XD-E500 Owners thread. - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 1830 Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sometimes it's spectacular if you don't look to close to the scenery. Sometimes it doesn't play anything correct, chapter skipping and macroblocking. I had guest over and we watched Valkyrie by the end many send it was worth the Highend Denon, surprise surpris, it was the Toshiba XDE. I'd have to say with the right disc it gives the expensive Denon a cold sweat and perhaps outperforms it. The next XDE will be the killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1830 Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD-5 View Post

In the Cnet review, they could see no difference using 1080p/24:

"We also took a look at the XD-E500's 1080p output at 24 frames per second, also commonly referred to as 1080p/24. The idea behind 1080p/24 is that by outputting at film's native rate of 24 frames, you can avoid some of the judder that occurs from 2:3 pull-down processing--although the idea makes more sense with Blu-ray Discs which are natively encoded at 24 frames per second, than with DVDs, which are encoded at 30 frames per second. In our tests, we didn't see any benefit from enabling 1080p/24 mode, and we looked closely at panning sequences on both Star Trek: Insurrection and Serenity.

We enabled the appropriate modes on the TVs we used for the test--48Hz and 72Hz modes for the Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas, dejudder off for the 120Hz Samsung LCD--but couldn't detect any difference between those and the standard 60Hz TVs."

That's too bad, as I have a lot of DVDs that will probably never appear on blu-ray, and I thought this could be a great feature.

Can anyone confirm Cnet's findings on this feature?

Some people claim to be "sensitive" to 3:2 jutter. However, prior to 1080p24 output we were watching 60hz video for a long time and enjoying it. I switch between 1080p24 and 1080p60 output for SD-DVDs and wouldn't know what I was watching except for knowing what resolution I set. And since film is 24fps, panning a camera too fast can cause jutter that you can not get rid of - it's in the movie. For me, it's the least required feature I would want if choosing between good deinterlacing, scaling, color decoding (in display) etc.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #1803 of 1830 Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD-5 View Post

In the Cnet review, they could see no difference using 1080p/24:

"We also took a look at the XD-E500's 1080p output at 24 frames per second, also commonly referred to as 1080p/24. The idea behind 1080p/24 is that by outputting at film's native rate of 24 frames, you can avoid some of the judder that occurs from 2:3 pull-down processing--although the idea makes more sense with Blu-ray Discs which are natively encoded at 24 frames per second, than with DVDs, which are encoded at 30 frames per second. In our tests, we didn't see any benefit from enabling 1080p/24 mode, and we looked closely at panning sequences on both Star Trek: Insurrection and Serenity.

We enabled the appropriate modes on the TVs we used for the test--48Hz and 72Hz modes for the Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas, dejudder off for the 120Hz Samsung LCD--but couldn't detect any difference between those and the standard 60Hz TVs."

That's too bad, as I have a lot of DVDs that will probably never appear on blu-ray, and I thought this could be a great feature.

Can anyone confirm Cnet's findings on this feature?

I can't. I use and love the XDE features although it took me a while to find the right combination of the XDE features that worked for me. (some like sharponess, others color others contrast)

I re-raed the CNET review and discovered that they turned off all of the exclusive XDE features (as they determined them to be easily recreatable from your tv's internal settings) before testing between the 1080p vs. 1080p/24.

I have the XDE features that work for me always on because my tv does NOT have the ability to recreate internally what the XDE does for sharpness and contrast. Turning them off and trying to run my own 1080p and 1080p/24 test did not work because the picture was so degraded that I coulnd't tell any difference. That being said I turned the XDE features back on and was able to see a small amount of difference between the two settings, not in the picture quality itself but in the "smoothness" of the scenes esecially where there was a lot of panning taking place. The amount is small but because the XDE allows you to switch between the 1080p and the 1080p/24 "on the fly" you can see what it does on your set or the set you are thinking of purchasing. When I bought mine the tv salesman allowed me to actually hook up the XDE to the tv before I bought it.

