STD DVD Using Components Handshakes on my HDTV - Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here is an issue that I've seen discussed but not solved.

I just purchased a Samsung 40" 1080p HDTV (LN40A500) and have my old Sony DVD Player (DVP-S550D) connected using Component cables. The issue that arises is after 10 seconds of movie playing, I get interference that looks static-y and eventually drops out. From what I have read this is most likely analog macrovision protection.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2008, 02:23 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalie View Post

So here is an issue that I've seen discussed but not solved.

I just purchased a Samsung 40" 1080p HDTV (LN40A500) and have my old Sony DVD Player (DVP-S550D) connected using Component cables. The issue that arises is after 10 seconds of movie playing, I get interference that looks static-y and eventually drops out. From what I have read this is most likely analog macrovision protection.

Thanks.

I would first try different combinations to see if one of the pieces of gear is faulty.
  • Try different component cables.
  • Try the player with a different display (still using component).
  • Try a different player with the display (still using component).

If you still suspect Macrovision, try to find a disc that is unlikely to have it, such as a home-made copy. Does they problem still occur?

-Bill
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalie View Post

Thanks.

There are instructions here http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/ar...p/t-17705.html on how to get to the service menu on this player, but I'm unclear whether macrovision can be disabled or not.

-Bill
post #4 of 4 Old 11-28-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone. I think I solved it.

I spoke to Samsung who said it probably WASN'T Macrovision, but the DVD Player's resolution wasn't high enough and I should try to boost it. Unfortunately there is no way to do that on this player...or so I thought.

I found the Video EQ Menu and chose the Cinematic setting (listed as the "Best Picture Quality"). That sounds higher resolution to me, so I selected it. Sure enough it works! I have to select it every time I put in a new DVD (I think the player remembers each disc's setting) but it seems to work pretty well; I've watched whole episodes of The Simpsons and Arrested Development plus a few scenes from The Incredibles and no dropped signal.

As this is all new to me, I won't be surprised if something changes over the next few days. So I may return with more questions.

Special Thanks to "wmcclain" for that cool tip on how to turn off Macrovision and Region Coding. I'll make use of that soon enough.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page