The Pioneer DV-420V Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 436 Old 08-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

After some weeks using the 420v, I have identified some weak points of if.

I must say, preliminarily, that I purchased it to watch divx movies. In fact, it plays quite well divx movies. As I live in Brazil I am used to see the movies with subtitles in English. However, the subtitles are too small and you cannot control its size, color, shape, etc. It is really annoying.

Another weak point is the browser. It does not show the full name of the files on the disc (musics or videos), which fact per se is very bad. In addition, because of its design, the browser does not use the total size of the screen, which is divided into 2 big windows but the right one is not used (?) so that you are left with a bad browser that only uses half of the screen.

Another weakness, under my perception, is that it chooses the subtitle based on the name of the movie. You do not see the subtitle file name. If the subtitle file name matches with the movie it works. I do think that it makes the things easier for most of the people, however, the browser should show all of the files on the disc, let you choose the subtitle file and, next, the video. Once you get used with this approach, you will not change, as it is much better than the strategy used by Pionerr (my Philips 3380 does that and it is really nice). My be the menu could let the user choose which way he/she prefers.

I think that if Pioneer could correct the above issues this player would be a REAL WINNER. The subtitle problem, however, makes me put this player aside and continue to use an old LG HT503 that I have. A firmware update could correct the above issues. I emailed Hakan but, unfortunately, he said that he does not own this player so that we are left by ourselves, without the great help of him. I also emailed Pioneer but I do not think I will get any answer.

Ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 436 Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by costa.cpf View Post

A firmware update could correct the above issues. I emailed Hakan but, unfortunately, he said that he does not own this player so that we are left by ourselves, without the great help of him. I also emailed Pioneer but I do not think I will get any answer.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Don't worry. I contacted Hakan too, he said he does not own the player but as soon as he gets the firmware on our players, he can help us.

He also kindly offered to send me a ground isolated RS-232 serial cable so I can solder it to my player board and get the firmware out of it and send it to him so he can work on it.

So, WE ARE NOT LEFT BY OURSELVES

It may take several months, but eventually happens. Don't worry that much just wait a bit.

Regards...
post #33 of 436 Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I can tell what internal components are in a player based on the amount of and/or different types of artifacts. However, I do have a sight condition which prohibits me from working inside players, otherwise I'd be more than happy to retrieve firmware and send it to Hakan so he can work on it. If you can get this Pioneer to do what the Philips can do, why would you prefer the Pioneer over the Philips?
post #34 of 436 Old 08-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

I can tell what internal components are in a player based on the amount of and/or different types of artifacts. However, I do have a sight condition which prohibits me from working inside players, otherwise I'd be more than happy to retrieve firmware and send it to Hakan so he can work on it. If you can get this Pioneer to do what the Philips can do, why would you prefer the Pioneer over the Philips?

Philips are not DivX Home Theater Version 3 certified. They are DivX Ultra Certified. I believe Version 3 is newer and that is the reason I chose Pioneer over Yamaha and Philips.

Don't worry I am going to order all the parts I need for the data cable and soldering sockets tomorrow so they will be here next week and I send the firmware to Hakan as soon as possible.
post #35 of 436 Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

Philips are not DivX Home Theater Version 3 certified. They are DivX Ultra Certified. I believe Version 3 is newer and that is the reason I chose Pioneer over Yamaha and Philips.

Don't worry I am going to order all the parts I need for the data cable and soldering sockets tomorrow so they will be here next week and I send the firmware to Hakan as soon as possible.

I like Pioneer better than Philips because Pioneer seems to use disc mechanisms that last longer, better DACs, and a heavier build quality, as well as the HDMI 480i ability. The joint venture with Sharp has me scared that Pioneer isn't going to stick with their design standards as of 2004.
post #36 of 436 Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I like Pioneer better than Philips because Pioneer seems to use disc mechanisms that last longer, better DACs, and a heavier build quality, as well as the HDMI 480i ability. The joint venture with Sharp has me scared that Pioneer isn't going to stick with their design standards as of 2004.

Those are good reasons but when you think about the price of $90 for a player and the fact that they are all going to be obsolete in 3 years, I really don't care about mechanical quality. Maybe Pioneer has think the same and lowered the quality.