Finally as an aside, I was a bit miffed at CNET the more I read the article. They compared ths dvd played to an Oppo which they liked. (and I believe it is a good dvd player as meny AVS members rave about it) That being said I feel it was unfair for CNET to turn off all of the features that make the XDE the XDE before comparing it to the OPPO. While I understand that they have the right to determine that the XDE features should be turned off because they can be recreated by your tv's internal settings (I don't think that to be true in many sets, including mine) by doing so they have created an unequal test between players.

Finally, the XDE is the only reasonably priced DVD player that has 1080p/24. If you need this feature (and maby you will as the newer tv's may want the dvd player to perform this function) why not have it. Chack it out for yoursel...
post #1804 of 1830 Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

I agree the benefits of 24p can be subtle at times. I also think that below 50" the advantages are somewhat debatable. Yes, fast camera pans can exhibit "stutter" even in their native mode but its also a lot less noticeable due to the speed. I also think interlaced displays tend to mask the effects of judder so its much less obvious than when viewed on a 30/60fps progressive display.

However judder is very real. Its most obvious on medium to low speed pans on larger screens. Anyone with a projector knows exactly what I'm talking about. Using any 30/60 progressive rate creates a very distracting uneven movement in panning shots, e.g. "judder". Again, this has nothing to do with the source and everything to do with how it was processed to be put on a DVD. Once you've seen what 24p can do for shots like this, you never want to go back! Using 24p native, these kinds of wide slow pans are silky smooth! Not even a hint of any irregularity in the scene movement. I found 24p so effective on my large projection screen that I made 24p support for DVD a non-negotiable requirement when looking for a BD player. Luckily the Panasonic BD60 offers this and I must say the 24p mode is far more robust than what the XDE has to offer. The upconversion certainly isn't as "sharp" as the XDE, but its still what I consider "very good" and I don't find it unwatchable even at 104" by any stretch.

I didn't read the review linked above but I will say when it comes to technical expertise for anything non-computer related, CNET is definitely not on my "trusted source" list.
post #1805 of 1830 Old 06-25-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

I agree the benefits of 24p can be subtle at times. I also think that below 50" the advantages are somewhat debatable. Yes, fast camera pans can exhibit "stutter" even in their native mode but its also a lot less noticeable due to the speed. I also think interlaced displays tend to mask the effects of judder so its much less obvious than when viewed on a 30/60fps progressive display.

However judder is very real. Its most obvious on medium to low speed pans on larger screens. Anyone with a projector knows exactly what I'm talking about. Using any 30/60 progressive rate creates a very distracting uneven movement in panning shots, e.g. "judder". Again, this has nothing to do with the source and everything to do with how it was processed to be put on a DVD. Once you've seen what 24p can do for shots like this, you never want to go back! Using 24p native, these kinds of wide slow pans are silky smooth! Not even a hint of any irregularity in the scene movement. I found 24p so effective on my large projection screen that I made 24p support for DVD a non-negotiable requirement when looking for a BD player. Luckily the Panasonic BD60 offers this and I must say the 24p mode is far more robust than what the XDE has to offer. The upconversion certainly isn't as "sharp" as the XDE, but its still what I consider "very good" and I don't find it unwatchable even at 104" by any stretch.

I didn't read the review linked above but I will say when it comes to technical expertise for anything non-computer related, CNET is definitely not on my "trusted source" list.

I too feel that 24p support is non-negotiable and have a feeling that those who are not big fans of itdo not have large enough sets to see the difference. I mysely (at a BB who allowed me to hook up an XDE to a 46 inch 120hz XDE) was unable to tell the difference between the 1080p and the 1080p/24 setting. However I was so impressed with what the unit could do to contrast, color etc. that I bought it anyway. Then I got it home and there definately was a difference. Especially in the smoothness of action scenes. For all those with big screens please consider our two opinions.

