Kenwood DV-5050M or 5900M with DVD-R disks??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2002, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been searching for an answer to this question for over a week, and I think I'll finally get my answer here...

I'm looking to build a nice Mega changer for my DVD collection which consists of DVD's, CD's (audio), DVD-R's (mix of authord movies and some DVD backups).

This will be the start of my eventual home theatre. Right now I have a Mitsu 40" tube, but will eventually go to a projector.

Here's my question:

Does this mega changer play DVD-R (recorded) media? As a test I created a disk (2 sided DVD-R), which played just fine on my Pioneer DV-C503 player. I went to my local retailer and wanted to see if it played in their DV-5900M. Unfortunatly they didn't have it hooked to a TV, so all I had to go by was the front panel. It DID NOT appear to play, but not being able to see the on-screen menu left me skeptical. It also failed to play in a Sony DVP-CX860, so maybe it's something I did during the authoring state (although it played on my Pioneer).

I'm really looking to use DVD-R 2 sided media (www.cd-recordable.com), and use the flip capability of either this or the Sony changer, but I dont' want to buy a player that won't play DVD-R

This forum seems to be full of folks that actually HAVE these players, so I'm hoping to get some good (hopefully positive), responses.

Many thanks,

Roveer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-24-2002, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Now I know you guys are here, the Kenwood threads have hundred of responses.

Is anyone out there using DVD-R's with their Kenwood players? Has anyone tried and suceeded with the 2.95 disks?

Roveer
post #3 of 10 Old 01-28-2002, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to close out this thread with some information that I gathered over the weekend concerning the use of DVD-R's in the Kenwood players.

I visited a local retailer who had a DV-5900M set up and I was able to try my 'prototype' disks in their machine. The results are in:

1. 8 dollar Pioneer DVD-R played just fine, started playing immediatly (no lag time)

2. 3 dollar cd-recordable.com disk did NOT play. Tried two different 'cheapo' disks and neither wanted to run in the Kenwood.

I then tried a Sony CX860 (300+1) and Both the more expensive and the cheapo DVD-R's played. The cheapo DVD-R took 7-10 seconds of extra 'seeking' before it began playing, but it did play. I was also surprised to see the Sony play my DVD-RW without any problems.

I decided to buy the CX860. This is basically the cheapest changer out there, but for my needs, and considering it's going into a whole house video distribution system, it will do the job just fine. It also has a s-link jack that is rumored to allow the remote to control my Sony CD jukebox, so staying in the Sony family will probably benefit me a bit here.

My initial impressions on the Sony is that I can live with all the GUI shortcomings that everyone has written about. Sometimes I think people get too wrapped up in features. Personally, I just want to be able to watch a movie, not sort the movies by the directors dogs name.

Thanks to all of those folks who responded. I still think the Kenwood is a nice changer, but now I can afford a ProntoPro TSU6000 to fix all the GUI problems on the Sony and make coffee!

Regards,

Roveer
post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2002, 02:01 PM

I have the DV-5900M and nobody has ever answered my posts either. To answer your post, I have tried 2 brands of DVD-R (one cheap and one by Pioneer) and they both worked. One gave me a problem at first but then I cleaned some fingerprints/dust off the disc and it worked fine. I was glad to see that the manual was wrong or that they just don't "officially" support DVD-R.

Ben

=== Benjamin Lewitt=== My DVD Collection =====
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond, where the Shadows lie.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-03-2002, 05:47 PM

Come on Guys---Some of you have to have both devices.
I posted this about a week ago with no replies.
I use the HP DVD+RW to burn the disc. I will bet the
5900m can't play them. Thanks for the answer in advance.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-03-2003, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a new PC with a DVD burner so this topic is quite interesting. It has been a while since this thread has been updated. Is there more experiences out there? Details of what media (and sources for it) would be greatly appreciated.

This site has only a couple entries for the 5900M and 5050M. Would seem like a good place to add your input as well.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.p...&Search=Search

TIA

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #7 of 10 Old 04-03-2003, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Source location of information:

i) Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=95150)

ii) Print all URL link (up to first 2184)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/print...0&perpage=2184

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Posted by Mkellyvich on 11-20-02 08:53 PM:
I've had success playing DVD+RW burned on a HP DVD-writer 200i in the DV-5900M. Disc was burned using Sonic's MyDVD program, video files included 720x480 AVI and MPEG files as well as VCD-resolution AVI files. Menus and chapters all worked fine. I've only done three discs, all on Memorex DVD+RW media - your mileage may vary. There is a post on VCDhelp.com that claims DVD-RW compatibility for the 5900M as well.
Quote:
Posted by fredisdead69 on 11-21-02 02:44 AM:
DVD+-R R/W Compatibility

I have had success with DVD+RW and DVD-R with both premium and budget media.

The unit will play DVD's authored with non standard video and audio. eg. I burn DVD-R's of Tivo extracted video which is 480x480 with MP2 audio, and they play fine on my 5900M.

Kenwood support's official position is that the 5900 does not support DVD+-R R/W, but it does, they just don't want to help diagnose our authoring problems.
Quote:
Posted by kelliot on 11-24-02 12:38 AM:
Re: DVD-R and DVD+R on DV-5900M

I have gotten DVD+RW disks to play on my 5050M from my Phillips 985 but it is clearly touchier than other players. By touchy, I mean that the higher chapters sometimes have a tougher time syncing up.

I've defintely had problems with higher chapters on DVD-R copies, this seems to somehow be related back to the original recording, i.e. a copy works or it doesn't.

I copy from a Showstopper HS2000 to the Phillips 985 and have used a PC to make a cheapy DVD-R on a few occasions. Now, I just use inexpensive DVD-RWs and DVD+Rs.

I have yet to try a DVD+R on the 5050 however.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2003, 06:12 PM

Scott mentioned my success with DVD+RW in the 5900M. I've since copied several of those disks onto DVD+R (Memorex media) and have played them reliably in the DV-5900M.

Mike
post #9 of 10 Old 05-30-2003, 06:29 PM

Liked: 11
Thought I'd mention my experiences. I haven't tried a DVD-R disk yet(plan to this weekend). But I have about 30 Sony DVD-RW disks currently in my 5900M with no problems. Additionally if anyone was wondering it appears the player is very lax when it comes to non-standard video sizes. It will play stuff I have taken off my PVR501 and sent straight to DVD without re-encoding. The video size coming off the PVR is usually 544x480.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-02-2003, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mathazar 05-31-03 03:51 PM
I've been using primarily Ritek 2x DVD-R media (spindles of 100 for about $120 via internet) and they play back fine in my 5900M. I burn my discs in a 2x Toshiba drive and a 2x Pioneer drive. The only time I've gotten choppy/poor playback was when I was experimenting with SVCD which the 5900M doesn't support. Recordable VCDs and DVDs are playing back fine for me. Kris
From the i) thread listed above in my 04-03-03 07:54 AM entry

Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page