The Pioneer DV-420V Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 436 Old 02-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, adding files to a partially-filled disk. The DV-420v does a really great job of reading DV-RW disks burned that way, but can't see past the first "session" on DV-Rs. Also, it works just fine with any DV-R I've burned as a data disk. No problems there at all. I'll just have to change my habits . The Panasonic being replaced by the 420 had just the opposite behavior. It read multi-session DV-Rs perfectly, but really choked on DV-RW multisessions, sometimes with constant stops and freezes to the point I'd have to turn the player off and back on to recover. It didn't manage layer switching on DVD-9 double-layer disks very well either, often just freezing at the switching point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 436 Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need a beta tester! Becosue the USB dont work when I load the DV-420V firmware on to my DV-400V. It's good if you know how to relive your player!
Not that it will kill your player, but you never know!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
post #183 of 436 Old 02-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Considering purchasing the 420V-K for the USB function. I plan to use it for pic slide shows and home video as well.

The manual says it supports JPEG to 3072 X 2048 pixels, which=6 megapixels...

My question is I have a 12.1megapixel camera. Will I be able to show my pics via USB? Will they be shown as if they are 6megapixels or not at all?

This could be a real deal breaker...

Any other advice on USB enabled upconverting DVD players? Only other one I can find that fits my needs is the Yamaha S-661.

Thoughts are welcome, thanks!!!
post #184 of 436 Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Just one question. Any of you have tested if the new firm STM V2.0 fix the darkness problem by hdmi?

Anyway, thanks a million to the developers!
post #185 of 436 Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholdred View Post

Just one question. Any of you have tested if the new firm STM V2.0 fix the darkness problem by hdmi?

Anyway, thanks a million to the developers!

I can not upgrade the firmware on my 420. I have tried everything and all I get is a "can not read cd". I have heard rumors that the newer North American 420s can not be upgraded and it looks like it is true. I bought mine in Feb. 2010.
post #186 of 436 Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM

Your error could mean that your not burning the disc in the correct way.
The lable of the disc must be PIONEER <-- must be in CAPITAL letters.
Also the firmware name must be in CAPITAL leeters, even the BIN.

Also did you match the firmware name to your player?
If you have a US player your firmware name is something like: YKB9326C
The StM V2.0 is based on the European firmware version that has the name of: YKF9930A

So to be able to install it, remember that all firmware installations are done on your own sole risk, you need to rename it.
So rename the firmware to YKB9930A.BIN and all should be ok to install it.

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #187 of 436 Old 02-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Want to purchase the 420V-K because I like the usability of the USB port for my kids/wife to look at pics and thumbdrive stuff but have 1 question...

If I put 12 megapixel pics on a thumbdrive will I be able to play them on this machine? It says it will support JPEG=6 megapixels but I am confused. Will my pics be displayed as 6 megapixels or not at all?

Does anyone have any experience with pics and using the USB with the 420V-K?

If I can't display my 12 megapixel pics, should I just choose a better DVD player like the Yamaha S1800 and forget about the USB since my new TV will have a USB port???

Thanks for the advice?
post #188 of 436 Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

Your error could mean that your not burning the disc in the correct way.
The lable of the disc must be PIONEER <-- must be in CAPITAL letters.
Also the firmware name must be in CAPITAL leeters, even the BIN.

Also did you match the firmware name to your player?
If you have a US player your firmware name is something like: YKB9326C
The StM V2.0 is based on the European firmware version that has the name of: YKF9930A

So to be able to install it, remember that all firmware installations are done on your own sole risk, you need to rename it.
So rename the firmware to YKB9930A.BIN and all should be ok to install it.

That worked, but now when I turn on my dvd player I get a message that says "mode not supported"
Never mind I did not have my tv type set to ntsc. All is good so far.
How can I check that it is now region free?
The screen saver says Pioneer ntsc<-- in tiny letters.
I checked the firmware ver. and it is YKF9930A but is say region 1 and I did do the hold the ENTER key until unit turns off.
post #189 of 436 Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 AM

If the player did turn it self off when you did hold the enter button it is now multiregional.
How ever it will still say the original region in the OSD menus.
Only way to test to see if it is multiregional is to try a disc from another region!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #190 of 436 Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

If the player did turn it self off when you did hold the enter button it is now multiregional.
How ever it will still say the original region in the OSD menus.
Only way to test to see if it is multiregional is to try a disc from another region!

