Pioneer Laserdisc HLD-X9 Service Manual - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone got a service manual for one of these they would either like to sell or loan? My repair shop says that Pioneer don't have them online any more, at least not in Europe, and I need to order some spares!

The kind person who sent it from Japan didn't pack it properly, and the laser is stuck in the home position, and makes a clicking noise when powered on, with an E1 or E3 error message. Apparently it needs a new laser and drive belt. I have a link for the laser, but some of the other parts are a problem.

Alternatively, I can bring it with me to the US in February and have someone fix it there?

thanks

phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM

Earlier this year there was a new batch of Service Sheets for the X9 released in the USA.

Unless they have all gone by now - any Service Shop or Trader having an account with Pioneer USA should be able to order one.

I forget the Part Number but a search for parts for the X9 should bring it up.

Try this - Here I am not permitted to post the url - so - - -
All lower case unless in Brackets

HTTP(://)PARTS(DOT)PIONEERELECTRONICS(DOT)COM(/)PART(DOT)ASP?PRODUCT(N)UM=(SMD)96-258(B)

Of course there is the slight snag that its all in Japanese
post #3 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Croucher View Post

Anyone got a service manual for one of these they would either like to sell or loan? My repair shop says that Pioneer don't have them online any more, at least not in Europe, and I need to order some spares!

The kind person who sent it from Japan didn't pack it properly, and the laser is stuck in the home position, and makes a clicking noise when powered on, with an E1 or E3 error message. Apparently it needs a new laser and drive belt. I have a link for the laser, but some of the other parts are a problem.

Alternatively, I can bring it with me to the US in February and have someone fix it there?

thanks

phil

Kurtis Bahr can. I am not sure if he still has his HLD X9, but probably a half dozen years back he brought it over my house with a tweaked CLD-97 and other choices so I could see them on my 100 inch screen and make a choice of how much I wanted to spend given my modest collection. I wasn't goint to spend what the HLD cost, he just brought it over to show me. I ended up with a CLD-79 (already had a Pioneer 704 - now in the secondary basement system and since they share many parts - Kurtis had me order a couple of extra ones so I can keep at least one of them going for quite a while
post #4 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I went to Pioneer Part and input SMD96-258B and it says In-Stock for $18.75.

Tell him with power off to open the player and push the pickup toward the back until it hits the stop, you can do it with one finger a little force. Then plug it in and try it. Maybe the sense switch did not get pressed down properly since it was shipped poorly.

The clucking sound most likely is the pickup trying to more forward when it is already at max forward position.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM

Damn. That's a bad thing. I have a x9 for sale also in the near future and maybe someone has good ideas of proper shipping?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, gentlemen! I will get on to that right away. Unfortunately I can't try the trick Kurtis suggested for a few weeks as I am away, but will certainly try it!

Being only a lowly consumer, talking direct to Pioneer will be a problem - can you suggest a Pioneer dealer who can get the parts on my behalf?

Phil
post #7 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

As for packing, I would suggest a good deal of bubble wrap first and a very strong (preferably triwall) container. That should be enough if the heads are given time to park properly, or you follow the procedure. I had one bozo send me a McIntosh 1702 with just paper rolls round it in a soft card box! Go figure. Yes it was damaged. You may have seen it on ebay recently, sold as spares.

Phil
post #8 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Croucher View Post

thanks

phil

try here:
http://laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm
It may be of some help.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I've managed to eventually get the top off and move the laser assembly as kurtis suggested - now it doesn't make noises, and it moves when you turn the thing on, but the tray now doesn't want to open. Getting there!

phil
post #10 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So you have the pickup to the point where it moves to detect the presence of an LD when powered on, correct. But when you press eject on the remote or unit nothing happens or do you hear a sound lie it is trying? Sometimes the timing get out of sync and you have to force the tray out and then with the tray out get the mechanics to go to the open position and then put the tray back in.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks - will try that!

The new laser arrived the other day, but the service manual, although listed as in stock in the US, can only be obtained through Japan - Pioneer of course are not answering emails! The saga continues.....

Phil
post #12 of 13 Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you ever get it sorted? I am after an X9 service manual also.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send email.
I"ll see what I can do.
hlm3@att.net

Regards,

- Hunter