BIN file on it.
post #114 of 198 Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM

Hi

cool i have upgraded the firmware

its rocks with the logo nicely done

but iam not able to play just writed AVI Files..why ?

Ram
post #115 of 198 Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 AM

Hi

the file was corrupted
now i can view AVI files also

but i see some problem

when i pause the movie after some time i want to retrive from there
its not able to retrive from that point..

how can i set the option.

before if i forwarding i can see 1-2-3-4 kind of options

now i dont see its simple says scan and forwarding

Ram
post #116 of 198 Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Hi

the file was corrupted
now i can view AVI files also

but i see some problem

when i pause the movie after some time i want to retrive from there
its not able to retrive from that point..

how can i set the option.

before if i forwarding i can see 1-2-3-4 kind of options

now i dont see its simple says scan and forwarding

Ram

I'm not into DivX and AVI, but I believe the disc resume feature only applies to DVD movie playback. Sorry.
post #117 of 198 Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

One of my Yamaha DVD changers broke. So it's time for me to get a new player. I'm going to get a DV-49AV. Can someone with the nerve who hasn't installed YJC8919A.BIN extract the YJF8901A.BIN firmware from it and e-mail it to support@pioneerfaq.info so that Hakan can post it, as well as modify it. Click here for the procedure. Thanks, guys. You're the best!
post #118 of 198 Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM

I have one shipping today (should be here Weds), but honestly, that procedure is beyond me. Sorry.
post #119 of 198 Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffredo View Post

I have one shipping today (should be here Weds), but honestly, that procedure is beyond me. Sorry.

My sight condition prohibits me from doing this procedure. I know very few people are willing to try this. I just thought that maybe someone with the nerve might have everything they need to do this. If you decide to install Hakan's YJC8919A firmware and you lose your HDMI control buttons, pioneerfaq.info also has the original DV-48AV firmware. If you install that on your 49, the only thing you'll lose is CD-to-USB recording. Also, I'm hoping that Hakan will make a CP1252 StM enhanced version based on that. Believe it or not, I think the analog video on this player will be really good if it uses the MediaTek MT1389's built-in 12-bit 108-MHz video DAC.
post #120 of 198 Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

There's this Russian site www.getmanual.com who sells firmware for Pioneer US models for $5.00. They still don't sell the latest firmware for the DV-49AV. It would be cool if we can convince them. Then we could send it to Hakan at support@pioneerfaq.info. He could then modify it for us and test it on his 610. If you would like to see www.getmanual.com start selling this firmware, just click here and tell 'em!
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page