The Pioneer DV-420V Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 436 Old 09-26-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

Thanks for the info. Maybe I try it again for smaller items later. I once tried to return a 40" Sony XBR LCD TV with no luck and gave up. I even had a good reason because of very bad White Clouds in dark scenes but they only did pass me to the manufacturer. Funny thing is the Amazon representative gave Samsung customer service phone number for my Sony LCD TV at first

If you made it region-free, install the pioneerfaq firmware, hold CLEAR until the player turns off, and then install the factory version of YKB9326C. Now the player has been restored to factory condition and as long as you pack up all the accessories, Amazon should have no problems taking it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 436 Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

If you made it region-free, install the pioneerfaq firmware, hold CLEAR until the player turns off, and then install the factory version of YKB9326C. Now the player has been restored to factory condition and as long as you pack up all the accessories, Amazon should have no problems taking it back.

Thanks man, no I stick with this one since I solder a cable to the main board. I would be glad if I could return the Sony BDP-S360 but it has passed 3 months so no problem. Next time I search more before I pull the trigger and I never buy Sony players again

BTW, the 420 plays all kind of DivX I've tried, so for DivX it is a keeper. It does not do well on mp3, but still a good player for DVD and DivX.
post #93 of 436 Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how many files the Pioneer 420v will recognize via USB through my 1TB LaCie external hard drive? I put a few Divx's on it and it played great but then I put a whole bunch (200 GBs) worth of Divx's on it and now the GUI interface won't load. It constantly reads "loading" but the drive isn't "spinning" anymore. I tried my thumb drive that's only 4GB and it works fine but it won't read my hard drive. Is there a size limit? Thanks.

(I feel like I'm highjacking this thread but it seems like all questions related to the Pioneer 420V are in this thread...sorry if I am highjacking )
post #94 of 436 Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam99 View Post

Does anyone know how many files the Pioneer 420v will recognize via USB through my 1TB LaCie external hard drive? I put a few Divx's on it and it played great but then I put a whole bunch (200 GBs) worth of Divx's on it and now the GUI interface won't load. It constantly reads "loading" but the drive isn't "spinning" anymore. I tried my thumb drive that's only 4GB and it works fine but it won't read my hard drive. Is there a size limit? Thanks.

(I feel like I'm highjacking this thread but it seems like all questions related to the Pioneer 420V are in this thread...sorry if I am highjacking )

I don't know if it works, but you can try making some parent folders/categories and put your movies into them, maybe it loads faster.

For example, make some folders like Actions, 2008, 2009 and Comedy in the main root folder and then divide your DivX files into them.
post #95 of 436 Old 09-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I don’t know if it works, but you can try making some parent folders/categories and put your movies into them, maybe it loads faster.

For example, make some folders like Actions, 2008, 2009 and Comedy in the main root folder and then divide your DivX files into them.

Hi Lost!
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, I've tried that and it still gets stuck on "loading".
I've got one folder with 100 .avi's and then 15 .avi's not in any folders.
.edit - I checked it's properties and I have 287 files, 103 folders. Is there a better way to sort them that may be playable?
I know the hard drive works as I tried it with only a few .avi's on it but when I load it up it gets stuck. FYI - I did make sure it was formatted to FAT32.

Another problem I've been having is viewing .avi's with AC3 audio via the USB on my jump drive. It show up in the GUI but when I press play it says "play" on the screen but doesn't go through the usual "loading 20%... etc.", it just hangs on "play". Does this player not support AC3 divx's or xvid's?
post #96 of 436 Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:

.edit - I checked it's properties and I have 287 files, 103 folders. Is there a better way to sort them that may be playable?

What I meant is to limit the Root folders and any child folders to max 15 to 20 folders. i.e. Action->A-D and Action->E-H something like that and don't store more than 15 to 20 files in each folder. Or, just make 26 folder in the Root, A to Z and from there sort everything... Maybe it works.

Quote:

Another problem I've been having is viewing .avi's with AC3 audio via the USB on my jump drive. It show up in the GUI but when I press play it says "play" on the screen but doesn't go through the usual "loading 20%... etc.", it just hangs on "play". Does this player not support AC3 divx's or xvid's?

