The Pioneer DV-420V Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just as a follow-up, i've tried firmware 2.0 and 1.1 and i'm getting the same problem... it seems i've lost the fast forward capability on a usb avi. any recommendations on how to kick the unit in the head and get it to respond again? also, i lost hdmi video and audio last night, would a faulty hdmi cable cause a problem with the fast forward on a usb stick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should test the original firmware!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Hkan, I sent you a PM asking some questions. Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

You should test the original firmware!

thanks Hkan, >. i just installed the original firmware (i downloaded the file from your site) and the usb avi's work right way (fast forward & backward). dangit! does this mean i won't be able to use your firmware upgrades (because they might be unstable on my machine for some reason)? shortly after i bought the machine i loaded version 1.1 which worked well on the machine. then about 10 days ago i loaded version 2.2 (without loading the upgrades in between) and i started to see little things happening... maybe i botched the install procedure without realizing it?

should i try to load the new firmware versions one by one to get to version 2.2 or can i go directly from the original firmware right to 2.2?

thanks Hkan.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickin View Post

thanks Hkan, >. i just installed the original firmware (i downloaded the file from your site) and the usb avi's work right way (fast forward & backward). dangit! does this mean i won't be able to use your firmware upgrades (because they might be unstable on my machine for some reason)? shortly after i bought the machine i loaded version 1.1 which worked well on the machine. then about 10 days ago i loaded version 2.2 (without loading the upgrades in between) and i started to see little things happening... maybe i botched the install procedure without realizing it?

should i try to load the new firmware versions one by one to get to version 2.2 or can i go directly from the original firmware right to 2.2?

thanks Hkan.

You can go directly to any version you want.
You can try V2.2 again if you want to.

I'm in the process of moving so all my players are packed away so I cnat test anyting for the moment.
At least all July I'll be busy with the move and installment in the new(older) appartment.
Move is becosue I'm unemployed for the moment and I need to lower my costs!

Oh well all will be fine in the end

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:53 AM

thank you Hkan. i will download a fresh copy of 2.2 and give it a whirl again to see if i can find what i did wrong.

p.s. i know that feeling well (cutting costs), so i especially appreciate you taking the time out to pop in and help me ... many thanks sir!

p.s.s. i'm sure things will work out for you. maybe contact pioneer and negotiate a royalty for each dvd unit sold (cuz you're the one keeping their sales up i'm sure).
Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Hi Hkan
the new versin 2.2 is the best ihave had because problems Ihad are gone.All is good MPeg are running etc etc.
But I have an answer Iam sorry but Icant find the post where you have written the Highest number of files and folders for a fat32 usb-Harddrive. When Ihave a subfolder with too many files the whole Usb isnt running.
Thanks for the STM2.2
Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansharz View Post

Hi Hkan
the new versin 2.2 is the best ihave had because problems Ihad are gone.All is good MPeg are running etc etc.
But I have an answer Iam sorry but Icant find the post where you have written the Highest number of files and folders for a fat32 usb-Harddrive. When Ihave a subfolder with too many files the whole Usb isnt running.
Thanks for the STM2.2

You can have up to 299 folder and a total of 648 files and folders toghter. (Folder + files= 648).

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Hi guys, I hate to keep asking for help but I am just not any good at computers.

I have ordered the 420 based on all the good posts and information on this forum. I am now trying to get the firmware burned onto a CD.

Hkan was nice enough to send me the 2.2 firmware and even gave me a step by step instruction of how to burn the firmware onto a CD however the instruction was for Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.8. I have Nero StartSmart Essentials that came with my computer but it does not look anything like the Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.8. I can not find CD-ROM(ISO) function on my Nero. I am afraid that I might do something wrong and ruin my DVD player.

It is not as simple as just download the firmware and then just burn onto a CD, so can anyone help me with the firmware?

Hkan would send me a burned CD however he is in the middle of moving and everything is packed up so he could not do this so I am asking help from rest of the members here.

