Washed out image using component on specific dvds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I am totally new to this world and I just acquired an optoma es522 (800x600) nothing to go crazy about it but still I am very happy except for one thing, when I connect my projector to my zenith progressive scan dvd player (dvb216) using a vga to component adaptor, I get on some dvds a very washed out image with some noise while on some others I get a very clear and beautifull 480p image.

All my dvds are standard definition, my dvd player is set to progressive scan, my projector is compatible but let's say I watch King Kong then the image is almost entirely faded, so I watch it using my svideo input which is a lot better in this specific case.

On the other hand, if I watch Transformers...then the image is crystal clear and beautiful using the same component inputs. It is always the same dvds that play well or not , its not a random thing. I never had any problems with my dvd player using component before, everything was connected to a jvc I'art with no problems at all. I spend the day surfing the web trying to figure this problem but still can't find any solutions. If any of you have a little theory or even a solution! then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Hello! I just wanted to reply to your post saying that I have been having the same problems as you with the washed out DVD colors using component. I have the same projector as you, the Optoma es522. The only thing is that instead of using a component to VGA adapter, I ordered a cable that has the RGB (red green blue) on one end that plugs into the DVD player, and the other end is a male VGA connector that plugs into the projector, therefore I didn't need the adapter (the cable was cheaper). And so I got the cable and tried testing it out on a movie, but the color was washed out. I was kind of annoyed with this and I assumed it was the cable, but later when I tried to show my sister how the image looked weird with a different movie, the image was gorgeous! I tried several DVDs, and some worked and some didn't. I put in the DVDs again, and the same ones that had worked still worked, and the ones that didn't still didn't. And just now I have been trying to research and figure out if this is a common problem, and I have not been having much luck until I read your post. I have recently ordered a S-video cable that I was going to use with the DVDs that don't work with the component, and I hope this will be an upgrade compared to the yellow RCA I've been using, although it would be nice if the component cable worked with all DVDs... and I don't see why it isn't. Sorry if this wasn't really helpful or what you were looking for, but at least you're not the only one who has had this problem!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Not all DVDs are encoded equally and some are made from better masters than others. You may have better luck with more recent DVDs, but there are no guarantees. The only thing you can do is calibrate your display as best you can and hope for the best.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there,

After a couple of screenings, I realized that for exemple all fox and columbia tristar films gave me an awful image while all warner brothers films and sony classics are just beautifull... So I guess they use specific master or ways of encoding as you say. Unfortunately even with a calibration it's still way too bright and washed out so I need to use the s-video cable instead with some films.

But still I don't understand why I did not had this problem before when I was watching my films on a crt television. Can I conclude that the projector might also be part of the problem? I don't worry too much about this detail, I got this projector brand new for a very good price so I can live with that but I am still wondering why it happens now and not before.

Thanks
Jon
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page