S-Video Vs. Composite Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV connected via Composite video to an RF modulator connected to a CRT TV. I find myself constantly adjusting picture settings on my TV and DVD player every time I switch between viewing TV channels and DVDs. For TV channel viewing, I keep all my picture settings in the nutral position. For viewing DVDs, I turn the contrast on my TV and DVD player to the maximum position which helps with darker scenes, but then my TV color becomes funky. If I upgrade to S-Video, will the level on my DVD player match that of TV broadcasts so I can keep my settings in their nutral positions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV connected via Composite video to an RF modulator connected to a CRT TV. I find myself constantly adjusting picture settings on my TV and DVD player every time I switch between viewing TV channels and DVDs. For TV channel viewing, I keep all my picture settings in the nutral position. For viewing DVDs, I turn the contrast on my TV and DVD player to the maximum position which helps with darker scenes, but then my TV color becomes funky. If I upgrade to S-Video, will the level on my DVD player match that of TV broadcasts so I can keep my settings in their nutral positions?

It's hard to say. S-video should give you somewhat better PQ. You need to use a calibration disc to see how things should look, at least according to the standards to which DVDs are mastered.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
S-Video will provide a better picture with better sharpness and color saturation. I did a little comparison awhile back on a CRT and was really surprised how much better S-Video looked compared to composite.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

What kind of connections does your TV have? If you are using the RF modulator you are most likely getting losses in the video signal, which is not at it's best with composite to begin with. If your TV has separate inputs, use the RF for the the antenna or cable box, then use the composite video (yellow RCA jack) for the DVD. If the TV has a seperate S-video then use that for the DVD instead of the composite. If you have to use the modulator you might want to try a different one, perhaps the one you are using is funky.

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #5 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtommy View Post

What kind of connections does your TV have? If you are using the RF modulator you are most likely getting losses in the video signal, which is not at it's best with composite to begin with. If your TV has separate inputs, use the RF for the the antenna or cable box, then use the composite video (yellow RCA jack) for the DVD. If the TV has a seperate S-video then use that for the DVD instead of the composite. If you have to use the modulator you might want to try a different one, perhaps the one you are using is funky.

If my TV had any A/V inputs, I would have no reason to use an RF modulator. My TV only has a cable TV/antenna input. However, my RF modulator has Composite and S-Video connections.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The RF modulator needs to convert S-Video signal format into composite format any way before modulate the signal. The problem you have might be related to the black level mismatch. See if your player can configure a different black level for analog out.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you need a new TV. It's moot to use Svideo when you use RF modulator which is the worst connection possible between video devices. There should be a fire sale on may CRT type TV's (especially non-hi-def with some may have component, Svideo, composite, and RF connections) as most people are switching to HDTV due to 2/09 DTV deadline.

Huey ;-]
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've seen a couple of 27 inch CRT's at places like Wal-Mart for $200 or under. Both at Wal-Mart (RCA and Sansui I believe) had component inputs as well as S-Video and composite.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page