It might be simple for most of you guys but not for me. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Update, I found a Nero that will burn ISO and here is the firmware,

YKF9930A_V22_CP1252

I unzipped it and now it is

YKF9930A 1,869KB VLC Media file (.bin)

Not sure how to do the next part.

# Find the *.bin file you should burn on the CD. Drag it over to the burn window. make sure the lable of the CD is PIONEER.
# Bin file name shall be in CAPITAL letters that includes also the BIN.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 AM

you might be over thinking it, but you might be right about nero smartstart essentials. to burn a cd of the upgrade you only need to do three things with your burning software: create a 'new data cd', then add the 'YKF9930A.BIN' file to the cd (just that file, nothing else), then change the label of the cd to "PIONEER"... that last part might be the sticking point because i'm not sure smartstart essentials will allow you to change the cd's label. there are other free programs that will let you do the job (for instance 'burnaware free' or 'CDBurnerXP') so you might want to try one of those (burnaware free is a very nice little app just be sure the uncheck the option to install the 'ask toolbar' during installation).

that's about it really... although in my case i have to rename the bin file from time to time for some reason i can't get a handle on (probably cuz i'm always stoned when i read the instructions in this thread )

maybe use a re-writeable cd while you're experimenting with it and when you burn the thing, make sure PIONEER is capitalized (Hkan has already capitalized the 'YKF9930A.BIN' file for you )
Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 PM

After all the help from you guys, I got my firmware CD burned. Received my Pioneer 420 DVD player today and found that it is already able to play my mom's Chinese DVDs however it would not play her older Chinese VCD. Would the update firmware solve this problem? It is not a big deal because she doesn't have many VCD but just wondering.

The other question is whether there is any advantage to load the firmware now? Thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM

I have a new DV-420V, it plays fine but when I've tried to play a movie in DVD-9 it won't play.
That DVD-9 is brand new and plays in other DVD players. What may be a problem? Can anyone help ?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 AM

I have a Pioneer DV-393 that not only works flawlessly, it plays everything I put into, and it's an entry level player. I was thinking about upgrading to the 420 since I'm not interested in blu-ray just yet. Is this player worth getting? I love the usb thing but I don't want to buy something that's buggy or problematic and would want it to play all the file formats the 393 does- I would love it to be as efficient as the 393. I've always felt Pioneer makes solid gear, but in reading about some of the problems with this player, beyond the usb port and hdmi connection, I'm not sure it would be much of an upgrade over the 393 in terms of picture quality, although feature-wise, it certainly would be. Thanks for any guidance.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 AM

Hi, my DV-420V current Firmware is YKF9326A Region 3, can someone let me know if the v2.2 firmware can be used for it, if so, can you point me to the download location?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM

my 410 crapped out on me today just a couple weeks after getting a blu-ray. i moved the 410 up to the bedroom and brought it back to the family room because i missed its upconverting. but it just stopped working out of nowhere. i'm bummed!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM

Sounds like electronics jealousy!! Its happened to me too!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:19 PM

USB function does not work whatsoever. Tried using by USB Flash Drive to put in a new file upgrade , but to no avail. The only thing I got was "USB Mode" on my receiver display. No GUI on TV screen. I'm using HDMI cable to the TV. Just bought the unit last week. Tried to power off/on... that did'nt work either. FYI, the unit was bought at Best Buy in U.S. Obviously the new batch of the 420-V's won't allow you to use the USB function at all. Completely USELESS ! Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

The original and multi-region versions of YKB9326C are finally available! Once you install the multi-region version, remember to hold the ENTER key until the player turns off in order to actually set it to multi-region.

Does not work since USB function does not work at all.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM

OK, it took me a while to test out most of my mom's DVDs, I want to get all the facts to you guys before I posted again.

Here is the story, I burned a firmware CD after getting help from all the guys here on the forum. I then ordered a Pioneer DV-420 thinking that I would need the upgrade to make the DVD player region free using the firmware. The DVD player arrived and before I do the firmware upgrade, I figure I would test it out to make sure that everything was OK.

