Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can decide between the two.

1. OPPO DV-980H
2. Denon DVD-1740 or DVD-558 (these two I think are the same when compared at www.denon.com)

I currently have (or will be getting) the Sammy 50" Plasma 1080p so I want to get a new DVD player since mine is about 10 years old if not older. I do need it to play home made DVD's since my kid's home videos are stored in DVD format.

Any recommendations or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Firstly, go back and change the title of your thread to 980 from the written 970!
The Oppo has very good video processing, and the added feature set of audio as a bonus, but I haven't owned either Denon to comment on their quality. The upconversion of the Oppo is very nice, and I think you'd find it to your liking for that 50" plasma.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the correction of the subject and also thank you for the information on the Oppo. I was briefly considering buying a Blu-Ray player, but I have too many DVD's to justify it and I really can't see a big difference between a regular upconverted DVD and a Blu-Ray DVD. Perhaps it's because I really haven't experienced it correctly, I'm not sure.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
On a 50" plasma that is correctly calibrated, the difference between BluRay and upscaled DVD should be readily apparent at any viewing distance under 15 ft. Likewise, the difference between a quality upscaled DVD and a lesser quality should also be apparent, though not everyone will care about the differences.

The Oppo 980 does provide a quality upscaled image, but there are improvements to be had over the 980. The Oppo 983 and the new BDP-83 will provide the best "film-like" image. Whether you personally will appreciate the differences is for you to decide.

I would use your DVD library to decide between an Oppo 980 and a 983 or -83. If you have a lot of TV series on DVD, PAL DVDs or other material that is of a lesser quality, the better player is called for. Frankly I don't think any of the Denon units proved a good "bang-for-buck" ratio in comparison. The SACD and DVD-A capability and playback of video/audio files from disc or USB are added features that only you can assign value to.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

rdgrimes, yes you are correct. I do see the difference between an Upscaling DVD and Blu-Ray but I guess it really doesn't matter to me much because I'm also shocked at the price of Blu-Ray DVD's when they come out that I try to avoid them. I have close to 200 DVD's that I have purchased over the decades and I just want to continue to use them in the best possible manner.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumVP View Post

rdgrimes, yes you are correct. I do see the difference between an Upscaling DVD and Blu-Ray but I guess it really doesn't matter to me much because I'm also shocked at the price of Blu-Ray DVD's when they come out that I try to avoid them. I have close to 200 DVD's that I have purchased over the decades and I just want to continue to use them in the best possible manner.

I would go for either a 983 if you can find one, or the BDP-83 for the best in DVD performance. But the 980 probably does offer the best value. I have a lot of poorly mastered TV series and PAL DVDs which the 983/BDP-83 are the best for watching on. It's really a matter of how much that extra 10% performance is worth to you.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with Oppo support and they told me that the 980 is a sharper image where the 981 is more of a softer one. I did mention to him that I do have a 50" and he told me that their cut off is at 46" but with a 50" it is maybe a 2% difference between the 980 and the 981.

I was considering the 983, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I may decide to go full blown HD with BR.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumVP View Post

I just got off the phone with Oppo support and they told me that the 980 is a sharper image where the 981 is more of a softer one. I did mention to him that I do have a 50" and he told me that their cut off is at 46" but with a 50" it is maybe a 2% difference between the 980 and the 981.

I was considering the 983, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I may decide to go full blown HD with BR.

The 983 is discontinued, but can be found here and there or used. I wouldn't call the image on a 981 "softer", but would call it "smoother" where the 980 is a bit grainier. But I agree that for $350 used or $400 new, the 983 pales in comparison to a BDP-83 new at $500-600 (projected price). I've used the 980 and 983 and BDP-83, and much prefer the 983/-83 for the "film-like" image. The BDP-83 has identical or slightly better image than the 983.

Bottom line is that any of these will give you a significant bump in performance over your old DVD player. But the 983/-83 will give you a bit more "wow-factor".
post #9 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Hello,
I am in a similar situation of needing a new player and am trying to decide between an Oppo 980 or 983 or even to go to a Bluray such as a BD35. My display is a Pioneer Plasma PDP4280XD and since I am presently in Europe my 200+ DVD's are all PAL region 2 or 4 so multi region is essential. BD35 can also be made DVD region free over here.

I would love the Oppo BD83 but may be some time before the BD Region B version appears (although a picture is on the opposhop website) and the Region 2 DVD may not play all my Region 4 discs (although several don't appear to have any region locking).

Do you think the 983 would be overkill on my 42" 768p display?

I have heard that the 980 PAL playback is now quite good in film mode, do you have any experience of this?

