Play .avi through USB port on DVD player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought two DVD players with USB ports to watch movies (.avi, divx) by simply connecting an external hard drive and/or thumb drive with the movies on it to the usb port.

My experiment involved one inexpensive ONYX (SW2300XS) player from Wal-Mart in Atlantic Canada, and a more expensive PIONEER (DV-420V-K) from futureshop.

The ONYX was a nightmare. Firstly, the file system must be FAT32 format to be read, which isn't so bad once you re-format. But then if you have two avi files on a hard drive, the first avi on the list will play automatically, and the picture will be scrambled, thus not allowing to access other avi files or even mp3's on the hard drive. If you use a thumb drive, formatted to FAT32, still the picture is scrambled, and will shut down entirely shortly after, apparently lacking power. Not a good scenario.

The good news is the more expensive PIONEER loaded avi files to a list, to be easily selected and played, complete with fast forward, rewind, zoom, and what you would expect for basic movie viewing. That is with a Seagate 2TB external hard drive, and avi files, played through the USB port.

I will test the thumb drive with the PIONEER shortly, and inform anyone interested, and I will also test files over 4GB in size to see if they will play on the PIONEER. As for the ONYX it is on its way back to the hole it came from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

The thumb drive worked well on the PIONEER. Perhaps it loaded the avi file more slowly than the Seagate. And while browsing the DVD player options, the thumb drive lost contact, and had to be re-inserted.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am thinking of buying the DV-420V for my standard def CRT. I posted in another 420-K thread but no one answered my questions. I would be very gratefull if you could anwer the following questions.

1)) Does the DV-420V have a zoom feature? How many steps and what magnification?

2)) Can the DV-420V zoom in on a 16:9 DVD and display the picture full screen on a 4:3 set? If so, will the zoom also work while watching a DivX movie from an external HDD connected via the USB 2.0? I can't find this info anywhere, including Hkan's excellent site.

3)) Will the DV-420V play DivX files longer then 1GB, 2GB, 4GB from an external HDD connected via the USB 2.0?

4)) Will the DV-420V play DVD-Video VOB files from an external HDD connected via the USB 2.0? Any file size limits?

5)) Does the resume-play feature work with DivX files on an external HDD?

Thank you!
post #4 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

For your questions I only have a couple answers so far;

The zoom works up to 4x for DivX

Not sure about the 16:9 DVD displaying the picture full screen on a 4:3 set.

I'm looking into what DivX files sizes and resolutions will play.

It will play VOB files through USB 2.0 HDD; for example: I tried an 8 part VOB. The first 3 parts were menu files, played quickly in sequence (no access to menu options). The next five clips played in sequence, including 3 which were just over 1GB in size, with a 1 second interlude between the 1GB clips.

The resume-play (pause-play?) button works for DivX and VOB, and the same goes for the zoom feature. I will let you know about the DivX file sizes.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you kindly for your time.

Re the resume play feature.
I was wondering if you can play a DivX movie. Stop not pause but stop the movie say 15 minutes in. Then hit play and see if the movie will start at the point were you last stopped. Also wondering if that will work if you can also stop the movie 15 minutes in, power off the Pioneer then power back up, hit play and see if the movie will resume play at the spot were it was last stopped.

Re the zoom feature.
You say the zoom will zoom at to 4X. Can you tell me all the zoom steps?
Example step one is X1.5 step 2 is X2 step three is X4?

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
Thanks again
post #6 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

It turns out that the zoom is a two step zoom; first step being 2X and second step being 4X.

The resume play works fine as long as the power is on. You can stop, and resume at the same point, if you don't power down.

I attached a couple photos to see.

I am still looking into what DivX files sizes and resolutions will play.

I attached a photo of the menu view as well, which only displays half the screen for file browsing. The movie there seen is not actually called 'The Rig', only the full title is cut off.
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the pics.

Unfortunately for me the X2, X4 zoom feature is the deal breaker that will prevent me from purchasing this model deck. I need a deck that will allow around 1.3x zoom to get rid of the black bars of WS content. I can't believe that Pioneer neglected to include such a wanted zoom ratio. Too bad because everything else about this deck seems perfect. Oh well.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your new deck. It does seem like a perfect deck, aside from the missing fit-to-screen zoom.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abramabruzzo View Post

I bought two DVD players with USB ports to watch movies (.avi, divx) by simply connecting an external hard drive and/or thumb drive with the movies on it to the usb port.

My experiment involved one inexpensive ONYX (SW2300XS) player from Wal-Mart in Atlantic Canada, and a more expensive PIONEER (DV-420V-K) from futureshop.

The ONYX was a nightmare. Firstly, the file system must be FAT32 format to be read, which isn't so bad once you re-format. But then if you have two avi files on a hard drive, the first avi on the list will play automatically, and the picture will be scrambled, thus not allowing to access other avi files or even mp3's on the hard drive. If you use a thumb drive, formatted to FAT32, still the picture is scrambled, and will shut down entirely shortly after, apparently lacking power. Not a good scenario.

The good news is the more expensive PIONEER loaded avi files to a list, to be easily selected and played, complete with fast forward, rewind, zoom, and what you would expect for basic movie viewing. That is with a Seagate 2TB external hard drive, and avi files, played through the USB port.

I will test the thumb drive with the PIONEER shortly, and inform anyone interested, and I will also test files over 4GB in size to see if they will play on the PIONEER. As for the ONYX it is on its way back to the hole it came from.

I wish I'd read this before damaging my cerebral cortex with numerous attempts to play movies on my Onyx via its USB port. This is a tragically flawed machine. The instruction manual has such classic broken english as "blue LED will bright". After hrs of mashing buttons and wanting to smash this piece of S*%# I too will be taking it back to the hole it came from. Thank you for your letter, my GF and I loved it. Tears running down our faces in fact.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM

I just got the Onyx for my girlfriend and noticed the same issue, I cant seem to find their website with any details, I also wanted to see if maybe they had come out with a firmware upgrade that fixed the issue.

Right now she's using an Asus O!play but she wants to be able to play dvd's too, doesn't anyone know of another inexpensive dvd/usb hdd player that I could pick up to replace the onyx?

Thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 12-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why don't you just break down and buy a media player?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page