All of these technologies are going to be replaced with a single HTPC in coming years, Intel just shouldn't be this greedy and make some cheap CPUs for that matter. If you can make a HTPC with SSD hard drives and a CPU that can handle decent 1080p under $200, who needs Players anymore?
post #37 of 436 Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 AM

The Philips 3380 is a DVD recorded. It stays in my bedrom. It is a good player, however it is 480p and does not have HDMI outputs. My wife uses it mainly for recording tv programs, etc.

In my home theater I have a Pioneer VSH1019 and a LG 47 1080p, thus, I wanted a player that would match with the receiver so that I could you the Kurolink.

The Pioneer DV 420v is a good player. It gives you a very good control of the picture quality and a nice upscaling to 1080p, besided the fact that it "eats" almost all kind of medias and divx formats.

The problems, under my perception, as I mentioned above, are related to the size of the subtitles and the design of the browser.

I must say that you guys let me very happy with the possibility of upgrading the firmware of the DV 420v. I really hope that you can get the firmware out of it and together with Hakan succeed on improving it. I almost cannot wait to see the results.

As mentioned, I sent an email to Pioneer Japan (in English) during the last weekend. I did not expect to get any response from them. However, yesterday, I received an email from Pioneer Brazil, saying that they had received my email and they had forward it to the competent experts of Pioneer. Let´s see what will happen next...
post #38 of 436 Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

When I created this thread, I would have called it "The Pioneer SDDVD 2009 Lineup," but at the time, it appeared that the 420 was going to be Pioneer's only SD player for this year. Anyway ... According to Pioneer of Thailand (the place where these players are manufactured), none of these players can output DTS via 2-channel analog. Is this a firmware limitation? If it's a hardware limitation, then it looks like Pioneer is going down in quality. I hope it's just a firmware limitation.
post #39 of 436 Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 PM

I purchased this DVD player primarily for its ability to play media files through the USB port. It works great on all AVIs I've tried at 480i resolution. On anything higher, it says "Resolution not supported" although I do have a 720p set. Does anyone know if it is capable of playing higher resolution media files, whether AVI or otherwise?
post #40 of 436 Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:

When I created this thread, I would have called it "The Pioneer SDDVD 2009 Lineup," but at the time, it appeared that the 420 was going to be Pioneer's only SD player for this year. Anyway ... According to Pioneer of Thailand (the place where these players are manufactured), none of these players can output DTS via 2-channel analog. Is this a firmware limitation? If it's a hardware limitation, then it looks like Pioneer is going down in quality. I hope it's just a firmware limitation.

Pioneer is going down no matter what. I am not satisfied with this player but since I got it from Amazon (no retail store had it) I cannot return it. I paid the full $89.00 price too!!

It does play DivX! That is all it is good for and I don't need to attach my laptop to the TV every time I download something. But for the music, it is just not made for music. I am thinking about changing my Marantz SR-5004 order to SR-6004 to cover USB music! But that is about $350 more bucks.

I don't care about analog DTS since I will use HDMI cables but good to know what else this player sacrifices to lower the price. I preferred paying $120 and get something nicer instead of this xxxx.
post #41 of 436 Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Pioneer is going down no matter what. I am not satisfied with this player but since I got it from Amazon (no retail store had it) I cannot return it. I paid the full $89.00 price too!!

It does play DivX! That is all it is good for and I don't need to attach my laptop to the TV every time I download something. But for the music, it is just not made for music. I am thinking about changing my Marantz SR-5004 order to SR-6004 to cover USB music! But that is about $350 more bucks.

I don't care about analog DTS since I will use HDMI cables but good to know what else this player sacrifices to lower the price. I preferred paying $120 and get something nicer instead of this xxxx.

According to the Pioneer of Thailand DVD page, they still appear to be manufacturing the DV-LX50 (the Pioneer Elite DV-58AV in the US) and the DV-610AV (the Pioneer Elite DV-49AV in the US). If you want a good USB player, the DV-49AV is currently available at Your Electronic Warehouse and Vanns. If you don't need USB, the DV-58AV is available at Vanns.
post #42 of 436 Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:

According to the Pioneer of Thailand DVD page, they still appear to be manufacturing the DV-LX50 (the Pioneer Elite DV-58AV in the US) and the DV-610AV (the Pioneer Elite DV-49AV in the US). If you want a good USB player, the DV-49AV is currently available at Your Electronic Warehouse and Vanns. If you don't need USB, the DV-58AV is available at Vanns.