I see you are moving up to a blue ray. I have recently noticed how many of them specifically say they have 24p support but they never mention that they are not talking about standard dvd's. You can not look at the box to see if their upconverter for standard dvd's provides 24p support. I understand that a majority of blue ray players do NOT have this feature. Certainly the lower priced ones do not. Do you think that as time goes on they will all have this feature?
post #1806 of 1830 Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Hi my brother just bought a Toshiba XDE dvd player. It is connected via hdmi cable to Sony XSRD projection television, and there is no sound coming out of the tv-speakers. The XDE is set to PCM in the setup. But no sound. What should he do?
post #1807 of 1830 Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 AM

For my TV there are 2 types of HDMI input, one for both video and audio, another one for video only, audio has to be feed in separately.

Just double check your HDMI input is for both audio and video.

Hope that help. Good luck!
post #1808 of 1830 Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 PM

Liked: 11
finally pulled the trigger at 59.99...popped in Gladiator and was very impressed!

Xbox live: Mighty GLI
PS3: Mighty-Gli
post #1809 of 1830 Old 07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

People are raving aboout the $79.00 price as opposed to the hundreds of dollars for an hd-dvd player. (if you could find one) also, if the tv you have has the ability to accept a 24fps signal (and properly display it) the toshiba xd-e500 will output that signal. The hd-dvd has no such ability for standard dvd's. (unless of course toshiba's hd-dvd has a new update i'm not aware of.

It's pretty obvious you don't check your facts about HD DVD players because anyone that has a Toshiba XA2 has been enjoying this "new update" for 1080p/24 for 2 years now.
post #1810 of 1830 Old 07-26-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

It's pretty obvious you don't check your facts about HD DVD players because anyone that has a Toshiba XA2 has been enjoying this "new update" for 1080p/24 for 2 years now.

As has the HD-A35.

There are also several Blu-ray players that will upconvert DVD to 1080p24.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1811 of 1830 Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 PM

my player just died with it saying bad disk or just keeps saying loading all the time. I see where quite a few are having the same problem. I took the top off of mine and the disc was not running at times and other times running slow. It appears the loaders in these units are poorly made to not last very long. I am disappointed as this is the first player i have used that had this problem. My player was not used alot to warrant a failure of this kind. Oh well i guess i should have expected this to happen as it seems there are quite a few problems with this model and i can only wonder about the new 600 that is cheaper made version of this. Beware of cheap player.
post #1812 of 1830 Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 PM

When I set the HMDI output to 480p
AND my Panasonic to 4:3 aspect, it works.
I used the THX Optomiser Video Test on the Incredibles DVD to check 4:3 setup.
Any other HDMI output setting besides 480p streches the picture width.
Also I engaged the HMDI Contol in the setup menu

Also if you are using ANY of the Enchanced picture setting in 1080i or 1080p you MUST turn them off first to go to other HMDI settings like 480p or 720p.

ONLY THE 480p works on my display. 720p and above streches the picture

GOOD LUCK
post #1813 of 1830 Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM

That solves the stretch problem at 480p, but it doesn't let you upconvert to 1080p without stretching, and that it one of the main reasons people bought this player, to use it at 1080p.
post #1814 of 1830 Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM

No you can't upconvert through this player and not stretch the picture.
But all the 16:9 can be upconverted and enchanced to your hearts content.
And now you can watch the skinny Captain Kirk instead of the chubby one and let your tv upconvert.

And, who moved this thread?
What is the problem?
post #1815 of 1830 Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post

Good suggestion, but no success. I ordered it from Amazon and they already have a replacement on the way. Unit is very small and lightweight. Does not appear to be of good quality but then again it does not cost much either.

Fry's has these (new) and is currently blowing them out at unbelievable prices. Understand that if they do not sell out their remaining ones they WILL have them discounted even more on Black Friday. (for those of you interested in playing chicken with remaining inventories) Unfortunately they have decided NOT to sell the XD-e600's.
post #1816 of 1830 Old 11-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer View Post

That solves the stretch problem at 480p, but it doesn't let you upconvert to 1080p without stretching, and that it one of the main reasons people bought this player, to use it at 1080p.