I inserted my mom's Chinese DVDs that I purchased for her when I was traveling in China and it played fine, then there were a few that did not play plus I found an old Chinese VCD that did not play. Later I found that the VCD played however I was looking for a manu which is seems that the VCDs did not have. I then went ahead and tested over 100 Chinese DVDs which just about all of them played just fine.

These Chinese DVDs are not region free (region 0 I believe) because they will not play in any of my 3 DVD players however will play fine on the Pioneer SD-420.

My question is that since the Pioneer SD 420 is not suppose to be region free and is manufactured in Dec 2009 and has a Region 1 label on the back, has anyone received a region free Pioneer SD-420?

Did I just got lucky in receiving a region free DVD player? Anyone also have their Pioneer SD-420 that is region free out of the box?

I have not install the firmware yet because at this point I don't see the reason to do so plus I am not positive that I burned the firmware onto the CD correctly.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

OK, it took me a while to test out most of my mom's DVDs, I want to get all the facts to you guys before I posted again.

Here is the story, I burned a firmware CD after getting help from all the guys here on the forum. I then ordered a Pioneer DV-420 thinking that I would need the upgrade to make the DVD player region free using the firmware. The DVD player arrived and before I do the firmware upgrade, I figure I would test it out to make sure that everything was OK.

I inserted my mom's Chinese DVDs that I purchased for her when I was traveling in China and it played fine, then there were a few that did not play plus I found an old Chinese VCD that did not play. Later I found that the VCD played however I was looking for a manu which is seems that the VCDs did not have. I then went ahead and tested over 100 Chinese DVDs which just about all of them played just fine.

These Chinese DVDs are not region free (region 0 I believe) because they will not play in any of my 3 DVD players however will play fine on the Pioneer SD-420.

My question is that since the Pioneer SD 420 is not suppose to be region free and is manufactured in Dec 2009 and has a Region 1 label on the back, has anyone received a region free Pioneer SD-420?

Did I just got lucky in receiving a region free DVD player? Anyone also have their Pioneer SD-420 that is region free out of the box?

I have not install the firmware yet because at this point I don't see the reason to do so plus I am not positive that I burned the firmware onto the CD correctly.

My best advice for you : If it ain't broke, then don't fix it
Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen111 View Post

My best advice for you : If it ain't broke, then don't fix it

I agree, since I was not sure if I burned the firmware onto CD correctly in the first place. Just didn't want to mess up my DVD player which I am very happy with right now.

Just wondering if other guys have received their 420 player region free out of the box or did I just get lucky?

I love the 5 disc memory that I think I am going to purchase one for myself since this one is for my mom. Just wondering if I purchase another one 6save if it will also be region free.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

I agree, since I was not sure if I burned the firmware onto CD correctly in the first place. Just didn't want to mess up my DVD player which I am very happy with right now.

Just wondering if other guys have received their 420 player region free out of the box or did I just get lucky?

I love the 5 disc memory that I think I am going to purchase one for myself since this one is for my mom. Just wondering if I purchase another one 6save if it will also be region free.

Mine is exactly like yours, its Region 1, but if it can play different region DVD's..which I have not tried yet, then we're a lucky bunch, aren't we ? BTW, have you tried the USB Mode Menu ? Mine is totally shot.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen111 View Post

Mine is exactly like yours, its Region 1, but if it can play different region DVD's..which I have not tried yet, then we're a lucky bunch, aren't we ? BTW, have you tried the USB Mode Menu ? Mine is totally shot.

No, I am not that tech knowledgeable so I don't even know how to use a USB nor do I have anything to install there.