I can confirm it plays AC3, I have played a couple of DivX files with AC3 and 5 channel audio with no problem. Maybe your DivX file has problems.
post #97 of 436 Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I noticed similar behaviour on large avi files (~1.4Gb). However it does play! It just takes a minute or two to start playing. I think it is having a problem with the large index (I notice my USB hard drive is being accessed continually for that whole time).

Perhaps try playing this file and wait a few minutes.

This is on stock firmware.
post #98 of 436 Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:

What I meant is to limit the Root folders and any child folders to max 15 to 20 folders. i.e. Action->A-D and Action->E-H something like that and don't store more than 15 to 20 files in each folder. Or, just make 26 folder in the Root, A to Z and from there sort everything... Maybe it works.

Thanks for the advice Lost! That worked like a charm....I created seperate folders with only 15 sub folders in each and low and behold the GUI now works like it did before. I would've never thought of that. Thanks!

Quote:

I can confirm it plays AC3, I have played a couple of DivX files with AC3 and 5 channel audio with no problem. Maybe your DivX file has problems.

Actually you're right....a lot of the files I have are in AC3 (I double checked). I had 3 files not play before but I deleted them. If I get one that doesn't play again I'll post my findings as I think they may have had too high of a resolution.

Thanks for all your help.
post #99 of 436 Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Is there a image quality difference between the DV-410V/420V and the DV-610V? They seem to have a little different chipsets (and from what I can gather the AV-610V is basically the DV-49AV). There's one on Amazon.com that just a little more than the DV-420V and plays all regions. If its image quality is better it would make sense to go for that.
post #100 of 436 Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 AM

Thanks.

HVS online gaming. Laser XD104VR.
post #101 of 436 Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

@geverdix: Is there anyway you can save the firmware from your player?

I've no idea...

Quote:

If downloading the pioneerfaq firmware, you only need to change YKB to YKF once. After that, you can install firmware under YKB. I think I said change YKF to YKB. That was wrong! You should change YKB to YKF.

Thank you very much
post #102 of 436 Old 09-28-2009, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You can have up to 299 folder and a total of 648 files and folders toghter. (Folder + files= 648).

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
post #103 of 436 Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:

You can have up to 299 folder and a total of 648 files and folders together. (Folder + files= 648).

Thanks for the info as I can see myself pushing the limits of the player's capabilities. Is this information listed somewhere or did you find out by testing it?
post #104 of 436 Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 AM

Thank you Hkan! The 1.1 firmware works pretty well. The subtitle font has a very good size and the full browser capability (i.e., it is possible now to read the full name of the file) is a great improvement. Once again! Thanks!
post #105 of 436 Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM

My unit hangs during some DivX files playback and no button including ON/OFF buttons work. The only way to get it back online is to disconnect the power cord and reconnect again.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Is there a way to force Player to shut down itself? (holding a key or combination of keys or something)
post #106 of 436 Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM

I don't think I have had my 420 lock up. I have had a few files that will not play right but no hard lockups. Even when playing large .avi files that take quite a while to start I can still power the unit down.

If you have a file you want me to try (to make sure it isn't your unit) upload it to one of those free file hosting places and I will test it for you.
post #107 of 436 Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell_ View Post

I don't think I have had my 420 lock up. I have had a few files that will not play right but no hard lockups. Even when playing large .avi files that take quite a while to start I can still power the unit down.

If you have a file you want me to try (to make sure it isn't your unit) upload it to one of those free file hosting places and I will test it for you.

Thank you bbell_. I already deleted those which locked up the unit but as soon as I reach a new one I will send the URL.
post #108 of 436 Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

Hakan finally released *URL* the enhanced firmware! You can see what features it has by looking at the ReadMe file. I have a feeling that this will be the last new SD player from Pioneer, and the last new player Hakan will be able to work with. So if you like Pioneer SD players, Hakan's firmware, or both, you better get moving and grab one of these babies! Of course, CES is four months away. So we'll see if this will truely be Pioneer's last SD player or not.