Thanks for the info. I am not sure but none of the previous models are DivX Home Theater Version 3 certified. I guess they are all DivX Ultra certified which is older. The good thing about DV-420 is Version 3 certification.
post #43 of 436 Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I am not sure but none of the previous models are DivX Home Theater Version 3 certified. I guess they are all DivX Ultra certified which is older. The good thing about DV-420 is Version 3 certification.

I'm not into DivX, but regardless, I think Pioneer should replace their DV-610AV with a DV-620AV so SACD users can also take advantage of the new DivX if they want to. Also, it would be cool for the DV-800AV/LX50/58AV to get a replacement that adds USB and the new DivX. I love my older Pioneer 5-disc DVD receiver and my Pioneer Elite DV-58AV so much that I don't want to think that if Pioneer really does form the dreaded joint venture with Sharp, we'll never see newer Pioneer universal SDDVD players again, unless they somehow make a player just like the DV-58AV that adds Blu-ray, 7.1-channel analog output, HDMI 1.3A, USB, and the new DivX.
post #44 of 436 Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is the new project: http://www.labtek.it/aurora.html It is a up hotted 610. Here is more of an older player: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/l...exclusive.html

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
post #45 of 436 Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

This is the new project: http://www.labtek.it/aurora.html It is a up hotted 610. Here is more of an older player: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/l...exclusive.html

5000 euro??

In search of universal players, if we rule out SACD, Dune plays almost everything else including x264.

http://dune-hd.com/index.php?do=players

BTW, I am going to receive the parts next week, so I can send you the firmware of 420 soon.
post #46 of 436 Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

5000 euro??

In search of universal players, if we rule out SACD, Dune plays almost everything else including x264.

http://dune-hd.com/index.php?do=players

BTW, I am going to receive the parts next week, so I can send you the firmware of 420 soon.

I can't tell if Hakan meant it's the next project as far as Pioneer players are concerned, or if he meant that he plans on taking part in this project and won't have time to work on firmwares for our players for a while. As far as matters concerning Pioneer Corporation, I noticed that the Pioneer Electronics Asiacentre website has no menssion of Pioneer's restructuring. Being that they're a manufacturing plant, as well as an Asian distributor, could it be that they might buy the rights to that player design from Japan and go into business for themselves under a different name once Pioneer forms the joint venture with Sharp?
post #47 of 436 Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM

Hi all.

I bought my Pioneer 420 a few months ago and I love it. I've got a 1TB HD attached to the front USB and it plays .avi's flawlessly after formatting it to FAT32.
I have two issues with it that I would love to see remedied somehow....

#1. The file name size in the GUI of the USB menu is way too short....I think it's only 13 characters which sucks for TV shows etc. There are 2 big "windows" in the menu but the one on the right is useless, except for taking up half the screen. Is there any way to get the menu to to show more characters?

#2. It can't play the X264 HD codec which would be very sweet.

Thanks in advance.
post #48 of 436 Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM

I got the 420 to replace a Philips - as I only watch DIVX avi's.

When a disk is ejected or turned-off, this is supposed to 'remember' where I last left off - but when I put the disk back in, it starts at the beginning of the first AVI file on it. Tried hitting play once it loaded - same effect.

Anyone else try to use this function?
post #49 of 436 Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataport View Post

I got the 420 to replace a Philips - as I only watch DIVX avi's.

When a disk is ejected or turned-off, this is supposed to 'remember' where I last left off - but when I put the disk back in, it starts at the beginning of the first AVI file on it. Tried hitting play once it loaded - same effect.

Anyone else try to use this function?

I dont think this function works on DivX, only DVD!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #50 of 436 Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I dont think this function works on DivX, only DVD!

I tried that on DivX files on USB and it doesn't work. When you turn off, it will forget where you have been in the movie.

It also turns itself off when you press STOP once and wait too long to get back to the system (also forgets where movie was after this auto power off).

BTW, what's wrong with VFD and clock calculations!?!! It shows 65:33, 75:45, 85:55, why they did not make it like normal DVD players, like 01:05:33, 01:15:45, 01:25:55.
post #51 of 436 Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM

This model advertised it would 'remember' where you left off for up to 5 DVD's, and I (mistakenly?) believed it would be 5 avi's on a single disk also. I tried it with both a burned disk and USB - neither worked.