I think I am going to order another player for myself and hope it is also region free even though I will probably not play any Chinese videos since I don't like them.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthai View Post

Hi, my DV-420V current Firmware is YKF9326A Region 3, can someone let me know if the v2.2 firmware can be used for it, if so, can you point me to the download location?

hi canthai... not sure if this is still necessary but Hkan's firmware are located here (his site)...
http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/d...tion=Firmwares

for the chinese vcd issue, and i'm guessing here, is it possible the cd's are "svcd" instead of just "vcd"? cuz the machine can play vcd's but i'm not sure that it can play svcd's...

for the question about loading Hkan's firmware now (instead of waiting), go for it... at the very least you'll enjoy a better menu than the one delivered by pioneer. besides, if you finds something goes cockeyed you can always put the original firmware back into it.

as a side note i think i found the problem with my unit and the 2.2 firmware... i changed out the hdmi cable to a 1.3 (the one i was using was a standard speed cable) and the machine seems fine now (no stuttering or stalling or anything like that). Hkan has some good fyi's on his site about the unit and that's where i got the idea (he mentions that the unit can be finicky about different types of hdmi cables).

Quote:

Allen111
USB function does not work whatsoever. Tried using by USB Flash Drive to put in a new file upgrade , but to no avail. The only thing I got was "USB Mode" on my receiver display. No GUI on TV screen. I'm using HDMI cable to the TV. Just bought the unit last week. Tried to power off/on... that did'nt work either. FYI, the unit was bought at Best Buy in U.S. Obviously the new batch of the 420-V's won't allow you to use the USB function at all. Completely USELESS ! Any help would be appreciated.

hi Allen, i'm not sure i understand but are you trying to upgrade the unit using a usb stick and Hkan's firmware? if so, it won't work that way, ya gotta use the Cd approach. it would also explain why the unit does a stand-still when you put the firmware on a usb stick. the unit will only acknowledge file types it understands (avi, mpeg, mp3, etc) so it won't display any content (or menu) if the usb stick only has the firmware on it (it doesn't know what a bin file is so it won't display it, nor will it display the menu)... if that makes sense?

does that address your question? or are you saying that the unit won't play avi's through the usb socket?

----

not sure about the region free thing on new units. my guess would be that it wants you to set the region or it will decided for you when you put your first commercial dvd into it. afaik only Hkan's firmware will alter the machine's guts into a true region free unit.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM

How good is upconversion with the 420? I'm curious if I would get better upconversion via a 420 using hdmi as opposed to upconversion via av receiver, Yamaha rx-v1900 to be exact, with a Pioneer 393 connected to the receiver via component and the receiver connected to an hdtv via hdmi?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Hello guys,

I bought a pioneer DV420-V in thailand firmware version YKF9326A and am very happy with it. I just would like to make it region free. I am a bit confused as to which firmware i should install, v2.2 cp1251 or cp1252 .English is my preferred language.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Do those that have this player (and have actually done a comparison) find that picture quality with component cable output is superior to that of HDMI?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doi suthep View Post

Hello guys,

I bought a pioneer DV420-V in thailand firmware version YKF9326A and am very happy with it. I just would like to make it region free. I am a bit confused as to which firmware i should install, v2.2 cp1251 or cp1252 .English is my preferred language.Any help would be appreciated.

Correct me if I'm wrong but for right now YKF9930A Vol.2.2 (cp1252) is the BEST and UP TO DATE bin to use for all 420 models. This file was posted by Mr. Hakan himself on June 8th, 2010.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM

"Do those that have this player (and have actually done a comparison) find that picture quality with component cable output is superior to that of HDMI?"

I just bought the player and I haven't experimented enough with it, but I do have it connected through an av receiver, Yamaha RX-V1900 via hdmi because I think the receiver does a better job of up-conversion than the Pioneer. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw with the 420 connected directly to the 720p hdtv with hdmi. I was only upconverting to 720p because I didn't see the point in doing so to 1080.

Basically, I don't think I really know enough technically about up-conversion to do it in a well informed progressive manner, so I'm just trying different settings and seeing what looks best. I'm going to try 420 connected through the receiver with component and then try straight component to the hdtv and see what quality of signal I get.

Although I'm not really convinced about the quality of the 420's up-conversion, it's a pretty decent player with good tweakability and usb and the sound is better than my old 393, so it was well worth the $80.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 AM

dougee,
Please post your findings when you get to them. I'm probably not the only one that's interested.