Do you have any other suggestions/ recommendations to consider?
Thanks
post #10 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the information that yo have provided. You've given me way more to process that I would have thought. It get very involved when looking for new audio/video components since more of my stuff is 15+ years old.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv tweaker View Post

Do you think the 983 would be overkill on my 42" 768p display?

I have heard that the 980 PAL playback is now quite good in film mode, do you have any experience of this?

At 42", the 980 should be more than adequate.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

At 42", the 980 should be more than adequate.

Agreed. Especially after talking with Oppo support.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks for your comments, I think I will be ordering a 980 shortly
post #14 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the 980 from Amazon today. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs on a 50". I'll keep you posted.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
^^^ Do you have a link? I'm also looking at the 980 and will be interested in your impressions. I have a Sony 46" W4100 1080p LCD currently running with a newer Sony 700 DVD upconverter. My only complaint is when watching DVDs I occasionally see the horizontal lines, most noticeable in a paused picture but also sometimes when just watching DVDs. The 980 feature set best matches my liked features on the Sony which I otherwise really like.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

^^^ Do you have a link? I'm also looking at the 980 and will be interested in your impressions. I have a Sony 46" W4100 1080p LCD currently running with a newer Sony 700 DVD upconverter. My only complaint is when watching DVDs I occasionally see the horizontal lines, most noticeable in a paused picture but also sometimes when just watching DVDs. The 980 feature set best matches my liked features on the Sony which I otherwise really like.

I'm assuming you were referring to a link to the Oppo on Amazon's site. Here is it;

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-DV-980H-U...3419513&sr=8-1

My first impressions of the Oppo is WOW.. just WOW. When I opened the box, the player itself was wrapped in a cloth bag. CLOTH!!! That might be something that other manufactures are doing as well but for me it was a REAL NICE TOUCH.

Yesterday was the first day that everything was setup and I watch Finding Nemo, Cars, Over The Hedge and Indian Jones: Crystal Skull. Originally I wasn't impressed with the image at all. It was grainy and blocky and I was considering taking it back. However I did some research first and come to find out that the DVD player doesn't up convert unless you tell it to. I looked at the settings and it wsa only at 480i. Well no wonder it looked like garbage on a 50". So I changed it to 1080p and played it again. WOW, what a difference. I didn't see any blurry or blocky issues as before.

My neighbor came over to check it out and he was jaw dropped. He has a Sony 46 inch LCD (not sure of the model but it is the series above the Bravia he said) that he bought 1 year ago and he was just amazed as the quality of the TV and the DVD player.

Just a side not: Finding Nemo and Cars are GREAT DVD to watch because all the colors are VIBRANT and it really shows on the ability of your components.

When I judge a component I try to ask myself, would I give this to family? Yes... Yes I would without hesitation. The DVD player is easy to use. The front panel has open/close and play. The remote glows in the dark and the quality is OUTRAGEOUS. I was little skeptical because Oppo technical support told me that the 980 was for 46" or less and the 931 was for anything large than 46". How they did tell me that they may be a 2% difference from the 981 and 980 at 50".

Apologized for bouncing back and forth on the topic. I'm just really excited about everything and I want to make sure that I share as much as possible.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Yes that's the link I was looking for nice, free shipping.
Your neighbor must have the XBR which is a step above mine(Bravia).
Ya I suppose using a Oppo in 480i is like never getting out of second gear in a Ferrari
I've got Finding Nemo but not Cars, I like to use Monsters Inc. when setting up equipment, looking at things like Sully's fur or even Randall's scales are a good test of equipment. I also like to use my Shania Twain video collection DVD too
It has it all, bright colors, great contrast ratio, B&W scenes, nice music and Shania, what can I say
I appreciate your comments, I've been thinking about a Oppo for a while, now to convince the wife we need "another" DVD player although I suppose one could say Oppo isn't "Just" another DVD player
post #18 of 18 Old 02-01-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes that's the link I was looking for nice, free shipping.
Your neighbor must have the XBR which is a step above mine(Bravia).
Ya I suppose using a Oppo in 480i is like never getting out of second gear in a Ferrari
I've got Finding Nemo but not Cars, I like to use Monsters Inc. when setting up equipment, looking at things like Sully's fur or even Randall's scales are a good test of equipment. I also like to use my Shania Twain video collection DVD too
It has it all, bright colors, great contrast ratio, B&W scenes, nice music and Shania, what can I say
I appreciate your comments, I've been thinking about a Oppo for a while, now to convince the wife we need "another" DVD player although I suppose one could say Oppo isn't "Just" another DVD player

It's not just another DVD player... it's an "Upconverting Video Format Player that bring happiness to the neighborhood."
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page