I did disable the auto turn-off feature - so that it will hold where I'm at when I press Stop....but now concerned about any HW issues of leaving it on like this for hours/days before I resume where I was at.

Is anyone aware of any mfg/model that truly 'remembers' where you left off in a DIVX/AVI file?
post #52 of 436 Old 09-05-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I realize it's a way of protecting some TV screens, but it can make you lose your place if you get interupted due to a long phonecall or something. It's happened to me a lot with my players. I'm glad the 420 gives you the choice to enable or disable it. It would be cool if this feature could be added to all the other Pioneer MediaTek MT1389-based players.
post #53 of 436 Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Can anyone share their dvd PICTURE SETTINGS please!
post #54 of 436 Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM

To list more problems for this player, after using it for about a month and watching over 30 DivX movies, I have found that in 90% of the time when you rewind or fast forward the movie, the sound will be out of sync with video and there is absolutely no way to fix this!!

Even if you turn the player off, turn it on and use SEARCH function to go to exact time like 20 minutes, it still will be out of sync! The only way is to watch the video from start!! You can leave it on for 20 minutes (or whatever) until it gets to the point you want!!

Anyway, it was one more thing to share.
post #55 of 436 Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM

After FF or FR you should press pause and then play instead for just play

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #56 of 436 Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:

After FF or FR you should press pause and then play instead for just play

I tried that plus pressing STOP once and then PLAY again. Nothing works. In 90% of the time you need to play the movie from the start to reach the point you wanted.
post #57 of 436 Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

The original and multi-region versions of YKB9326C are finally available! Once you install the multi-region version, remember to hold the ENTER key until the player turns off in order to actually set it to multi-region.
post #58 of 436 Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:

The original and multi-region versions of YKB9326C are finally available! Once you install the multi-region version, remember to hold the ENTER key until the player turns off in order to actually set it to multi-region.

And a little birdy told me the easy modified firmware should be available sometime next week, so fingers crossed.

BTW, the multiregion firmware runs very good, I installed it yesterday and I do not see the out of sync problem with soundtrack and movie anymore.
post #59 of 436 Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Don't try this unless Hakan sent you the cables and you know how to bring the player back to life. This may not work. The firmware for the DV-400, 410, 600, 610, 48, and 49 are all compatible with all the players I just mentioned, plus or minus a few features. If you know how to bring your player back to life, it would be fun just for the heck of it to try installing YJC8919A StM V2.0 for the DV-610AV, keeping the CD-to-USB capability, while adding DVD-A/SACD compatibility (via HDMI at least). If all the 420's analog and digital audio outputs, as well as the rest of the player, work correctly, then Hakan doesn't really need to make an StM for the 420. If you try this, remember to change YJC8919A to YKB8919A. Good luck. Have fun. And most important, be careful. Don't try it if you don't know CPR for DVD players--LOL!
post #60 of 436 Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Don't try this unless Hakan sent you the cables and you know how to bring the player back to life. This may not work. The firmware for the DV-400, 410, 600, 610, 48, and 49 are all compatible with all the players I just mentioned, plus or minus a few features. If you know how to bring your player back to life, it would be fun just for the heck of it to try installing YJC8919A StM V2.0 for the DV-610AV, keeping the CD-to-USB capability, while adding DVD-A/SACD compatibility (via HDMI at least). If all the 420's analog and digital audio outputs, as well as the rest of the player, work correctly, then Hakan doesn't really need to make an StM for the 420. If you try this, remember to change YJC8919A to YKB8919A. Good luck. Have fun. And most important, be careful. Don't try it if you don't know CPR for DVD players--LOL!

I told you I will get the cable

Don't worry I made the cable from Hakan instructions and it really rocks. (one minor thing is that you need to use MTKTool v.2.45.03 because version 1.31 does save the firmware incorrectly and in 1 MB size not the correct 2MB)

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/d...on=Dead_Player

Really, you can load DV-610 into DV-420?? Hakan told me they changed many things in the new firmware so maybe DV420 has better divx handling and support. Also DV610 and DV420 use different flash and MTK so I am not so sure about it.

I don't have any DVD Audio to test but it is good to know it is an option. I really only care about MP3 shuffle and next/previous album/folder functionality which the prior is not an easy thing to do I guess.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page