Samsung 1080P9 grainy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently purchased a Samsung 1080P9 upconverting DVD player to connect via HDMI to my Samsung HP T4264, but the image quality is poor. When using any connection style, HDMI obviously or even comparing against the RCA connections, the image is grainy. It is as though the DVD player is upconverting the image and then the TV is trying to do it a 2nd time. I have read through most of the forums related to upconverstion and it sounds like this is possible. However it seems most people also are happy with the 1080P9, so I am unsure if I am just being picky or a really have a setting wrong.

I have experimented with many different DVD's all with the same result. Stars Wars EP 3, looks good enough I'll admit, but Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix, Mary Poppins, Dodgeball, look grainy. I have tried changing the settings on the DVD player to use i-scan or p-scan, and changing the HDMI quality from auto, 480p, 720p or 1080i, without any improvement.

I have to admit I have the same issue, perhaps worse when I tested watching movies on my Xbox 360. Playing games on the 360 with the same HDMI cable looks amazing, so that is not the issue. HD cable via componenent looks fine as well.

When I watch any DVD on my old DVD Receiver Pioneer XV-HTD510 connected with S Video, they look fine.

The ultimate goal is to take advantage of the HDMI port on my TV, and feed audio via Digital co-ax to my DVD Receiver Pioneer XV-HTD510. Note, audio works fine and is 5.1 from the 1080P9 to the DVD Receiver Pioneer XV-HTD510.

All other inputs are filled, 2 Components are HD cable and Wii. HDMI 1 is Xbox 360, leaving HDMI or S-video as the remaining options.

I was adding the 1080P9 because the DVD Receiver Pioneer XV-HTD510 is beginning to show its age. No DivX, Mp3, JPEG, open/close tray is flaky, while audio remains fine.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Am I expecting too much from this device? Could it be a simple setting that needs to be altered?

Is there a general problem with upconverting older DVD's greater than 5 years? Where's the cut of point where DVD's look good when upconverted?

Samsung support told me to clean the DVD's. Good one.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

So I hooked up the Samsung 1080P9 for good I think, and configured it on my Harmony remote. I guess some movies do look the same or better. I tried Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars Episode 6, Swingers and they all looked good. Wizard of Oz, Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix, Marry Poppins (for the kids) looked worse I think, but maybe some movies just don't upconvert well. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Samsung wrote me back again and this time instead of suggesting the DVD's were dirty, they suggested that my brand new Samsung T4264 Plasma TV doesn't support Progressive Scan, another jem. They obviously don't read the support request very well. They also told me to push the progressive scan button on the front the DVD player to turn progressive scan off, and there is no such button. Would help if they read what models of equipment the person referred to in the support request.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I didn't sound like you calibrated your plasma to match the output of your DVD player yet.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks, but how to you mean? I'm using HDMI, and the Plasma is set to "Just Scan". The DVD player is set to 16:9 , P-scan with Auto-select on HD as opposed to forced 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc.

I have experimented with the DVD on P-scan vs I-scan on the DVD player , forced output of 720P or 1080i all with the same result.

Chris
post #6 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM

You need to calibrate the display so that it shows the correct grayscale and such. For example, when the DVD players sends the digital value for "black" (16) you display should be showing the darkest it can show. There are discs that have the test patterns to do this - Digital Video Essentials, and some other available from people at AVS. There's a whole forum here on display calibration: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for clarifying. I was in the process of obtaining Avia from a friend earlier this afternoon, after reading about it in another thread related to calibration. Glad to know I was heading down the right path.

Thanks,

Chris
post #8 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 222
1st thing you prolly want to do is turn the sharpness setting all the way down in the display. Use a calibration disc with a sharpness screen to verify that the display is "ringing" with higher sharpness settings. Samsungs tend to run "hot" with default settings. WAY too much sharpness, color and contrast all aggravate the "graininess" effect. Turn off auto-contrast and auto-gamma type settings in the display and properly calibrate black, color and white levels. You'll be surprised at the results.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. I definitely don't have the plasma to the factory default settings, I recall finding it too bright and had done some reading regarding settings when I purchased it last Feb. However this was me "eyeballing" to get the right settings. I am really interested to see what changes I make and the results once I run Avia. Hope to do that tonight or the next.

Thanks,

Chris
post #10 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 AM

The only problem with Avia is that is has no "blacker than black" (BTB) or "whiter than white" (WTW) information. It makes is tough to see if the display is clipping these values. DVE (digital video essentials) and GetGray (available here - look in calibration forum) do have test patterns with these.

larry

post #11 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks again. I had read about DVE as well. AVIA was easier for me to obtain from my friend. I will try it first as my introduction to calibration and then move onto GetGrey and DVE. I did find the links to purchase of these products via Google and GetGrey's thread.

Thanks

Chris
post #12 of 14 Old 09-23-2009, 02:07 PM

If anyone is still watching this thread, I'm thinking of getting one of these because it's cheap, I need a new DVD player, and I'm out of work
I have a question though: Does it upconvert (to 720p) via component cables, or only through HDMI? My TV is only 720p.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginigma View Post

If anyone is still watching this thread, I'm thinking of getting one of these because it's cheap, I need a new DVD player, and I'm out of work
I have a question though: Does it upconvert (to 720p) via component cables, or only through HDMI? My TV is only 720p.

I don't know specifically, but the general rule is that upconverting over component is no longer allowed for reasons of Digital Rights Management. Discs that do not have CSS encryption (like home-made backups) are not so restricted, and I think most players that have component will upconvert those.

Your TV scales any supported input signal to its native resolution, so an upconverting player is not essential. It's nice to have choices and things to fiddle with, of course.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #14 of 14 Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 AM

I don't know why do people expect miracles from these devices with internal upscalling video chips...

That's why some video processors cost $5000 USD... Of course it's not the same.

I own the Pioneer DV-LX50, and we cannot compare it to Samsung (with all the respect) and it also does 1080P, but i only take it maximum to 720P with the internal picture treatment.

And one thing that helps is to buy a good HDMI cable with 1.3b profile.
The cable in this case is very very important.... you will get differences like 30% improvement in picture quality.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page