Pioneer DVL-919 American Version. What's Inside? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking on buying a Pioneer DVL-919 "American Version", because i still can find it brand new.
I need to know what's inside this machine, is this a CLD-704?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i have read somewhere that the LD section is 6 series and the Dvd section is a none-progressive scan average Pioneer dvd player of its time. The component video out is only for the dvd playback, you have to use s-video or composite for the ld side.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry about my ignorance but i don't understand what you mean with "6 series" underman.

But if i use the component i will use the comb filter from my Pioneer Plasma, that is better than the older comb filters. Does this means that the DVL-919 will be used basically as a transport right?

And if connected to a good video processor/scaler i think it will behave pretty good.

My idea is to save me best units... and use this one when i want to watch Ld's that don't need an X9 or X0 to be played.

At this time it's time to save pickup's and spindles to make them last... call me crazy... LOOOL
post #4 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I would not buy any of Pioneer's LD/DVD combi players. I believe the LD section was based on a CLD-D604, a pretty middle-of-the-road model.

The DVD section is a very crappy first-gen player. 480i output only. Has the chroma bug. Can't output or decode DTS audio at all (on DVD). It's absolutely worthless in this regard.

The player's Component outputs will only work for DVDs. They will not output LD video. You have to use Composite or S-video for that.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It is correct the DVL-919 has the CLD-D604 type of picture, not the sharper more defined picture with the CLD-D704.
As for DVD, agree, an entry level system, only 480i. But the 909 did not output DVD DTS but the 919 does output DVD DTS. That is the main difference between the 909 and 919
post #6 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
sorry i meant cld-d604

you will mostlikely get the best possible picture by using its s-video

919 bitstreams DTS
post #7 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
One nice thing about the DVD side of the 909 (at least the earlier production runs, the ones with the old Pioneer logo I think) was that it was easily made region-selectable (via a remote code) with a blob of solder and could also be modded to have its Macrovision output disabled if I wanted to make an S-VHS backup of anything. I believe it could also be modded to output DTS, but I never bothered since I didn't have a DTS-capable receiver at the time.

Being that it was both my first LD player and my first DVD player, it got a lot of use watching imported DVDs and LDs from Japan. The picture might not have been great but it did a good job serving my needs in the late 90's.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

One nice thing about the DVD side of the 909 (at least the earlier production runs, the ones with the old Pioneer logo I think) was that it was easily made region-selectable (via a remote code) with a blob of solder and could also be modded to have its Macrovision output disabled if I wanted to make an S-VHS backup of anything. I believe it could also be modded to output DTS, but I never bothered since I didn't have a DTS-capable receiver at the time.

All of the DVL-909's had the multi-region and Macrovision disable feature. But the DVD DTS only worked for if you had specific firmware loads. That mod actually gave the 909 the same menu's as the DVL-91, another addition was V-DNR for LDs but the picture is soft enough that was not really needed.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Yes yes yes, I know... it's a really old thread.

But I got one of these recently and discovered something interesting about the DVD side. And possibly it will do this with laserdiscs (but I have only American discs).

As you may know, there are alot of newer DVD players that will convert PAL discs to NTSC on the fly.

This player, when a PAL DVD is inserted (unlike alot of older players out there that will complain and not play the disc) will actually output in PAL. That's right! It will switch the video output from NTSC to PAL.

If you have one of those Sony professional series TV monitors that do both standards... you are all set.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebottle View Post

Yes yes yes, I know... it's a really old thread.

But I got one of these recently and discovered something interesting about the DVD side. And possibly it will do this with laserdiscs (but I have only American discs).

As you may know, there are alot of newer DVD players that will convert PAL discs to NTSC on the fly.

This player, when a PAL DVD is inserted (unlike alot of older players out there that will complain and not play the disc) will actually output in PAL. That's right! It will switch the video output from NTSC to PAL.

If you have one of those Sony professional series TV monitors that do both standards... you are all set.

The 909 would do this too. I never got much use out of it, but I suppose it was nice knowing that I could play a PAL DVD at native framerates/resolution if I wanted to (I also did the region select mod which allowed me to play Region 2 discs, but nearly all the R2 discs I had were Japanese and not PAL).
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page