Vibrating DVDs making angry buzzing noise - AVS Forum
DVD Players (Standard Def) > Vibrating DVDs making angry buzzing noise
Lamberto's Avatar Lamberto 04:50 AM 01-08-2009
I'm fairly sure my DVD player* isn't full of bees. I've come across the issue very occasionally before and on other players, but have always assumed it was a faulty disc that was unbalanced ever so slightly. It sounds as though it's wobbling as it spins, which tallies with the fact that it's always worse near the start of a disc (menus etc) where the disc is spun faster.

Lately I've been getting it a lot, and the discs at fault play quite happily and quietly on another player, so I'm suspecting there's something wrong with my machine. The question is, what's wrong and can I fix it? The most likely thing I can think of is that the clamp isn't holding the discs quite as well as it should. Any ideas? Or should I just give up and replace it? it's tempting to upgrade to a Freeview HDD model, but if I can fix it with a bit of patience and a spare couple of hours I'm willing.

Cheers!

* Actually it's a DVD recorder (Sony RDR-GX300), but this is a playback issue so I've posted it in this forum - hope that's okay.

wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:11 AM 01-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto View Post

I'm fairly sure my DVD player* isn't full of bees. I've come across the issue very occasionally before and on other players, but have always assumed it was a faulty disc that was unbalanced ever so slightly. It sounds as though it's wobbling as it spins, which tallies with the fact that it's always worse near the start of a disc (menus etc) where the disc is spun faster.

Lately I've been getting it a lot, and the discs at fault play quite happily and quietly on another player, so I'm suspecting there's something wrong with my machine. The question is, what's wrong and can I fix it? The most likely thing I can think of is that the clamp isn't holding the discs quite as well as it should. Any ideas? Or should I just give up and replace it? it's tempting to upgrade to a Freeview HDD model, but if I can fix it with a bit of patience and a spare couple of hours I'm willing.

Cheers!

* Actually it's a DVD recorder (Sony RDR-GX300), but this is a playback issue so I've posted it in this forum - hope that's okay.

I've had that from time to time with various discs and players, although not recently for some reason.

My theory is that it is a combination of (a) disc contents (and maybe physical balance), (b) the laser head motion, and (c) the (by design) variable rotation speed of a disc.

Somehow the right combination of factors will cause a resonance with the player which causes the loud vibrating noise. It is most common in menus because these are short looping videos that seem to exercise the laser and disc rotation in special ways.

I found it could be minimized by torqueing the player just slightly, for example by propping a manual under one corner.

Copying the contents to a new disc can help, especially if you take a subset of the existing contents, for example take the title and leave the menus.

-Bill
Lamberto's Avatar Lamberto 04:25 AM 01-09-2009
It's way too loud to do much about by moving the box itself - the majority of the noise is from the vibration itself rather than any resonance set up as a result.

I think I'll go through a selection of known good DVDs to see whether any of them are vibrating now, as a way of assessing whether its worth replacing or not.
onlinegadgeteer's Avatar onlinegadgeteer 02:06 AM 01-10-2009
Yes 100% this problem is because of faulty CD!
Lamberto's Avatar Lamberto 06:09 PM 01-10-2009
Actually, I think it's a bit of both. I tried the worst offender on a variety of machines today, and found it also wobbled loudly on my old xbox. This suggests to me that there is something dodgy about the DVD, but some players can handle it better than others.

In light of that, I reckon I'll just make copies of the problem discs for now.
Up
Mobile  Desktop