Yes, the player did turn itself off when I held the enter button.
Thanx.
post #191 of 436 Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM

So just to make sure, the StM 2.0 firmware is fine for North American DV-420V units as long as the firmware is renamed to YKB9930A.BIN, correct

I don't want to end up with a PAL output only player (I am using the composite outputs), or a brick
post #192 of 436 Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell_ View Post

So just to make sure, the StM 2.0 firmware is fine for North American DV-420V units as long as the firmware is renamed to YKB9930A.BIN, correct

I don't want to end up with a PAL output only player (I am using the composite outputs), or a brick

I use StM firmware on U.S. models via Composite as well. Change YKF9930A.BIN to YKB9930A.BIN. Be sure to select NTSC as the TV Type in the Video Output menu.
post #193 of 436 Old 03-04-2010, 06:12 AM

Ok, I upgraded my North American with StM 2.0 and had no problems.

It doesn't seem to me that the factory firmware version increase from 9326C to 9930A does much. Still have problems with VBR audio AVI's for instance (and I notice these are becoming more and more common). This may be a problem with the chipset and not something a firmware can fix.

As far as the StM upgrade, I notice the stuck blue status bar is now fixed, which is really nice. And I did turn on the Fast Play option which sounds like a useful option (perhaps the new firmware made this possible).

One issue I do notice is when browsing a USB is I don't seem to see the full 42 characters in the browser window. It seems to be cut off about half way across the screen. I am fairly sure StM 1.1 showed longer filenames. Anyone else notice this?

By the way, in order to sort the directories in the file browser window, I use the following utility from time to time on my USB device.

http://fatsort.berlios.de/ -- Linux
or
http://hem.passagen.se/chsw/fatsort/index.html -- Windows

This sorts the physical directories on the device, so that everything is sorted when you are browsing.
post #194 of 436 Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM

I haven't changed the firmware on my player....using whatever it came with. If I upgrade to StM 2.0 firmware will the GUI on the USB list the entire file name instead of only 14 characters?

Also, has anyone else be having trouble playing .avi's off of their USB stick/HDD? Last week my player started acting up and I'm seeing a pattern....Whenever I play a file off of either my 4GB USB stick or my 1TB External HD it will play fine for about 20 minutes and then stops and it goes back to the GUI menu by itself and I have to start the file over again and FF to the place it shut itself down and then it plays the rest of the way without issue. It's getting really irritating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #195 of 436 Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Just purchased the dv-420v-k pioneer dvd, I am putting my home movies on dvd, the first one sound all messed up and video seems a bit fast, I am converting from avi to wmv using AVS video converter, Any help to stream line this process would be great
post #196 of 436 Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 AM

HELP!!
Hi, can anyone tell me how many sub directories this model supports when reading from usb? I have a large music collection which I have stored on a External HDD. If I for example store the music in:
G:\\Coldplay\\Parachutes\\sparks.mp3 The file will play.
However, if I store it as:
G:\\C-D\\Coldplay\\Parachutes\\sparks.mp3 it will not play.
Is this correct or should it be possible to play in both instances and if so, how do I make the second example work?
Many thanks
post #197 of 436 Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Ack...I updated my U.S. 420v-k with StM 2.0...after several attempts. Most of the time it would only say "Can't Play CD". Finally it worked. Then I had read somewhere that I should use a program called FatSort...I forgot to remove from the USB-thumbdrive before putting in the player. After I did this the player's diplays jumps over and over again. I sent back to Amazon as defective. My question. Was it a bad unit in the first place or the the Fatsort executible do it? I tried several times to change the firmware back to the original to no avail. I'm kinda hesitant to upgrade it on the replacement device (I will get it tomorrow).
post #198 of 436 Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 AM

I am using the 2.0 firmware on my north american unit and have no problems.

Leaving other files on the USB stick (with your media) will not hurt, it will only display files it recognizes.

I suspect the unit was flaky -- if you were having issues with the firmware upgrade reading the disk it may have a problem -- and it may have corrupted the firmware upgrade.

Did your unit simply stop working? Or was it only having a problem with that particular USB stick?

When you receive your replacement unit, give it a bit of testing on the stock firmware before upgrading. This way you can be sure of the hardware.

As far as the fatsort app goes, you can use it to sort the files on your USB media so that they are displayed in alphabetical order by the file browser. You don't need the firmware upgrade to take advantage of this (although the browser in StM 2.0 is much nicer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeNNethX View Post

My question. Was it a bad unit in the first place or the the Fatsort executible do it? I tried several times to change the firmware back to the original to no avail. I'm kinda hesitant to upgrade it on the replacement device (I will get it tomorrow).

post #199 of 436 Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Thanks. Got the 2nd player and it updated with not problems. I did have the display freak out again when playing from USB...realized that is must have been setting BNR on. Did a factory reset and all was well....good to know, don't use BNR. My only disappointment is long filenames only work on disc, not on usb...but that is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell_ View Post

I am using the 2.0 firmware on my north american unit and have no problems.

