Sony DVP-NS710 player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to make a purchase a replacement DVD player. I would like the DVD player to be able to be made region free. I am looking at an up convert DVD since I was told that it will give me a better picture quality. I am not interested in HD. I do need a player that will allow resume play even after the DVD player is turned off and I was told that non of the brands like Samsung or Philips player will do this. I know that Oppo is a great player however I am not interested in spending more than $100. I am considering Sony DVP-NS710 player because I believe it can be made region free using the remote control and I believe that the resume function will work even after the DVD player is turned off. Here is the link for making this DVD player region free.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dv...&Search=Search

I would appreciate any feedback on this player. I know that it has been discontinued so I would like to purchase one before they are all gone. Just like to hear any negative points on the player before I purchase it. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
IMO this is a better choice than the 710, which I purchased and returned.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...057&CatId=4671
It's a great upconverter and remembers the last 6 discs even if unplugged for months.
I don't know if it can be hacked but if the 710 can(next years model) I don't see why the 700 couldn't be.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

IMO this is a better choice than the 710, which I purchased and returned.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...057&CatId=4671
It's a great upconverter and remembers the last 6 discs even if unplugged for months.
I don't know if it can be hacked but if the 710 can(next years model) I don't see why the 700 couldn't be.

Thanks for your quick response. I did a search on 710 and came across a few posts including 1 of yours which said that the remote of the 710 lacks a lot of functions includes the eject button. I think I will take your advice and order the 700. I am going to post up on if anyone knows if the region free code works on their 700 unit.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-dvp-ns700p/1819

Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Both are pretty similar(and have the 6 disc resume feature) but the 710 lacks S-video output and several of the buttons on the remote have been combined, speed for slow and FF are the same on 710 but separate on 700.
For region free and PAL conversion many people like Pioneers. I also have a 410 which also has 6 disc resume, although on the Pio you MUST push STOP to save the point. If you mistakenly push EJECT or POWER first, the resume point is not created. With the Sony anything other than a STOP STOP will create a resume point. I use STOP STOP with my Sonys frequently to free up the resume buffer so I can play many DVDs and it will remember ones I played a long time before.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Both are pretty similar(and have the 6 disc resume feature) but the 710 lacks S-video output and several of the buttons on the remote have been combined, speed for slow and FF are the same on 710 but separate on 700.
For region free and PAL conversion many people like Pioneers. I also have a 410 which also has 6 disc resume, although on the Pio you MUST push STOP to save the point. If you mistakenly push EJECT or POWER first, the resume point is not created. With the Sony anything other than a STOP STOP will create a resume point. I use STOP STOP with my Sonys frequently to free up the resume buffer so I can play many DVDs and it will remember ones I played a long time before.

Thanks for your information. You, like a lot of members here are very knowledgeable on DVD players and willing to help a newbie.

Thanks for all your time and help.

PS, Jjeff, I sent you a PM asking more questions.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested..... here's a cut and paste to csun213 of my response:

Re: Which DVD?
I really like the Sony 700. I mainly bought the Pio 410 because I got it on Craigslist for I believe $35 which was a good price and many people like the Pioneers.
I'd say the picture quality is equal(or a nod to the Sony) and I really prefer the functions of the Sony, including the Sony remote. I don't care for the button layout buttons themselves on the Pio. Not that I'd say the Pio was poor, just different than the Sony which I'm very used to.
That said for region free PAL operation the Pio is what many people prefer although I've not used that function since it's been many years since I've had region free PAL material. The last time was when I had many PAL VHS tapes, so that should tell you how long ago it was
I really don't think you could go wrong with either but with Tiger Direct's price on the Sony(and also Amazon) I'd say that was a better value.

Oh the Pio does have many more buttons on the actual unit itself, if that matters to you. The Sony just has STOP, PLAY, POWER, SKIP and SEARCH. The Pio also has various menu buttons that I personally never use, I use the buttons on the remote.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page