Is There A DVD Player That Will "Play All"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On many of my DVD discs in the menu there is a "play all" for all movies, sections, chapters, etc. But some discs do not offer this in the menu. Is there a DVD player that has this option in the hardware?

Jim
Traverse City, Mi.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-11-2009, 04:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

On many of my DVD discs in the menu there is a "play all" for all movies, sections, chapters, etc. But some discs do not offer this in the menu. Is there a DVD player that has this option in the hardware?

Jim
Traverse City, Mi.

I've never heard of it. The Play All I have seen has been a feature of DVD authoring, so it will be disc dependent.

A player (or more likely, PC) could ignore the menu structure on the disc and just play everything in some order, but again I haven't heard of it.

Note that the titles on DVD are sometimes not in a "natural" order, so the main feature, supplements, previews, etc might come up in a strange order. Chapters within a title would be ok.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3 of 11 Old 12-11-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think the OP means Play All as region-free dvd's, such as concerts,though.

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #4 of 11 Old 12-11-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Then why would he specifically ask about players that play through all sections and chapters and the menu? I'm pretty sure he's asking if it will play every bit of data on a disc without having the user do anything.

When I saw the thread title, I, too, thought, "He either means region free or maybe universal for SACD and DVD-A", but I'm pretty sure he means "play all the stuff on a given DVD."

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 11 Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
On a few discs I have a play all feature would be handy. Several of the Disney DVDs with old cartoons insist on dumping you back to the main menu after each 7 minute short Most of the DVDs have a play all selection, but not all.
I think you'd need a PC if the disc wasn't authored with a play all selection, and even then I would think it might require a special program.
I've never seen such a DVD player.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

It's my wife that transfers children's programs from DVD to SD chip for playing in the car on a mini computer. Cartoons and other short features could be played thru to the next without intervention from the child watching. I'm trying to avoid sitting there during the transfer and edit on the fly.

Jim
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

It's my wife that transfers children's programs from DVD to SD chip for playing in the car on a mini computer. Cartoons and other short features could be played thru to the next without intervention from the child watching. I'm trying to avoid sitting there during the transfer and edit on the fly.

How are you doing this now? I don't see how a DVD player is involved. Do you have player that copies from a DVD to the SD chip?

What it sounds like is you need a PC "copy all" utility to transfer the DVD contents to SD in some supported format, then a "play all" utility on the car computer.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #8 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well it's just a analog real time transfer from the DVD player to a Neuros mpg4 box that records to the SD chip.

Jim
post #9 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 08:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Well it's just a analog real time transfer from the DVD player to a Neuros mpg4 box that records to the SD chip.

I've never heard of that! You're exploiting the "analog hole" the studios hate so much.

You might check the HTPC forum here, or videohelp.com to see if there is a way of doing the same thing without a player. My impression is that there a few zillion utilities for doing this sort of thing, but I don't follow it very closely.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

there a few zillion utilities for doing this sort of thing-Bill

I'll look in to that. I really was hoping there was a player that played thru the whole disk without stopping. Seems I've seen demo's in stores that play by themselves all day. Wonder what they are using?

Jim
post #11 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I think they use special demo DVDs and not commercial DVDs that you buy/rent.

I really think you have to manipulate the source material to do what you want.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page