Sony DVP-NS710 - Dumb Remote Design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sony's upconverting DVD player, DVP-NS710HB, is a superb player. But, whoever designed the remote control had their head far up their rear end -- there is no button or function on the remote control to open/close the disc tray! How does this kind of stupidity happen in a leading technology company that has been making DVD players forever?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I agree and it's one of the many reasons I no longer suggest current Sony DVD players, the new remotes suck. I also would miss the lack of S-video and the one I tried also wouldn't output composite and component/HDMI at the same time, something that my 2+ year old Sonys do with no problem.
AFAIK if you have a older Sony remote, they have the eject and will also work with the new players. Eject is one of my favorite remote buttons and I use it basically every time I eject the disc. When I bought a replacement remote for my Sony last year it was only ~$10 including shipping from Sony.
A black version is RMT-D185A and a silver version is RMT-D175A
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Agree. I really gets me steamed when a/v and gps technology companies come out with "new" products/devices that are actually a leap backwards in terms of basic features and capabilities. I regard it as silly and stupid at the same time.

I did an online chat today with a Sony CSR about the NS710's dumb remote, and he insisted it wasn't a design flaw because you have to go to the player anyway to remove the disc. When I pointed out that Sony had provided fully capable remote controls for years with their DVD players and all of the remotes had a button for open/close, so what was different now? There was total silence on the other end for about 10 minutes, then he closed the chat by saying he was really sorry that I was having difficulty with the remote for this DVD player.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The best way I can describe the current Sony ('09) model year DVD players is cheap
I own the following Sony players: the '07 model year player(silver NS-75H) were nicely made but cost ~$120+ for the HDMI upconverting model. The '08 model year (700H) started the decline, it was cheap(not as nicely made as '07) and cost ~$100, it did retain all the features though. With '09 and the introduction of the 710 it retained the cheapness of the '08 model year 700H but dropped several of the nice features present before this model(I briefly tried one but returned it).
I guess I could say people got what they wanted, that is a $69 HDMI upconverting model, but at what expense. What's sad is AFAIK Sony no longer makes what I consider a quality DVD player, in fact most of what is currently available(any brand) for DVD players are junk. Most of the effort seems to be going into BR players, but that's another story DVD seems to be a dying format, at least as far as quality players go I'm glad I have a stock pile of the decent older, quality players
post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 AM

Liked: 12
I have bought sony players for work for the past several years (since panasonic hosed me on an S77 that died one day after the warranty expired) but I have to say that I just got one of the 710's (thankfully only ordered one) and agree it's looking cheap, and now I am seeing reviews suggesting lousy reliability. Time to shop for a new brand for work players *sigh*

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page