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but can I use this to make my dv 420 that I purchased in Canada multi-region?
post #109 of 436 Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunshrb View Post

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but can I use this to make my dv 420 that I purchased in Canada multi-region?

Yes. Remember that once you have installed the enhanced firmware, you must hold the ENTER key next to the 0 until the player turns off. Good luck!
post #110 of 436 Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Yes. Remember that once you have installed the enhanced firmware, you must hold the ENTER key next to the 0 until the player turns off. Good luck!

Worked a treat! Cheers.
post #111 of 436 Old 10-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Sorry for jacking this thread but I have a technical issue since upgrading to 1.1

Everything works except 1 minor issue so far, when i turn on my player the image starts to flicker, but by pressing home menu it goes back to normal right away and doesnt give the same problem until reset.

While its not a major problem is there a way around this or am I stuck with it until a new update?
post #112 of 436 Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 AM

You could try this:
In OFF mode, press and hold the STOP button while you press STANDBY/ON, it's the buttons on the player it self to be used.

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #113 of 436 Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks Hkan for the quick reply but sadly, no, that did not help.

You did give me an idea however and I held the >> button while powering up ( force ntsc )? and that worked like a charm! No more flickery image!

Thanks so much! and btw! love the new gui!
post #114 of 436 Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 AM

lol, actually that didnt work either, it seems that the reset worked once but when i powered it off the problem was there again... oh well. I will wait for a new update haha.
post #115 of 436 Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM

I've got a couple of Xvid's that the player doesn't want to play via USB. It just says "play" on the screen for #1, the hard drive is spinning but I left it there for 5 minutes and nothing happened. For #2 is says "resolution not supported".
Here's the properties of the files:
#1.
File size: 3.09GB
Width:720
Height:304
Bitrate:448kbps
Frame rate:23frames/second
Data rate:2888kbps
#2.
File size: 2.39GB
Width:1280
Height:544
Bitrate:448kbps
Frame rate:23frames/second
Data rate:3315kbps

I'm trying to see what the player will handle and what it won't. I d/l'ed the manual and it doesn't say what it will play and what it won't. Does anyone know why it won't play these? Does anyone know the max rates it will play?
Thanks.
post #116 of 436 Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 AM

#2 Maximum resolution: 720x576
The file your trying to play is 1280x544

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #117 of 436 Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:

#2 Maximum resolution: 720x576
The file your trying to play is 1280x544

Hi Hkan,

Have you tested this?

Three weeks ago I played Watchmen BDRip with the player. It took the player 3 full minutes to start playing (froze for a good 3 min) but finally it did play. The file was over 2GB but I am not sure what the resolution was. It was pretty high though.
post #118 of 436 Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:

... the hard drive is spinning but I left it there for 5 minutes and nothing happened.

I played 2+ GB file but it took 3+ minutes and my USB flash drive is at 28MB/sec read speed. So for hard drive, it may take a little longer, maybe 10 minutes since your file is over 3 GB. Once it begins to play, it won't freeze anymore.
post #119 of 436 Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 AM

I got a problem whyle updating my firmware:
my version is YKB9326c
and my region is 1

When I burn the YKB9326c.bin files on a cd following Hakan instruction in the readme file, and I put it in the Pionner dv-420 it's say : cant play disc

My firmware is not updated at all so I tryed the version 1.0 and the 1.1 and the same result occurs.

I also dont understand the manip of changing the YKB9326c to YFB9326c

If my original firmware is YKB9326c do I need to change anything to the downloaded .bin files? I dont know if it affect my dvd player because like I said it cant see the play the cd-rom or dvd (I tryed both CD-R n DVD+R)

Both it on october 2009 in Canada.
post #120 of 436 Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 AM

I tryed to burn the YKB9326C.BIN on a cd or dvd
I also try to rename the YKB9326C.BIN to YKF9326C.BIN and burn it on a cd n dvd but its always say cant play the disc,

Im really clue less, if someone can help me. I try to put a normal cd audio and it work fine so my dvd is "working".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page