I ran accross a 1990s movie (Zero Effect) that was cut to 4:3 for the DVD (hate that). I set it HDMI res 480p and 4:3 and let the TV (cheap Vizio) do the upconverting to 1080P. While it didn't look as good as the 1080P with "sharp" from the player, it still looked just fine and I really don't come across too many 4:3 movies anyway.

Oh, this was with the XDE-600. I'd still recommend one of the XDE players from Toshiba. For the vast majority of recent movies and TV show DVDs its fine at 16:9 and the Sharp feature gives you about the best IQ you'll get from a DVD player these days (especially for the low price). This is from doing an A:B comparison with a Pioneer DV-49AV and Oppo 980H.
post #1817 of 1830 Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffredo View Post

I ran accross a 1990s movie (Zero Effect) that was cut to 4:3 for the DVD (hate that). I set it HDMI res 480p and 4:3 and let the TV (cheap Vizio) do the upconverting to 1080P. While it didn't look as good as the 1080P with "sharp" from the player, it still looked just fine and I really don't come across too many 4:3 movies anyway.

Oh, this was with the XDE-600. I'd still recommend one of the XDE players from Toshiba. For the vast majority of recent movies and TV show DVDs its fine at 16:9 and the Sharp feature gives you about the best IQ you'll get from a DVD player these days (especially for the low price). This is from doing an A:B comparison with a Pioneer DV-49AV and Oppo 980H.

I think the XDE-600 (and 500) puts out a great picture too. It is my player of choice for DVD. It's just too bad they screwed up the "stretch" thing. With my new JVC LCD TV, I can use the "slim" mode to get the stretched 1.33 picture back to the correct ratio. When using my projector, however, I need to show 1.33 films using my XA-2 HD DVD player for 1080p upconversion via HDMI.
post #1818 of 1830 Old 11-30-2009, 03:31 PM

$34.99 on ebay deal of the day today

Xbox live: Mighty GLI
PS3: Mighty-Gli
post #1819 of 1830 Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

i have a problem with my toshiba XD-E500. it says on the manual if you hit the progressive button it should give you better picture quality if your tv is compatibale. well i have a sony32XBr6 tv im pretty sure its compatibale.

i hit the progressive button while the movie is playing and lost signal. says on tv no signal check the external input or select another input. i read the manual to hit the progressive button many times to reset it and nothing happens. i tried turning it off unpluging it you name it.

the player turns on fine and everything its just that it doesnt send a signal at all to the tv after hitting that button.

also why does the 500 model cost more than the 600 ? http://www.toshibaxde.com/models.html

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #1820 of 1830 Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

i have a problem with my toshiba XD-E500. it says on the manual if you hit the progressive button it should give you better picture quality if your tv is compatibale. well i have a sony32XBr6 tv im pretty sure its compatibale.

i hit the progressive button while the movie is playing and lost signal. says on tv no signal check the external input or select another input. i read the manual to hit the progressive button many times to reset it and nothing happens. i tried turning it off unpluging it you name it.

the player turns on fine and everything its just that it doesnt send a signal at all to the tv after hitting that button.

also why does the 500 model cost more than the 600 ? http://www.toshibaxde.com/models.html

What connection method are you using? If you are using HDMI I believe that progressive is unavailable. I noticed that with my 600 this is the case. It works with Component though.
post #1821 of 1830 Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniChupacabra View Post

What connection method are you using? If you are using HDMI I believe that progressive is unavailable. I noticed that with my 600 this is the case. It works with Component though.

yeah im using HDMI. so the player wont support progressive with HDMI but component yes ? thats weird. and what can i do to reset it ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #1822 of 1830 Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Just to recap...

Is there a fix for the 4:3 stretching? Snow White isn't supposed to be thick.
post #1823 of 1830 Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriel View Post

Just to recap...