Leaving other files on the USB stick (with your media) will not hurt, it will only display files it recognizes.

I suspect the unit was flaky -- if you were having issues with the firmware upgrade reading the disk it may have a problem -- and it may have corrupted the firmware upgrade.

Did your unit simply stop working? Or was it only having a problem with that particular USB stick?

When you receive your replacement unit, give it a bit of testing on the stock firmware before upgrading. This way you can be sure of the hardware.

As far as the fatsort app goes, you can use it to sort the files on your USB media so that they are displayed in alphabetical order by the file browser. You don't need the firmware upgrade to take advantage of this (although the browser in StM 2.0 is much nicer).

post #200 of 436 Old 03-20-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
HELP!!
Hi, can anyone tell me how many sub directories this model supports when reading from usb? I have a large music collection which I have stored on a External HDD. If I for example store the music in:
Is this correct or should it be possible to play in both instances and if so, how do I make the second example work?
Many thanks

Anyone?
post #201 of 436 Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fox1 View Post

HELP!!
Many thanks

Both should play withut any problems!
You could try a reset of the player!
remove any disc/USB from the player.
Turn it off.
Press and hold the STOP button and then press STANDBY/ON button, it's the buttons on the player it self to be used!

Also remember there is a limit on how many folders and file it can display!
What firmware version are you using?

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #202 of 436 Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
What firmware version are you using?

Just updated to the latest StM 2.0. Have tried a reset but no luck.

Quote:
Also remember there is a limit on how many folders and file it can display!

Can you just expand a little on the folder/file structure number limitation please?

Many thanks
post #203 of 436 Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM

You can have up to 299 folder and a total of 648 files and folders toghter. (Folder + files= 648).

If you have problem get that hard drive to work on the USB you could use this program,SMDK_FAT32, to format the drive correctly and here is the instructions on how to use it: Instructions Format

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #204 of 436 Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 AM

My player Region is 3 and Version is YKB9326C.

I want the player to be region free, show more char in filename and the menu to should be in english.

Is StM V2.0 firmware only for players having current version as YKF9930A or can i also install it ?

wat is CP1251 and CP1252 both have English mentioned which one should i install ?
post #205 of 436 Old 04-04-2010, 01:42 PM

First of all Hakan, thank you very much for doing this and helping so many out. I truly appreciate you efforts and time. This thread has been mighty helpful.

Unfortunately, it didn't help me fix the problem I was hoping it would (I have extended version of Kingdom of Heaven that won't play after 130min mark, goes back to menu GUI); but that's OK.

I upgraded the firmware (with zero issues) to the StM V2.0 just to see the new Pioneer Logo so many have been raving about and to enhance the menu support past the 14 characters that are currently allowed. The new GUI looks great!!! Sadly however, the labeling doesn't seem to go past 14 characters. There is plenty of room in the GUI but the names are just cut off. Any ideas on this?
post #206 of 436 Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Removed the support for long file names in USB mode due to too many problems that it would not read the USB memory correct!
USB mode should read at least 24(?) chars in file name!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #207 of 436 Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Released new version, V2.1 that has the long file name support in USB mode.
It seems to work, but USB reading is a little bit slow!?!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #208 of 436 Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM

Hi,

Just bought a DV-420V US version, StM v1.1. I love this DVD player.

The only thing that really annoys me is when I play a DVD, the On-Screen Display "Play" (light blue color) stays there *all* the time.

Very annoying..indeed. Does anyone know of how to get rid of this?

I was able to get rid of it by going to the DVD player's Initial Settings -> Display -> Turn On-Screen Display "Off"

However, that also removes all of the On-screen display! (e.g. when I want to change the subtitle, I have no clue which one I'm on, etc...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!
post #209 of 436 Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaChris23 View Post

Hi,

Just bought a DV-420V US version, StM v1.1. I love this DVD player.

The only thing that really annoys me is when I play a DVD, the On-Screen Display "Play" (light blue color) stays there *all* the time.

Very annoying..indeed. Does anyone know of how to get rid of this?

I was able to get rid of it by going to the DVD player's Initial Settings -> Display -> Turn On-Screen Display "Off"

However, that also removes all of the On-screen display! (e.g. when I want to change the subtitle, I have no clue which one I'm on, etc...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

Install V2.1 and that problem should be gone!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #210 of 436 Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Thank you for your help, Hkan! It really did fix the blue status bar problem.

However, now after powered it back on, on the TV screen:

1) The color is gray
2) The pictures move vertically really fast

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page