Is there a fix for the 4:3 stretching? Snow White isn't supposed to be thick.

The only way you can stop it is set the player to 480p (unless your TV can force a pillar box). Unfortunately that disables the XDE settings, but I'd rather do that than have a stretched picture.
post #1824 of 1830 Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 PM

My player is now flaking out. When I play a DVD, the screen breaks up. If I pause it, the image is clear as a bell, but as soon as the moving images resume, the screen breaks up in a way that would make you think the disc is seriously damaged.

Of course, I've tried this with multiple pristine discs.

Anyone got a fix?
post #1825 of 1830 Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM

I am currently having issues with my XD-E500. For some reason when I watch DVD's every 15min to 10min, sometimes less, the screen goes blank. I am forced to switch off the player and turn it back on, sometimes it doesn't even turn on, and I have to wait a long while before I can turn it on again.

And when it turns on before the welcome screen, I get a blurred Blue & black waves like it can't locate the signal or something. I've tried every single HDMI cable I have, I tried other HDTV's with this player and I get the same issues, so it's definitely the XD-E500 that is the issue.

Ever since my warranty ended I've been getting these issues. Darn, I should have gotten that 3 year extended warranty off Best Buy Canada for a small $34.99 fee. Now I am paying the price by not using this player anymore...

Any suggestions?
post #1826 of 1830 Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM

Anybody got a FIX?
post #1827 of 1830 Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm sorry to Necro this thread but I'm scratching my head right now.

I have a XDE500 and I'm experiencing problem with burned DVDs.

I have seen somewhere that xde has problem with burned DVD, but I must make a try here.

For the record I wanted to save my recorded VCR superbowls on DVD, and it took forever to do it because my old hauppauge card is not accepted by win7 so I had to make an old PC, and... well long story.
I did several tests for quality images with a DVD RW Sony and everytime the DVD were loaded properly.

Then, I burned the whole file in severals DVD (Memorex, Verbatim) and it was not loading.
After a few tries it was loading.
Then the next day it was not loading (the same DVD), so i tried to at 1st read a 'true' DVD film then open the XDE and load my burned DVD.

It appears than the DVD load only a very few times when I'm lucky.

May be it's because the writing mode when the DVD has been burned was too high, may be the XDE can't read DVD that have been written over than 4X I don't know.
May be the laser lens is cheap I don't know

Is there a fix for that, a firmware upgrade (I have seen Automan posts but links are broken) or something (my version is XD_E500TE_00G_R2), or am I completely fu....ed ??

Thanks in advance
post #1828 of 1830 Old 08-27-2011, 09:25 PM

Repulsif, it should be able to play those DVD's no problem. I believe it's the method you used to burn those DVD's maybe. I think this player is over due for a nice firmware update...

Here is what it can play:
DVD,DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD-RW DL,DVD-R DL,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD+RWDL,DVD+R DL, CD, CD-DA,CD-R, CD-RW,VCD, SVCD,DivX (with subtitle support)

LINK:
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...t=8472#spectop
post #1829 of 1830 Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM

hi,

thanks for the message.

when i load the burned dvd r in a phillips dvdr 3480, it's fine
in a computer pionneer dvd player, computer asus, computer lg, it's fine.

only in the xde i have problems.

I use deep burner for my burning dvd, i didn't experienced ant problem before.
i wanted to slow down the burning speed for a test but deep burner does allow not me to ; for each dvd it applies a speed you can not change (and sometimes it burns at x20 on x16 dvds).

Is it really a burning sofware problem ?
what are the (free) other reliable softwares in this case ?
Thanks
post #1830 of 1830 Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Humm, in that case it may very well be your Toshiba player. I find sometimes I cannot play DVD-R and/or DVD+R's in my other Toshiba DVD players. Not all discs, just some of them for some reason, though I have no issue playing them in my LG player.

Have you tried NERO?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page